Monolith M300 In Ear Planar Earphones
Sep 28, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #121 of 659
Ok. I agree. Non cipher, it just sounded .... wrong. (Didn't spend much time with non cipher for a critical listening)

The eq setting which was being used in the cipher cable was posted in the isine thread a while back. Do try that in case you have them. But, yeah needs PEQ which some daps support, and if using a mobile phone with a portable dac/amp, would be difficult to replicate except in some specific music player apps. (Streaming apps like tidal don't work)
Foremost and the crucial problem for the non-cipher cable is that it is not DSP'd. You get raw response. Also, not all EQ are equal in features and effectiveness, and different sources perform at different levels, and the better performers may not have proper EQ. Cipher is limited to lightening cable iphones devices. All this is limiting for many of us.

I prefer good raw response.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #122 of 659
No impressions yet?

DMS3 TV is still the only review I can find. I don't know if he broke NDA (or wasn't under one) or if there's just a lack of interest in the industry.

We know Zeos has one, as he posted an unboxing video on the 9th, so he's had plenty of time... but again, it doesn't look like he has any compelling interest to get it out there soon, or he's still under NDA.

EDIT: If you're talking about us regular folk, the soonest it would get here is sometime today for someone who chose 1-day shipping (I did not).

EDIT 2: Zeos is streaming right now on Twitch if someone wants to ask him.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #123 of 659
And my delivery date was pushed back to Wednesday, which was more in line with what I originally expected. Too bad however, momentarily got my hopes up.

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #124 of 659
Just received my pair and while i am loving the sound, unfortunately the left connector seems to be loose. Twisting the cable a bit seems to make the left earpiece cut off :frowning2:

The right ear piece doesn't have this problem so it looks like a Quality control issue.....

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #125 of 659
Just received my pair and while i am loving the sound, unfortunately the left connector seems to be loose. Twisting the cable a bit seems to make the left earpiece cut off :frowning2:

The right ear piece doesn't have this problem so it looks like a Quality control issue.....

That sucks... hope it's not a widespread issue and they replace it without incident.

Zeos said during his stream that they lack a ~20 degree angle like the Audeze iSines, which he wasn't a fan of (EDIT: That he wasn't a fan of the angle and fit of the M300s, not the iSines). What's your opinion on it? Does it feel like you could wear them for a long time?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #126 of 659
That sucks... hope it's not a widespread issue and they replace it without incident.

Zeos said during his stream that they lack a ~20 degree angle like the Audeze iSines, which he wasn't a fan of (EDIT: That he wasn't a fan of the angle and fit of the M300s, not the iSines). What's your opinion on it? Does it feel like you could wear them for a long time?

Can't say for sure to be honest. My ears are hurting a bit after continuously using them for an hour or so. But it could also be a matter of getting the fit correct.

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #127 of 659
Can't say for sure to be honest. My ears are hurting a bit after continuously using them for an hour or so. But it could also be a matter of getting the fit correct.

If they're like the iSines, then comfort for longer listening will be a challenge for many folks, depending on ear shape.

If the bore diameter is the same as the iSines, here are the eartips that I found to work well.

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #128 of 659
I tried my Spiral Dots on them and they made them sound a bit sibilant.

Anyways, i don't have a lot of disposable income or the time to juggle between RMAs at the moment so instead, i have simply asked them for a Refund as i saw lots of QC issues with previous Monoprice headphones as well.

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #129 of 659
Well I got mine. So far I think they sounds pretty good. The width that it has is definitely a surprise (not really since its supposed to be ripping the iSines off anyways rights?). I am comparing that to the se215s though so I don't think that is very surprising. Space Oddity was definitely a fun listen. I feel at times they can be a bit thin and fatiguing. The fit can take a bit to find with the tips/earhooks. The bottom of my ears ache ever so slightly. The ear hook bits that go inside your ear are a pain in the ass to put in, but once inside your ear they feel pretty secure. The cable is really micrphonic, I don't know if changing the cable will alleviate that issue.They are a bit slippery, but not to the point that Z made it look like.

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #130 of 659
Well I got mine. So far I think they sounds pretty good. The width that it has is definitely a surprise (not really since its supposed to be ripping the iSines off anyways rights?). I am comparing that to the se215s though so I don't think that is very surprising. Space Oddity was definitely a fun listen. I feel at times they can be a bit thin and fatiguing. The fit can take a bit to find with the tips/earhooks. The bottom of my ears ache ever so slightly. The ear hook bits that go inside your ear are a pain in the ass to put in, but once inside your ear they feel pretty secure. The cable is really micrphonic, I don't know if changing the cable will alleviate that issue.They are a bit slippery, but not to the point that Z made it look like.
Should one pay for the $299 sine at Adorama instead ?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #131 of 659
I never heard the iSines, sorry if I gave that impression. Honestly I am very content with the m300 at this point. The detail retrieval is pretty solid, its weirdly airy (kind of contributes to a hollowness I feel), and the bass is pretty extends a lot farther without sounding muddy (Comparing to the SE215). If 299 meant 100% better fit, better cable, better case... maybe? There isn't really anything that I feel I couldn't fix with another ~30 bucks. The case doesn't seem to work right; no matter how you situate the earphones they won't stay in. I feel trying to find a lower microphonic cable would be cool if possible, and maybe trying out those spin fits.

Sep 29, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #132 of 659
... I feel trying to find a lower microphonic cable would be cool if possible, and maybe trying out those spin fits.

This is what I'm most concerned about. I really don't like microphonics, but don't know what to look for in another cable to mitigate the issue. I know a clip helps but is there something (like a material) that will guarantee lower levels or is it a crapshoot? Do the braided cables have less? Etc...

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #134 of 659
This is what I'm most concerned about. I really don't like microphonics, but don't know what to look for in another cable to mitigate the issue. I know a clip helps but is there something (like a material) that will guarantee lower levels or is it a crapshoot? Do the braided cables have less? Etc...
Yeah, I think they are really prevalent on this cable because of the cloth material on them. That said I don't really notice it when music is actually playing, but it might just be my mind filtering out the noise. I would think that those wire-braided cables would help, but I am not sure.

EDIT: Already broke one of the black clips. I wonder if the Audeze clips would fit, and if they did would be more comfortable?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #135 of 659
It's been days now...who has these? Who is working on an indepth review?

I'm literally shocked there's not more info on these. With the iSine 10 and 20 being as popular as they are the lack of nearly anything for something so cheap and robust is very odd.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back