Monoprice 8320 or JVC HA-FX40?
Jun 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking to get a new pair of budget IEMs, as my previous pair of IEMs have broken. 

I have a low budget of preferably under 50$, needed the ability to wear straight down, lots of comfort, and extreme clarity and detail with good treble alongside prominent bass with decent mids.

I have come along these two models of IEMs (8320 and HA-FX40) and decided that they'd both be a decent fit for me.

I am wondering which would be the consensus as to which is better. They're both WELL within my budget, though I am leaning slightly towards the 8320 as I can actually order the IEM itself from the official Monoprice website to Canada, whilst the FX40 must be bought off eBay or something. Also, I like them as they are a bit cheaper.

Unfortunately, I do need lots of durability as these will be my "day-to-day, wear-and-tear,disposable-pair" (hey that rhymed!) IEMs for use when my MDR-V6's just arent portable enough. So durability is important.

Which of the two IEMs are better than the other; and why?

If you have a different suggestion, feel free to give it.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
kinda hard to recommend when you don't even provide sound preference
These 2 IEMs are different, 8320 is more balanced while fx40 is v-shaped

Oh, sorry, yes you're right.

My preference is similar to my MDR-V6. Which is a bright sounding headphone with still a very prominent base, but not completely recessed mids. More emphasive on clarity and detail.

Is that good, or am I missing anything?

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 18
Seems like FX40s fit the bill better, bright, prominent bass, excellent clarity (some people say they are on-par with $100 IEMs), though the lower-mid is recessed. Also if you have small ears, its best if you avoid 8320. Just my opinion
If you want to go for 8320, I suggest you buy 9927, more tips to choose from

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
Seems like FX40s fit the bill better, bright, prominent bass, excellent clarity (some people say they are on-par with $100 IEMs), though the lower-mid is recessed. Also if you have small ears, its best if you avoid 8320. Just my opinion
If you want to go for 8320, I suggest you buy 9927, more tips to choose from

I think I will go for the FX40s then, thank you for your help! My ears are a little on the bigger side, so hopefully it wont be an issue.

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 18
FX40 is the way to go. It fits your preferred sound sig better and usually(always) fits and isolates better than the 8320. I own both and am floored the FX40 is as cheap as it is. I use them as my sleeping IEM's and they stay put all night. Make sure to give them 50 hours of burn in before you pass final judgment. The treble is usually to bright out of the box for most people.

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am wondering which would be the consensus as to which is better. They're both WELL within my budget, though I am leaning slightly towards the 8320 as I can actually order the IEM itself from the official Monoprice website to Canada, whilst the FX40 must be bought off eBay or something. Also, I like them as they are a bit cheaper.

Future Shop carries the FX40s and they go on sale on a pretty regular basis.

Also, the 8320s are incredibly difficult to wear cable down.

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 18
I got mine from amazon.

But, I wouldn't have a problem trusting an ebay seller especially if you use paypal..

I checked amazon Canada, but they seem to list the earphone as "discontinued" last I checked... Very weird.

I'll look closer into the eBay seller :) I was worried about get a fake FX40... If they exist

Future Shop carries the FX40s and they go on sale on a pretty regular basis.

Also, the 8320s are incredibly difficult to wear cable down.

Yeah I saw futureshop's ad for it, thought it was for 50$... They may be worth it, but it sounds weird to buy a 25$ headphone for 2x the price :/

And thanks for the info!

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 18
I own the 8320 and they are a great value. I will say however that neither I, nor anyone who has worn them (about 5) thinks they are comfortable.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 18
Got myself a pair of Dunu Trident dn12 a while back these were pretty good, not sure how they stack up to the fx40 though? im also trying to work out wether to get a pair or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back