Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Dec 4, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #46 of 1,015
I loved the HE6SE on a THX788 w/ the oratory EQ. But yeah I killed my HE6SE by not checking the gain setting on the speaker amp I wanted to test on because Im a dummy. The HE6SE measurements say there should be no difference other than volume, but I wanted to try and hear the "magic" people talk about just once lol.

Whoah, are you saying you literally slayed the drivers on your HE6SE on a speaker amp accidentally cuz the gain was too high? :O That's a bummer if so!

I added a big bass shelf on my equalizer and ran the volume super high with the m1570s to see if I could get them to distort and still wasnt able to. The THX 788 is no slouch on single ended power, but I imagine that story would change on a stronger amp.

That's promising. I do expect a lot for $599 if it's "Monoprice $599", so to speak, though. But I'm very hopeful for these to be awesome.

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #47 of 1,015
Whoah, are you saying you literally slayed the drivers on your HE6SE on a speaker amp accidentally cuz the gain was too high? :O That's a bummer if so!

I dont think the driver died, but the wire to the driver looked pretty deceased! I was suprised to see like AWG30 Wire in a headphone a bunch of people says they run 20W+ into. Unfortunately didn't trust myself to take apart a planar assembly to rewire em'

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #48 of 1,015
I dont think the driver died, but the wire to the driver looked pretty deceased! I was suprised to see like AWG30 Wire in a headphone a bunch of people says they run 20W+ into. Unfortunately didn't trust myself to take apart a planar assembly to rewire em'

If you think the driver is still good, you can be sure by checking if the driver gives a reading off of a multimeter. Typically, I just set my multimeter to the ohm symbol and touch the probes on the solder joints of the driver. If the reading is 0 or some very high number, then it's no good. If it gives a reading around 50 ohms (as spec'd by Hifiman), then it should still be good.

While I had my HE-6, I accidentally broke the internal wiring right at the solder joint while modding. Since the joint is in like this hole within the assembly, resoldering was very nerve wracking but it was fairly simple to put a different wire in. Didn't have to take the driver apart though I did just have to open the headphones up.

If you may be interested and if you still have them, I can check them out. Otherwise, all it really takes to see if the driver's dead is with a multimeter. If you're handy, soldering a new wire (or the same wire) is fairly easy but still nerve wracking.

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #50 of 1,015
Just got a SMSL Sp200, still unable to distort the low end at high power.

EDIT: Nevermind, preamp was at -6DB, I was able to distort setting it to 0db) It was definitely in excess of anyone's listening levels though.
"Currently perpetuating Monolith M1570 Hype Train."
it's funny while your investigation is serious, so serious.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #53 of 1,015
I’ve just taken delivery today of my 1070 and 1570.
I was so blown away by previous Monoprice customer service over a 1060 that developed a fault after over than a year, that I decided to buy any other headphones by them if they appeared better built/designed.
I got the 570 a few weeks ago and in every conceivable way they are magnificent, and are possibly my best-built headphones out of over thirty pairs, mostly expensive ones.
First impressions of these two are they are built fantastically (although to my eyes and hands, slightly less so than the 570) and really do look the part.
I only had a brief listen to the 1070 through my iPod Classic & Onkyo portable amp, but it pretty much knocked my socks off. I cannot wait to listen to it through my desktop amps later.
The 1570 feels like a beast in the hand and is a veritable symphony of black metal. We shall see ....
One thing I will say about the 570 is that no photos or.videos show the reality of the thing. It feels amazing and every single tiny part of it is perfect and it really feels like a no-compromise passion project. I still sometimes simply pick it up and admire its beauty and heft. At $1000 it would be a magnificently built and designed product. At circa 300 it beggars belief. I’m still surprised that it isn’t getting the recognition it deserves.
To be honest, the 570 sometimes reminds me of my HE500 in its visceral approach. The 1070 has a completely different sound signature, and in its detail retrieval is on a whole different level.
Fun time when I get home later.

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #55 of 1,015
Yes, I ordered them from the Monoprice website, using PayPal. Four days later they’re here.
Shipping and handling was $87 and there may be an import duties charge that arrives later, but nothing so far.
Honestly I do not need to be buying more headphones but the 570 did it for me. These two today are simply beautiful and feel more like a thing-to-be-treasured than any of my other cans, and I have a fair few lovely headphones already.
I have a feeling that the 1070’s are going to have a field day with a whole host of cans in the 800 to 1500 realms. The 570 have already shown what is possible under three hundred when one wishes to create something special and not rip folks off. .
I’ve only been home an hour so not listened yet on my desktop amps, but will do shortly.
If you have any other questions feel free and I’ll get back once I’ve listened to them tonight.
Be well.

Dec 6, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #56 of 1,015
Thanks for the nice response. While M1570 vs M1070 is very interesting it's the 1070 that interests me most and in particular the comparison to the 1060. The latter with vegan pads does lots of right for me. Stock I found it to be too lively.

Enjoy and if you can let us know a little bit in the dedicated thread as well.

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #57 of 1,015
Upon further inspection, I couldnt help but notice the stock pads cover some parts of the fazor/waveguides of the M1570 (2 rows towards the back of the headphone and 1 row towards the front) Ive ordered some pads with wider openings like the brainwavz XL pads and dekoni th900 pads to see if this headphone has more to give.

15ae85438e15d27abc960cfd4abb694deae9f123.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #59 of 1,015
Are the 1570 and 1070 the same drivers? By specs they seem to be.

I'm a huge fan of my modded open back M1060c so I would absolutely upgrade to one of these.

I made my 1060 balanced with a hifiman balanced cable swap, what cables are available to make the 1070 and 1570 balanced to 4 pin XLR? 1070 would seem to allow me to use the same cable.

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #60 of 1,015
Are the 1570 and 1070 the same drivers? By specs they seem to be.

I'm a huge fan of my modded open back M1060c so I would absolutely upgrade to one of these.

I made my 1060 balanced with a hifiman balanced cable swap, what cables are available to make the 1070 and 1570 balanced to 4 pin XLR? 1070 would seem to allow me to use the same cable.

ATM I think M1070 is the best option and yes, you'll be able to use the XLR cable you made as they followed the market standards.
I don't think that M1570 was ready to be launched.

I think this video will answer your questions:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back