Monoprice 8323 Vs. PANASONIC RP-HTF600
Mar 23, 2012 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Dyjon54

100+ Head-Fier
Trying to figure out which ones to buy right now. My limit is at 40$ Will be used for gaming and mostly R&B music. (More gaming than anything)I will take any other recommendations as well.

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 26
You really won't go wrong with either of those. I bought two of the Monoprice and gave one to a friend that destroys headphone (daps and iems as well) He's been wearing them now for three months. Really solid build, I'm not saying they won't break but they haven't yet. I like the sound of them, the look and fit not as much, acceptable. They are great phones at that price and close to really good on sound quality only!
In case you didn't know these are Kicker rebranded!?

I haven't heard the Pannies but they are one of Dsnuts Favs and he knows the scoop on "best budget headphones" Your call: I don't see how you could go wrong with either? Flip a coin, pick it on looks? Get them both, sell the one you like least?

Reading about them will only take you so far........listening is where it is.

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 26
I bought the htf-600 and was very very impressed with the hp for $30. You can even add the velour beyer pads for extra comfort. You just can't go wrong with them for the money.

thanks....Matt

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 26
Both are great for the money, but I'd say based on everything I've read seems like Monoprice has a lot better build quality (exceptionally well for this price) and the HTF600 has quite poor build quality but has possibly slightly better sound quality (altough both are good but HTF600 should have way better soundstage at least).

So it's your call what you prioritize, if build quality => Monoprice if Sound quality => HTF600 IMO.

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
Both are great for the money, but I'd say based on everything I've read seems like Monoprice has a lot better build quality (exceptionally well for this price) and the HTF600 has quite poor build quality but has possibly slightly better sound quality (altough both are good but HTF600 should have way better soundstage at least).

So it's your call what you prioritize, if build quality => Monoprice if Sound quality => HTF600 IMO.

I think that a good way to put it. But don't think that the Panasonic is just gonna fall apart. I had no trouble at all.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 26
The build quality for the pannies, while not exceptional, are very well built for the money. I've had $80 headphones that have creaked, frayed and snapped apart in two days. These are, if you are kind to them, will last you a long time.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 26
I'm more talking about the low quality diaphragm that causes the driver to get stuck in wrong position which leads to distortion/volume imbalance, seems to be very common issue. I've never heard of any other headphones whit this issue. On mine I've had it happen only cuz of the "suction" effect being too strong when putting them on, not fun if it happens in middle of an online gaming session etc. For me it went into the wrong positioning probably 5 or so times in matter of 2 or so months at least and then you have to blow towards the driver to get it back into position.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 26

Quote:
yes, good of you to ask, I'd like an opinion on these Superlux HD-668 B in comparison to the two already listed.

I haven't heard the Superlux, but I had the Samson SR850 which is supposed to be the same and I also have the MP 8323 and between the two I greatly preferred the Samsons. The Monos were bad by any means, but I found the Samsons to be much more comfortable, had a much wider soundstage, and a more balanced sound signature.

I haven't tried the HTF600s so I don't know how they compare, but if you can find a pair of the Superlux or Samsons for only a bit more than the Monos I'd go that route. Note that the Superlux and Samsons are semi-open so if you need isolation they won't be the best choice since the Monos are closed.

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #13 of 26
Superlux/Samson and Monoprice and the HTF600 offer such a different sound signatures so it's difficult to say that, it'll depend on what the person is looking for. The Samson/Superlux are bright but laid-back sounding in the soundstage (mids aren't pushed in-your-face) unlike on Monoprice & HTF600 which are also much warmer sounding with slightly rolled-off highs. Monoprice and HTF600 are somewhat close in the sound signature but HTF600 has the significant edge in soundstage though. Superlux/Samson excells if a person is looking for the most detailed sound with big soundstage for the price but not THAT engaging or fun headphone to listen to and has slightly "hollow" sound (clear mids but "distant" sounding) due to lack of mid-forwadness while Monoprice/HTF600 are more engaging/fun with a more forward sounding midrange but a lot warmer/smoother and therefore offer lack of resolution in the highs/mids compared to Superlux/Samson. I'd personally go for HTF600 soundwise but for some1 else it could very well be the opposite, it depends how you want it to sound like, I'm always for maximum engaging sound (for me that means forward/in-your-face midrange/vocals) and non-emphasized highs(!), not necessarily for the most detailed sound possible but a little more warmth/smoothness to the sound (I don't like excessive sparkle that I wouldn't hear in real-life either).

Only by testing different headphones one gets to learn which kind of sound is your personal optimal one. HTF600 and Samson SR850 are both cheap and sounds quite different so it'd be good to pick up both to get a rough idea in what direction to go.

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 26
What kind of gaming are you after? For me the panasonics dont work for competitive gaming. For immersion they were ok but bass was lacking for me. Soundstage is great for normal use but not for accuracy. They sound great for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back