Monolith M300 In Ear Planar Earphones
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #151 of 659
Have you tried upping the highs a tad in EQ? I remember reading that the iSine pretty much suck without EQ and/or the Cypher Cable.

Maybe that's a sort of issue here? Seems...odd...that a planar would have "dark" highs, no? If anything I would expect bass to be missing and mids and highs to be more forward.

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #152 of 659
Have you tried upping the highs a tad in EQ? I remember reading that the iSine pretty much suck without EQ and/or the Cypher Cable.

Maybe that's a sort of issue here? Seems...odd...that a planar would have "dark" highs, no? If anything I would expect bass to be missing and mids and highs to be more forward.

No, the bass is great. I threw on Hydrogen by M|O|O|N and it is very satisfying. Not as satisfying as the 1060s, but I was pretty shocked. There's only so much you can expect from them, but it's good news so far for bass heads. I haven't even tried my bass boost on my F18 yet...

I haven't done a whole lot with EQ. Wouldn't really know where to begin.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #153 of 659
For those of you waiting be careful with the earhooks when you receive them. I read prior to receiving my M300's that the earhooks are extremely fragile and oh boy they weren't kidding. I was extremely gentle with them when swapping between them and the earlocks and still broke one. As far as wearing them over ear I haven't had any luck with the stock cable or an aftermarket one. Plus the nozzles are angled forward and don't fit well in the ear canal wearing them over ear.

Question: Are there any third-party ear clips that can be purchased for either this or the iSine, or are they proprietary?

I just got home and tried these and my first impression is... fans of treble need not apply.

Very interesting. That is the exact opposite of what DMS3 said in his review. He had found the M300 to have better treble than the Audeze iSine, whose treble he said "just disappeared". He said about the M300 "They're still dark, but not treble-lost-into-oblivion dark [like the iSine]; more like LCD-2 dark."

Maybe they're just dark compared to what you normally listen to and you prefer a strong treble presence?

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #154 of 659

I agree that isine 10 without eq or cipher doesn't sound good. But, wrt planars, in general, I have found it to be more precise and tight, but sounding quite different from dynamic, with less air relatively, not giving some feel for bass. But others like me love it. . Isine 10 with cipher, still was very smooth and likely had a roll off in the higher frequencies based on my impressions.

As you said , hope some good eq settings come to fix any m300 issues like isine 10.

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #155 of 659
Very interesting. That is the exact opposite of what DMS3 said in his review. He had found the M300 to have better treble than the Audeze iSine, whose treble he said "just disappeared". He said about the M300 "They're still dark, but not treble-lost-into-oblivion dark [like the iSine]; more like LCD-2 dark."

Maybe they're just dark compared to what you normally listen to and you prefer a strong treble presence?

I'm not saying they're "treble-lost-into-oblivion dark" either. It's there, but they are certainly darker than any of the headphones I listed and as you can see, I have a lot of Beyers... the Zen 2 have much less bass, so you might be on to something about me having a strong treble lineup. Still, there's no denying for me that the treble is the least forward aspect of these, enough that I would describe them as I did.

I wouldn't say that me and DMS3 described it all that different...he's obviously had a lot more experience though.

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #156 of 659
If you have a strong treble line-up of headphones, you should give it some extended listening time for your ears to adjust to the sig. But yeah, headphone's sig is sig unless you EQ, and that is if EQ(preferably PEQ) is quality.

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #157 of 659
If you have a strong treble line-up of headphones, you should give it some extended listening time for your ears to adjust to the sig. But yeah, headphone's sig is sig unless you EQ, and that is if EQ(preferably PEQ) is quality.

I've tried messing around a bit with the EQ on my comp. I'm using the Asus STX II as a DAC on here, so I was just using the one in their tool. I'm not thrilled about any of the changes I made, so I'm just listening to them as-is (Hi-Fi mode), to get used to them like you said.

Might take them along to work to listen at break and lunch more on my E18, but I'm pretty sure I'm keeping them.

This cable though... going to have to see about replacing that.

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #158 of 659
I heard the Aeon. Not all that great for the price. Not much warmth, and can get sibilant. Don't believe the bull reviews. Same goes for the MrSpeakers Flows. Overpriced.

I'm starting to really distrust Tyll now with the Aeon review and the iSines. He needs to get his ball going with truthful reviews. He needs to help us get value for our hard earned money! He needs to try out many headphones including Monoprice ones.
I know this is not an Aeon thread. I also well know that everyone hears differently. I also believe that most, if not all, upper mid-fi and up headphones are over priced. That all having been said, anyone at all interested should make an effort to audition the Aeon.

I was an early adopter. The Aeon has been getting most of the head time over the last month or so. I use them in preference to headphones like the M1060 and even my HEK V1. But then there are situations where I require the isolation of the Aeon. So that is a factor as well.

I consider them to be an excellent choice, especially at the price point.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #159 of 659
I've tried messing around a bit with the EQ on my comp. I'm using the Asus STX II as a DAC on here, so I was just using the one in their tool. I'm not thrilled about any of the changes I made, so I'm just listening to them as-is (Hi-Fi mode), to get used to them like you said.

Might take them along to work to listen at break and lunch more on my E18, but I'm pretty sure I'm keeping them.

This cable though... going to have to see about replacing that.
The Fiio E18 has always sounded warm to me. That may be contributing to the lack of treble presence that you're experiencing.

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #160 of 659
So to those that own them...are they worth it? Are they a substantial value at $150? Own a pair of ShockWave 3's now that I think sound pretty amazing and really looking for that next ~$150 King. These seem interesting enough and the technology is somewhat proven.

Do I pull the trigger?

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #161 of 659
So to those that own them...are they worth it? Are they a substantial value at $150? Own a pair of ShockWave 3's now that I think sound pretty amazing and really looking for that next ~$150 King. These seem interesting enough and the technology is somewhat proven.

Do I pull the trigger?
You can consider the Sine at $299 also.

Oct 2, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #163 of 659
They are dark but the Treble isn't missing by any means. The lows are slightly elevated compared to my HD600 with a seemingly noticeable drop towards the upper mids (which makes some types of music sound unrealistic) followed by neutral highs which results in a overall dark signature. In terms of tonality, the mids felt like a major downside to me. Sadly, because of the loose connector on my pair, i am gonna return them ASAP instead of giving them some more time.

To add to it, the above impressions were with the default Silicon tips provided. I tried my Spirals on them as well and they improve the mids a bit but also made it slightly more sibilant. But again, i am very sensitive to treble so some people might actually like the Spirals on them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back