Monoprice Monolith AMT Headphones
Nov 12, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #17 of 290
So I sent an email to tech support at Monoprice. I asked if their AMT was a rebranded 850, and they said no; grain of salt, for whatever that is worth.

... if you believe that a company would answer that question honestly (assuming that the frontline support even knows what a GL850 actually is). I wouldn't personally put any weight on that response.

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #20 of 290
Please, when you get the time, give us your first impressions of the headphone's sound quality or signature, and also what DAC/Amp you are using with it. Thanks for your time.

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #21 of 290
Arrived yesterday. Unboxing experience is typical Monoprice: underwhelming. Both the Gold Planar GL1200 and Harmonicdyne Zeus (my two actively used sets of headphones) came in extrmely robust pelican-style carrying cases, whereas with these AMT you get a flimsy cardboard box. A single support card, no user manual or other materials.

These, as expected are HEFTY. You definitely feel them on your head... although the pads are exceptionally comfortable.

Cable is very robust, but appears to have a fair amount of memory.

The L/R labeling on the connectors is almost impossible to see, being white on silver. Luckily the slot buttons are color coded black and red (red = right). The fit of the connectors is uneven, with one side being more tight than the other. There is no satisfying "click" to tell you when the connectors are firmly seated, nor is there a twist lock.

I've got these burning in, and want to avoid drawing any conclusions at this point, but initial impressions are that the soundstage is fairly wide, on par with the Zeus (which has a wide soundstage), if not slightly wider, at the expense of front-to-back depth. Textures have a bit more substance than the Zeus, at the expense of impact (to be somewhat expected, given that the Zeus has dynamic drivers).

I'm driving both and A/bing with a Marantz HD-DAC1, using Peace to volume-match, flat no EQ.

Are they worth $999? Far too early to tell.

Some craptacular unboxing pics:

amt01.jpg

amt02.jpg

amt03.jpg

amt04.jpg

amt05.jpg

amt06.jpg

amt07.jpg

amt08.jpg

amt09.jpg

amt10.jpg

amt11.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #22 of 290
Arrived yesterday. Unboxing experience is typical Monoprice: underwhelming. Both the Gold Planar GL1200 and Harmonicdyne Zeus (my two actively used sets of headphones) came in extrmely robust pelican-style carrying cases, whereas with these AMT you get a flimsy cardboard box. A single support card, no user manual or other materials.

These, as expected are HEFTY. You definitely feel them on your head... although the pads are exceptionally comfortable.

Cable is very robust, but appears to have a fair amount of memory.

The L/R labeling on the connectors is almost impossible to see, being white on silver. Luckily the slot buttons are color coded black and red (red = right). The fit of the connectors is uneven, with one side being more tight than the other. There is no satisfying "click" to tell you when the connectors are firmly seated, nor is there a twist lock.

I've got these burning in, and want to avoid drawing any conclusions at this point, but initial impressions are that the soundstage is fairly wide, on par with the Zeus (which has a wide soundstage), if not slightly wider, at the expense of front-to-back depth. Textures have a bit more substance than the Zeus, at the expense of impact (to be somewhat expected, given that the Zeus has dynamic drivers).

I'm driving both and A/bing with a Marantz HD-DAC1, using Peace to volume-match, flat no EQ.

Are they worth $999? Far too early to tell.

Some craptacular unboxing pics:

amt01.jpg

amt02.jpg

amt03.jpg

amt04.jpg

amt05.jpg

amt06.jpg

amt07.jpg

amt08.jpg

amt09.jpg

amt10.jpg

amt11.jpg
Got some more initial impressions for us???

Nov 17, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #23 of 290
Not at this point. I haven't had a chance to listen further, and I'm about to head out of town until Sunday so won't be able to listen further until then. I plan to leave the headphones playing to burn-in in my absence.

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #24 of 290
Well, just got my pair today, and I’ve already initiated a return. Sorry folks, but these are terrible. They don’t have anywhere near the resolution of the HEDDphone. They’re made like crap. The mini XLR connectors won’t even lock when inserted into the earcups. My balanced XLR cable that works for all Audeze and ZMF headphones, makes no sound when plugged into these. I guess they have some bullsh$t, non-standard pin out. And they sound both muffled and sometimes sibilant at the same time.

They have only a few positives. The headband has way more extensions than the HEDDphone. So those with giant pumpkin melons will be able to wear these. They’re noticeably lighter than the HEDDphone and have much less clamp as well. Other than that, they’re hot napalm garbage.

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #25 of 290
Well, just got my pair today, and I’ve already initiated a return. Sorry folks, but these are terrible. They don’t have anywhere near the resolution of the HEDDphone. They’re made like crap. The mini XLR connectors won’t even lock when inserted into the earcups. My balanced XLR cable that works for all Audeze and ZMF headphones, makes no sound when plugged into these. I guess they have some bullsh$t, non-standard pin out. And they sound both muffled and sometimes sibilant at the same time.

They have only a few positives. The headband has way more extensions than the HEDDphone. So those with giant pumpkin melons will be able to wear these. They’re noticeably lighter than the HEDDphone and have much less clamp as well. Other than that, they’re hot napalm garbage.

lol, well that pretty much puts it to rest. Pack it up folks. Move on. Nothing to see here.

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #26 of 290
That non standard pin-out could be the same as used on their 1570. Your headphone or amp can get damaged by that so be very careful.

That non-standard pin-out is a non starter for me. I hate it. They don't even make their own "Monolith" Balanced cable for it so it is completely pointless.

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #27 of 290
That non standard pin-out could be the same as used on their 1570. Your headphone or amp can get damaged by that so be very careful.

That non-standard pin-out is a non starter for me. I hate it. They don't even make their own "Monolith" Balanced cable for it so it is completely pointless.
No worries. It’s boxed up and making its way back to Jabroniville. If it was on Monoprice’s dime, I’d send it via airmail. They really need to step up their game, because those get curb-stomped by 30 year old Sennheiser 600/650/6xx for 1/4 the price. Pathetic.

Nov 19, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #28 of 290
Yeah, the manufacturing design and quality control is poor on these, especially with respect to the connectors. With respect to sound however, I think that sending them back the very same day you receive them is more than a bit premature. I noticed a fair difference after 24 hours of burn-in vs. straight out of the box. Personally, I never come to a final conclusion on a set of headphones without allowing both sufficient burn-in and a subjective acclimation period.

I'm not saying these are great or horrible... I don't know yet, and won't until after I get back home next week and have more time to evaluate extensively.

Nov 19, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #29 of 290
Yeah, the manufacturing design and quality control is poor on these, especially with respect to the connectors. With respect to sound however, I think that sending them back the very same day you receive them is more than a bit premature. I noticed a fair difference after 24 hours of burn-in vs. straight out of the box. Personally, I never come to a final conclusion on a set of headphones without allowing both sufficient burn-in and a subjective acclimation period.

I'm not saying these are great or horrible... I don't know yet, and won't until after I get back home next week and have more time to evaluate extensively.
Agree to disagree.

Nov 19, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #30 of 290

Well, supposedly they will have a compatible XLR cable... in 5 months... for $80. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=43238

At least this will give M1570/M1570C/AMT owners something as an option, but it really would have been better if they had just made the pin-out the same as the rest of the companies that use that connector. Doing non-standard wiring of an existing connector (or a proprietary connector) really rubs me the wrong way, too. That's pretty much my only complaint with my Onkyo A800; using the 3.5mm connectors on the cups but wiring them weird so aftermarket cables won't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back