Monoprice Electrostatic Headphone
May 22, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #91 of 137
They are actually genuine leather? Monprice's product page clearly states "Protein leather" and even the best quality pleather doesn't breathe at all, unlike real leather, which is the main aspect I can't stand of pleather.
You are right, I just going of if spritzers review that they were leather

May 25, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #93 of 137
They are down to 250 right now
Ya that is a very good price for them. The Koss esp-9XX are $450 on Drop. Both are good prices, the Koss are a bit better over all, but the Monoprice arer still good.

May 26, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #95 of 137
Are the monoprice worth it at 250? Do they actually portray elecrostat signature?
Yes, but they do lack bass. They have a very clear picture of the recording being played. They might be a bit cleaner on the mids and highs than the Koss ESP-950, but very close.

May 26, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #96 of 137
Yes, but they do lack bass. They have a very clear picture of the recording being played. They might be a bit cleaner on the mids and highs than the Koss ESP-950, but very close.
How's the headstage compared to the Koss? Also: everything sounds bigger to me on some phones with larger diaphragms. That the case here as well? A sense of bigness on the Koss that you don't get on the Monolith?

May 27, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #97 of 137
Are the monoprice worth it at 250? Do they actually portray elecrostat signature?

You might want to check the thread on head case. It's definitely true these have a quality electrostat signature, but a member there did a head to head comparison against the Koss. Both with a more powerful amp. He found they lacked extension in BOTH bass and treble. Very mid centric compared to the Koss.

That killed my temptation for these.

May 27, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #98 of 137
Since Monoprice has a 30 day money back guarantee you only have postage to loose. I have been tempted to buy a 2nd pair just to have in reserve, but then again I could say the same about the ESP950.

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #100 of 137
Well, for only $250 and the fact that I can always return them if they suck, I pulled the trigger. I've enjoyed planars, and always wanted to take that next step to electrostatics, but the high price has held me back. This seemed to be an excellent opportunity.

Jun 5, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #101 of 137
As long as you know what you're getting into with these, they make sense. I personally cancelled my order before they arrived since the lack of bass and portability (given their build and the nature of electrostatics, portable energizer or not) were a deal breaker for me and I'm jumping ship to a pair of HE4xx's.

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #103 of 137
Well, for only $250 and the fact that I can always return them if they suck, I pulled the trigger. I've enjoyed planars, and always wanted to take that next step to electrostatics, but the high price has held me back. This seemed to be an excellent opportunity.
There are some similarities in planar and electrostatic sound since they both work with diaphragm. Just don't expect planar bass since the diaphragm are so much thinner/lighter weight and thus move less air. This seems to be, from what I've read, exaggerated on the Monoprice (I only have an ESP/95X).

I'm pretty happy right now with my HE-400. I'm going to start modding them. New grill and fabric to widen them up. Witch currently already have massive sound stage to me.
The HE-400 is a criminally underrated headphone. I don't know what pads you are using but I absolutely love my HE-400 with Lambskin Ori pads (or AliExpress knock offs, which is what I use https://a.aliexpress.com/_dWNgVgi). It widens the Soundstage and gives them such a rich and detailed midrange which is not something that hifimans are known for. I liked them before but now they are in tight competition for my favorite headphone in my collection. It's a shame they don't make them anymore. I'm really glad I didn't sell them when I got my 4xx.

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #104 of 137
There are some similarities in planar and electrostatic sound since they both work with diaphragm. Just don't expect planar bass since the diaphragm are so much thinner/lighter weight and thus move less air. This seems to be, from what I've read, exaggerated on the Monoprice (I only have an ESP/95X).

The HE-400 is a criminally underrated headphone. I don't know what pads you are using but I absolutely love my HE-400 with Lambskin Ori pads (or AliExpress knock offs, which is what I use https://a.aliexpress.com/_dWNgVgi). It widens the Soundstage and gives them such a rich and detailed midrange which is not something that hifimans are known for. I liked them before but now they are in tight competition for my favorite headphone in my collection. It's a shame they don't make them anymore. I'm really glad I didn't sell them when I got my 4xx.
I use the stock velour and run them without the foam in the grills. I love them so much I bought a back up pair for 120. I'll check out the pads you recommend, I rum them off a monoprice portable thx amp.

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #105 of 137
Aaaaannndddd.... sale's over. They're back up to $630 now. I'm guessing there will be a bunch on eBay (and Amazon, etc. 3rd-party sellers) at around $400 in a week or so. Maybe sooner if people don't even wait to receive them. I remember it saying "limit 20" on the sale price - lol. Seriously, I wonder if anybody bought a whole bunch of them to flip? So far my pair hasn't even shipped yet. Status is still "In Progress".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back