Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Aug 31, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #391 of 1,015
Hey, I have been jumping in between reading from the M1070 and M1570 threads, as well as some amp treads. I wanted to ask in case I missed the reference to the M1570 being paired with the Monolith Liquid Platinum, which I have owned for quite some time. I usually use my hifiman hp with it, but have been interested in getting another monolith headphone since the days I owned the M1060. Please if anyone owns this pairing or has at least tried it for an adequate amount of time, then get back to me.
I have this pairing and like it. However, I do have another amp that I like more (iFi Pro iCAN) so they don't spend much time together.

The 1570's are pretty easy to drive. Based on my experience I would recommend an iFi amp with these. They don't need a ton of power and they like X-bass and 3D.

They even have an amp just for HiFiman 'phones. :grin:
https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-can-signature-hfm/

But, the LP is awesome! :L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #393 of 1,015
@Shane D That iCAN amp is $1800. It should also get you coffee. Tho I like the internal tube placement.
That amp is $599.00 at Audio 46.
Or are you talking about the Pro iCAN? That I bought used for much less than retail.

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #394 of 1,015
Hey, I have been jumping in between reading from the M1070 and M1570 threads, as well as some amp treads. I wanted to ask in case I missed the reference to the M1570 being paired with the Monolith Liquid Platinum, which I have owned for quite some time. I usually use my hifiman hp with it, but have been interested in getting another monolith headphone since the days I owned the M1060. Please if anyone owns this pairing or has at least tried it for an adequate amount of time, then get back to me.
I don't have a Liquid Platinum but from reading specification it should sound fantastic over XLR output.

Sep 1, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #395 of 1,015
Thanks that was what I am trying to figure out, I know the Pro iCan is supposedly a fantastic amp and if I had the 1500 to spend I would consider getting it just for future proofing my audio Chain. Unfortunately I do not have that kind of coin, and I have a few hundred I could spend I was considering grabbing a Liquid Gold X, but from what I read it is similar to a Liquid Platinum with some very good and sweet tubes, and if that is the case I cannot justify spending the money on it right now. So, granted I love the Hifiman arya with the LP and the bugle boy tubes sound good with it but I figured having another headphone to jam out with, while my brother is currently/indefinitely using my Acoustic Research ARH1 planars that are now discontinued, maybe the M1570 would be a viable choice with my Ares-LP Chain.

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #396 of 1,015
maybe the M1570 would be a viable choice with my Ares-LP Chain.
I know Arya being masterpiece of technical/detailed HP so I'm sure they do like and pairs great with tube sources. I have and love my HEXv2 they are younger brother of Arya with more warm but they are missing "the magic" and I stretch out my hands more often to M1570. The question is if you get the same feelings. If you will be lucky and catch them new at 400USD than there is no risk in my opinion. In Europe we have to pay 599 EUR for them what is about 710 USD. I was lucky to get them much cheaper from outlet company. After all that time I have spent with them I would do it again even for 599 EUR :)

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #397 of 1,015
I'm liking these too, first impressions are very good. Compares very well to my modded GL2000 and HE6se v2.
These are much better than the M1070. You do hear the "hollow" sound of the M1070 if you A/B them with the 1570.
Haven't quite dialed it in yet, but stock is very listenable.
I own both He6se v2 and GL2000 as well. I'm considering if I should get M1570. Would really appreciate if you could share more comparisons if the 3 headphones! I wonder if they are all unique enough to justify owning all 3.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #398 of 1,015
Thanks that was what I am trying to figure out, I know the Pro iCan is supposedly a fantastic amp and if I had the 1500 to spend I would consider getting it just for future proofing my audio Chain. Unfortunately I do not have that kind of coin, and I have a few hundred I could spend I was considering grabbing a Liquid Gold X, but from what I read it is similar to a Liquid Platinum with some very good and sweet tubes, and if that is the case I cannot justify spending the money on it right now. So, granted I love the Hifiman arya with the LP and the bugle boy tubes sound good with it but I figured having another headphone to jam out with, while my brother is currently/indefinitely using my Acoustic Research ARH1 planars that are now discontinued, maybe the M1570 would be a viable choice with my Ares-LP Chain.
I was not recommending the Pro iCAN as I know it is expensive and also discontinued. I just think the iFi features do work well with M1570's and so I thought the IFi Signature HFM might be interesting.

The LP is a very nice amp and has TONS of power for these 'phones.

I would be interested to hear what you think of the M1570's vs the Arya's.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #399 of 1,015
I was playing with the EQ, and felt the upper mids, and treble could use a little love, but I didn't want to destroy the male vocals and make them anemic, and makes things a little less dark. So this is what I retuned to:

Filter: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 1100 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 2
Filter: ON HSC Fc 1300 Hz Gain 7 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 3050 Hz Gain -0.8 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -5 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 8100 Hz Gain -3.4 dB Q 6
Filter: ON HSC Fc 10000 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 0.71
Preamp: -2.5 dB

EDIT: it also causes some loss in energy levels, less dynamics and groove. feh, back to original

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #400 of 1,015
I own both He6se v2 and GL2000 as well. I'm considering if I should get M1570. Would really appreciate if you could share more comparisons if the 3 headphones! I wonder if they are all unique enough to justify owning all 3.
I would rank them HE6se V2 > M1570 > GL2000 stock.
I like the GL2000 when modded, but M1570 is better stock and with a little EQ.

I like all 3 so it will be hard to part with any of them as of now.

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #401 of 1,015
I would rank them HE6se V2 > M1570 > GL2000 stock.
I like the GL2000 when modded, but M1570 is better stock and with a little EQ.

I like all 3 so it will be hard to part with any of them as of now.
What would you say the big differences between the HE6se V2 Vs M1570 are? I know the M1570 would be slightly warmer, more bass impact but when it comes to technical performance such as soundstage, clarity, detail, dynamics, imaging and all that. How does the M1570 compare?

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #402 of 1,015
What would you say the big differences between the HE6se V2 Vs M1570 are? I know the M1570 would be slightly warmer, more bass impact but when it comes to technical performance such as soundstage, clarity, detail, dynamics, imaging and all that. How does the M1570 compare?
I have the new Lokius for hardware EQ, and the only knobs I touch for the HE6se V2 are the bass and subbass for extra warmth. You can leave the entire rest of the FR alone and get a great neutral sound (maybe taming one peak, but you don't have to). With the M1570 I have to make several adjustments across the whole range, but once I do it gets close in performance with a better soundstage. HE6se V2 seems to have a little more detail.

Until I get my Hart Audio Balanced Cable in I can't do a 1:1 comparison yet.

For the GL2000, I had to mod the entire headphone to get it to respond well. Stock had too many FR issues.

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #403 of 1,015
I have the new Lokius for hardware EQ, and the only knobs I touch for the HE6se V2 are the bass and subbass for extra warmth. You can leave the entire rest of the FR alone and get a great neutral sound (maybe taming one peak, but you don't have to). With the M1570 I have to make several adjustments across the whole range, but once I do it gets close in performance with a better soundstage. HE6se V2 seems to have a little more detail.

For the GL2000, I had to mod the entire headphone to get it to respond well. Stock had too many FR issues.
Very interesting. You also mentioned separation seems a bit better on the M1570 as well? I listen to music that has a lot of busy passages so I like headphones with soundstage and separation over detail.

Sep 4, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #404 of 1,015

For GL2000 I removed tuning papers as well as added felt around the driver. As a result both the vocal and bass improved by leaps. I'm using he6se v2 stock, planning to only change the pads as I'm terrified of leaving the driver exposed will affect the longevity of the headphones if I do the open mod.

So now I'm torn, don't know if I should get M1570 as well

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #405 of 1,015
For GL2000 I removed tuning papers as well as added felt around the driver. As a result both the vocal and bass improved by leaps. I'm using he6se v2 stock, planning to only change the pads as I'm terrified of leaving the driver exposed will affect the longevity of the headphones if I do the open mod.

So now I'm torn, don't know if I should get M1570 as well
If you ARE going to get them, do it now, because I think the sale ends Labor Day.

5lwg2v.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back