Monolith M1070 Over Ear Open Back Planar Headphones
Dec 24, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #211 of 267
First, two points. Point one, I have never heard any hint of hollowness if I have a good seal. Using the headband works great for me and with the good seal I have no complaints on any aspect of the 1070. I tried the supplied velour pads and I lost bass and the sound was darker and less dynamic. I also did not find them particularly comfortable especially if i used the headband to try and improve the seal .... and I removed them after two days.

Secondly, point two, I am old school with my main listening rig being a heavily modded Sony 9100ES DVD/SACD player for SACD's.... or I use the coax out to a Schitt Modi Multibit for CD's both in to Cavalli Liquid Spark amps. I do not use any computer audio and hence I do not EQ. These new pads are more like the velour pads and they seem slightly less clear, open and dynamic VS the stock pads. The pads do not ruin the 1070's sound the 1070 still sounds very good. But i definitely prefer the stock pads.

Thanks for pointing the pads out. The pads were cheap and the experiment with them was fun.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #213 of 267
I have a retraction to make. When I originally tried the Ali Express pads I used my sacd player because I did not want to wait for my Modi MB to warm up. The D/S chip in my sad player while very good, especially for sacd, is not at as good at macrodynamics and bass quality with regular CD's. The Modi multi bit chip also has improved clarity in the treble with CD's although the quantity of treble seems slightly lower. I blamed the change in sound on the pads but I thought about this and the changes I noted were what I hear when I change the sources. So back on went the Ali pads.

Using the Ali Express pads with a fully warmed up Modi these pads are excellent. I will say I enjoy these every bit as much as the stock pads. The sound is still slightly different .... maybe the Ali pads have a little more intimacy to the sound stage and the stock pads are slightly more open. But I am totally fine with either pair. With these pads the m1070 vocals remind me a lot of the HD6xx .... a very pleasant surprise.

One thing about the Ali pads I did not initially like was the outside material that touches your ears does heat your ears up some. But i adjusted to this and I had them on three hours straight tonight no problem. One thing I do like about the Ali pads better is that the ear hole is round. On the stock pads the ear hole is oval. The M1070 pads have a tendency to turn and with the oval pad they get oriented the wrong way (usually my right ear) and I end up adjusting them a couple times a listening session. With the Ali pads having the round hole the orientation never changes so if the pads turn there is no difference.

Thanks again to hieple193 for bringing these to my attention.

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #214 of 267
I have a retraction to make. When I originally tried the Ali Express pads I used my sacd player because I did not want to wait for my Modi MB to warm up. The D/S chip in my sad player while very good, especially for sacd, is not at as good at macrodynamics and bass quality with regular CD's. The Modi multi bit chip also has improved clarity in the treble with CD's although the quantity of treble seems slightly lower. I blamed the change in sound on the pads but I thought about this and the changes I noted were what I hear when I change the sources. So back on went the Ali pads.

Using the Ali Express pads with a fully warmed up Modi these pads are excellent. I will say I enjoy these every bit as much as the stock pads. The sound is still slightly different .... maybe the Ali pads have a little more intimacy to the sound stage and the stock pads are slightly more open. But I am totally fine with either pair. With these pads the m1070 vocals remind me a lot of the HD6xx .... a very pleasant surprise.

One thing about the Ali pads I did not initially like was the outside material that touches your ears does heat your ears up some. But i adjusted to this and I had them on three hours straight tonight no problem. One thing I do like about the Ali pads better is that the ear hole is round. On the stock pads the ear hole is oval. The M1070 pads have a tendency to turn and with the oval pad they get oriented the wrong way (usually my right ear) and I end up adjusting them a couple times a listening session. With the Ali pads having the round hole the orientation never changes so if the pads turn there is no difference.

Thanks again to hieple193 for bringing these to my attention.

Ali pads are comfort step back, I don't think it's a good choice in summerday 😂. But Ali pads give me coherent sound, deeper bass, mid and treble sound right for me. I'm glad to hear that you like it.

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #217 of 267
Apr 27, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #220 of 267
Just bought the M1070 from a Head-Fi'er - and with a couple of hours listening tonight, connected as -

Kubuntu Linux PC (YouTube & JRiver MC29) [USB-A] -> [USB-C] Cayin RU6 R-2R DAC (NOS/Low Gain/85) [4.4mm TRRRS] -> [4.4mm TRRRS] KAEI TAP-1S Amp (Tube Hybrid) [3.5mm TRS] -> M1070

- I think they sound really good.
Have any of you removed the potting compound from inside the 3.5mm plug on the cable that goes to the Amp?
I can see wires of two colors in a gap of the compound - but I want to know if there are three or four wires in the cable?
If there are four, I'll replace the 3.5mm TRS with a 2.5mm TRRS, to have a Balanced Cable - but if there's only three, then I'll have to build a Balanced Cable from scratch.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #221 of 267
Well, I was able to cut the potting compound loose from around the 3.5mm plug that goes to the Amp - and I found that it's a four conductor Litz cable (individually varnished groups of wires, in four colors - L+ = Blue, L- = Green, R+ = Red, R- = Clear/Copper).
So, I went ahead and and replaced the 3.5mm TRS plug, with a 2.5mm TRRS plug - and it works great.

Sep 5, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #222 of 267
The new pads arrived, and slapped them onto the M1070. After comparing them to the audio signature of the lambskins vs these, I didn't care for the new pads that much at all. Plus that "velour" is the fuzziest velour I've ever seen. I suspect it's something else. Plus they're warmer against my head than the lambskins. So no, not happy with these.

This all led me to do some serious listening to the M1070 vs the M1570, and using the same EQ profile on both. The EQ fixes the tunnel effect on the M1070, and they sound pretty good, with the nod to the M1570. However, if you can nab these on sale at the recent prices of $219, $229, $239, these are a great, affordable option, and no need to play with custom cables if you go balanced.

EQ Profile:

Code:
Filter: ON LSC Fc 115 Hz Gain 7.5 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 1100 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 2
Filter: ON HSC Fc 1300 Hz Gain 7 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 3050 Hz Gain -1.8 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -5.1 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 8100 Hz Gain -4.6 dB Q 6
Filter: ON HSC Fc 10000 Hz Gain -3.8 dB Q 0.71
Preamp: -3.5 dB
Plese... can u get me eq for velour pads?? i prefer that pads, don`t like the skin, `couse sound`s coloring...

Oct 11, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #224 of 267
Hello, People.
I see that there is little to read about modifications made to M1070 compared to M1060. Few mentions of DIY grilles affecting sound for worse, but I would still like to try. Are the dimensions equal to M1060 cups, and I can print the ones available on thingiverse, or are M1070s different?
Thanks.

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #225 of 267
Hello, People.
I see that there is little to read about modifications made to M1070 compared to M1060. Few mentions of DIY grilles affecting sound for worse, but I would still like to try. Are the dimensions equal to M1060 cups, and I can print the ones available on thingiverse, or are M1070s different?
Thanks.
M1070 uses the same grilles (and screw hole pattern) as the M1060 (NOT the M1060C, which is different). So any M1060 grille design will work with the M1070.

However, the cups of the M1070 are slightly larger so the the grilles will be inset from the edge of the cup compared to sitting flush on the M1060 cup. If that matters to you and you want the M1070 grille to sit flush with the edge, the M1070 grilles will need to be 108.7mm vs the 105.7mm of the M1060.

Also, for what it's worth, I noticed no degradation of sound when using 3D printed grilles on the M1070, but also didn't get the substantial improvement from using 3D printed grilles that the M1060 had. However, I replaced the M1070 grilles mostly for aesthetic reasons, anyway. So, YMMV, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back