Monolith M300 In Ear Planar Earphones
Sep 26, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #106 of 659
I hope these don't plague the issues the iSines have when it comes to the frequency response with wonky mids.

Have heard the iSine10 on the cipher cables, which doesn't seem to have that issue.(i found it to be slightly weighty, thick for my tastes, but still very good) .I guess, the EQ they have applied solves the problem.

You had this problem with cipher cables? What do you mean by wonky mids? I'd be happy if it is able to get close to isine10 with cipher cables in SQ.

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #109 of 659
50 bucks shipping to Europe? For IEMs which weigh virtually nothing? Oh, and Customs duty will be levied on the shipping cost too...
It's more about box size, which is "huge" considering the small contents. And there will be a larger box to protect the product box I guess.

See

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #110 of 659
Well, just ordered a balanced cable, more or less hoping it is the right one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/***...32818799415.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.jAPhXq

It looks like a similar build to a cable I picked up that was disappointing, hopefully this isn't the case. I'm waiting on an inexpensive VE balanced cable from Massdrop myself.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #113 of 659
Well, just ordered a balanced cable, more or less hoping it is the right one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/***...32818799415.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.jAPhXq

Looks pretty nice. I'm just worried about the microphonics level on the stock one. I know the M1060 cable has some and since these ship with what looks like essentially the same (if not a recycled gen 1 M1060 salvage) cable... With the M1060s I haven't bothered to change it, because I'm just at home and microphonics are hardly ever an issue, but walking around on campus, I get the feeling that it's going to bother me a whole lot more with the M300s.

Is that even something that can be mitigated? I've only ever owned low quality IEMs before this (not my only headphones, just not many of this type), and the cable was always like a stethoscope.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #114 of 659
Have heard the iSine10 on the cipher cables, which doesn't seem to have that issue.(i found it to be slightly weighty, thick for my tastes, but still very good) .I guess, the EQ they have applied solves the problem.

You had this problem with cipher cables? What do you mean by wonky mids? I'd be happy if it is able to get close to isine10 with cipher cables in SQ.
Without cipher cable for me. I had to EQ to raise the upper mids and drop the mid hump, which creates a wonky sounding output. I hope this isn't the case with the m300.

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #115 of 659
It looks like a similar build to a cable I picked up that was disappointing, hopefully this isn't the case. I'm waiting on an inexpensive VE balanced cable from Massdrop myself.
Can you share a link to that cable you ordered? I have a similar one from Penon Audio between my Onkyo DP-S1 and an Oppo PM-3, with that and the dap's balanced out I had a boost in mid's and high freq, at first I hated the PM's muddy sound.
Looks pretty nice. I'm just worried about the microphonics level on the stock one. I know the M1060 cable has some and since these ship with what looks like essentially the same (if not a recycled gen 1 M1060 salvage) cable... With the M1060s I haven't bothered to change it, because I'm just at home and microphonics are hardly ever an issue, but walking around on campus, I get the feeling that it's going to bother me a whole lot more with the M300s.

Is that even something that can be mitigated? I've only ever owned low quality IEMs before this (not my only headphones, just not many of this type), and the cable was always like a stethoscope.
Maybe with a clip to hold the cable from swinging around, I experienced noise last week when I took a walk with the PM's on, like a djing djing sound at every step I took. Annoying, but it felt as present at low bitrate mp3 mostly.
We'll see....

just shipped, the m300 that is, the $10 cashback (as seen in the order email) isn't working for me.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #116 of 659
@Fra D The cable I was mentioning is no longer being carried due to QC issues and poor sound quality vs stock, which is a shame. If I really love this IEM, I might order a cable from Impact Audio as they seem quite well received.

The cash back involves freeshipping.com, which I have no interest getting involved with.

Also, estimated delivery is Friday, which is nice as I took the cheap shipping, so I was expecting a week after that.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #117 of 659
@Fra D The cable I was mentioning is no longer being carried due to QC issues and poor sound quality vs stock, which is a shame. If I really love this IEM, I might order a cable from Impact Audio as they seem quite well received.

The cash back involves freeshipping.com, which I have no interest getting involved with.

Also, estimated delivery is Friday, which is nice as I took the cheap shipping, so I was expecting a week after that.
I meant the "inexpensive VE balanced cable from Massdrop" you are waiting on. I reckon the freeshipping thing is also US only.

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #119 of 659
Without cipher cable for me. I had to EQ to raise the upper mids and drop the mid hump, which creates a wonky sounding output. I hope this isn't the case with the m300.

Ok. I agree. Non cipher, it just sounded .... wrong. (Didn't spend much time with non cipher for a critical listening)

The eq setting which was being used in the cipher cable was posted in the isine thread a while back. Do try that in case you have them. But, yeah needs PEQ which some daps support, and if using a mobile phone with a portable dac/amp, would be difficult to replicate except in some specific music player apps. (Streaming apps like tidal don't work)

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #120 of 659
No impressions yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back