Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Sep 6, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #451 of 1,015
Thank you all for your super helpful replies.
Alright, you guys have convinced me. I have placed the order for M1570, looks like I will always keep thinking of what I am missing out if I don't get these.

One question regarding the cables, I notice that monoprice has flipped the pins and it's not that easy to get a balanced cable, but If I just wanted to get a backup regular cable, does Monoprice sell that or can I buy it online?

My amp does not support balanced, so I just want to ensure I can easily buy a regular cable if needed from Monoprice/Amazon.
Congrats on your purchase! Hopefully you are as happy as we are. Because everyone hears differently, I will be curious to hear your feedback after a few weeks. And it really does take a few weeks to get a strong feeling about new headphones. I LOVE every new headphone when I get them!:smile:
And then after a month it is, "you know what..."

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #452 of 1,015
Congrats on your purchase! Hopefully you are as happy as we are. Because everyone hears differently, I will be curious to hear your feedback after a few weeks. And it really does take a few weeks to get a strong feeling about new headphones. I LOVE every new headphone when I get them!:smile:
And then after a month it is, "you know what..."
Thank you! Hopefully no lost packages or shipping delays this time. Super excited to try these, now just counting the days.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #453 of 1,015
I thought they were horrible and veiled/muffled.
I have the same opinion about for example Audioquest Nighthawks but overall reputation of them is good :wink: We have just a bit different perception and ratings.
One question regarding the cables, I notice that monoprice has flipped the pins and it's not that easy to get a balanced cable, but If I just wanted to get a backup regular cable, does Monoprice sell that or can I buy it online?
Please read page no 21 where Hart Audio Cable System is recommended.
I'm curious of your impressions too :)

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #454 of 1,015
Thank you all for your super helpful replies.
Alright, you guys have convinced me. I have placed the order for M1570, looks like I will always keep thinking of what I am missing out if I don't get these.

My amp does not support balanced, so I just want to ensure I can easily buy a regular cable if needed from Monoprice/Amazon.
Don't forget that I warned you about the comfort if you end up being one of those that experiences pain on the noggin. I had to switch headphones after only a couple songs when using the stock headband. You might be able to place something flat or padding on your head if you do experience any pain.

I have read many complaints about the stock cable that comes with the M1570. However, when I took mine apart, it was the best constructed headphone cable that I have ever seen. You should be good with the one that comes with. And, don't worry about getting a balanced cable. Instead, just get a RebelAmp in the future if you ever upgrade. It changed my life, even more than the M1570.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #455 of 1,015
I have the same opinion about for example Audioquest Nighthawks but overall reputation of them is good :wink: We have just a bit different perception and ratings.

Ohh that's interesting! I had the same impressions with Nighthawks. They sounded really bad to my ears, and I was very disappointed. Going from Nighthawks to M570, I saw a huge difference. Much better bass, not as recessed mids, and a lots of nice detail. Going to Sundaras from M570, made the M570 seem so muffled/veiled, instruments and vocals are so much nicer on the Sundaras. I can finally hear singers breathing, the strumming of strings sounds heavenly. Super excited to see how M1570 fares.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #456 of 1,015
Don't forget that I warned you about the comfort if you end up being one of those that experiences pain on the noggin. I had to switch headphones after only a couple songs when using the stock headband. You might be able to place something flat or padding on your head if you do experience any pain.

I have read many complaints about the stock cable that comes with the M1570. However, when I took mine apart, it was the best constructed headphone cable that I have ever seen. You should be good with the one that comes with. And, don't worry about getting a balanced cable. Instead, just get a RebelAmp in the future if you ever upgrade. It changed my life, even more than the M1570.

That is definitely a concern, but I have a large head, so I am cautiously optimistic regarding the comfort. Fingers crossed! Thanks for clarifying the details regarding the cable, hopefully it lasts a long time.

I only got the Sundaras 2 days ago, so I have some time to return them. I will test both of these on sound/comfort, and keep the one that I enjoy the most. I also love the build quality of M570, so if M1570 is anything like that, I will be a happy camper.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #457 of 1,015
Ohh that's interesting! I had the same impressions with Nighthawks. They sounded really bad to my ears, and I was very disappointed. Going from Nighthawks to M570, I saw a huge difference. Much better bass, not as recessed mids, and a lots of nice detail. Going to Sundaras from M570, made the M570 seem so muffled/veiled, instruments and vocals are so much nicer on the Sundaras. I can finally hear singers breathing, the strumming of strings sounds heavenly. Super excited to see how M1570 fares.
Maybe a bit to late to warn you but at clarity of instruments and voices Sundara propably will make something I would name "a fake effect of better tonality" but if you give more time to M1570 you will hear that sweetness, fullness and realism in same time. When I bought and hear first hours of Sundara I said to myself "WOW what a great sound and that is my end game" but that was for a moment :) They are fast, detailed but no professorial refined with lack of sweet musicality IMO. It doesn't mean you will not love Sundara when M1570 came in. It is all about our preferences :) Good luck with quick shipping.

EDIT. And bass ... ohh no words to explain difference in that range between Sundara and M1570 :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #458 of 1,015

I HATED the NightOwl Carbons! :grin:

Sep 6, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #459 of 1,015
That is definitely a concern, but I have a large head, so I am cautiously optimistic regarding the comfort. Fingers crossed! Thanks for clarifying the details regarding the cable, hopefully it lasts a long time.

I only got the Sundaras 2 days ago, so I have some time to return them. I will test both of these on sound/comfort, and keep the one that I enjoy the most. I also love the build quality of M570, so if M1570 is anything like that, I will be a happy camper.
I would describe the Sundara's as smooth. A nice smooth sound.
You should notice an uptick in sound quality with the M1570's.

Sep 7, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #460 of 1,015
@Malazan In regards to replacement cables, and other components of the M1570:

No, Monoprice does not sell replacement cables or pads, and do not offer a balanced cable for purchase. Hopefully, as more of their product gets around, maybe this will change as demand increases. Demand = profits.

For now, as was suggested, is to get the Hart Audio solution. This way, you get the proper mini-XLR portion for the M1570, and you can buy both the SE and XLR termination as required, and then you are covered.

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #461 of 1,015
I saw these on sale recently for $400 and was really tempted. I heard people saying they're almost indistinguishable from headphones like the LCD-X and at that sale price, gah-damn. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the next sale.

The way I managed to discourage myself from splurging was by seeing the criticisms of not only how heavy they are, but also how loose they clamp. Saw a person on YouTube move their head while wearing them, looked like they barely manage to stay on a person's head if that person's not sitting perfectly still. I leaned on that as a deal-breaker and decided to keep saving up for an LCD-X, but in hindsight... at 1/3 of the price for 99% of the sonic quality... I may be able to tolerate that.
Different headband makes a huge difference with fit and weight distribution. I posted a tutorial on swapping out the headband earlier in this thread.

Sep 7, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #462 of 1,015
I could not help myself. I now have four pairs of Monolith M1570. They ARE THAT good!
Sunglasses.gif

Sep 7, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #463 of 1,015
I would have to disagree on the M570's. I thought they were horrible and veiled/muffled. Going from them to the Sundara's would be night and day. Going from the Sundara's to the M1570's will be an upgrade, but not nearly to that scale. :relaxed:
That sounds very, very different from what I hear from the M570's... veiled/muffled is like 180 degrees opposite of what I hear, making me wonder if you got an ugly unicorn, so to speak lol....if anything, I think they are a little too trebly at times. Muffled is what I hear unfortunately at times with the Andover Audio PM-50.

Sep 7, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #464 of 1,015
That sounds very, very different from what I hear from the M570's... veiled/muffled is like 180 degrees opposite of what I hear, making me wonder if you got an ugly unicorn, so to speak lol....if anything, I think they are a little too trebly at times. Muffled is what I hear unfortunately at times with the Andover Audio PM-50.
I found them horrible and I tried for two weeks. Luckily it was Amazon and I was able to return them. There are very few headphones that I hate, but these are one. Along with Nightowl Carbons and HE4XX's. Some headphones lose their attraction over time. These three went to zero in less than a month. I was also very underwhelmed with the HD6XX's/HD600's and I bought and sold each one twice! I kept thinking, "There must be something that I am missing". As I kept changing amps I came to realize, Nope, nope not a thing. :ksc75smile:

I guess it goes under "We all hear differently".

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #465 of 1,015
Going off topic for one minute, how would you compare the HE6se V2 vs the Clears? Feel free to PM if I am too far off base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back