Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Nov 5, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #631 of 1,409
Yeah, it's just through the headphone jack. There are some filters on the Sony but I'm not using any intentionally (maybe there's some default ones that can't be turned off?).
I don't know exactly why it works but, to my ears, this frankenstein setup has really impressed.
And, I agree, I don't think the Sony has a lot of power coming through the jack but it's doing something good... I just don't know what.

I thought it was just the extra juice at first but what you're saying makes a lot of sense.

The open mod is also fantastic. Id highly recommend it.

Nov 12, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #633 of 1,409
Here is a COOL VIDEO of Losodo Customs making a set of custom wood veneered open back grills for the M1060c. They look amazing, but they are not cheap at $100.

I ordered some from Losodo and am very happy with them. Great workmanship and help get rid of any ringing i could hear when they were closed.

These are so much better open than closed. Changing to open is highly recommended imo. There is a 3D printed design available on thingiverse or you can do a DIY version that DMS demonstrates on his YouTube channel - well worth it!

I love the sound of my M1060Cs so decided to order from Losodo as they looked incredible and i think would help with the tuning (my DIY skills aren't the best).

You can order the basic set from Losodo for $50 and assemble / finish the grilles yourself (you don't get the lovely veneer though this route).

Open these up. Better quality bass, better sound-stage, imaging, more air, less fatiguing, slightly less dorky looking... you wont regret it :)

I would like to improve the sound quality further. Has anyone got a recommendation for a cable upgrade that would may help with this (bass quality, instrument separation, clarity). Am I asking too much?

I noticed Losodo uses the Audeze vegan pads. Does anyone know if this is just for comfort or if it also improves sound?

Cheers

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #634 of 1,409
Nov 27, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #636 of 1,409
Rakuten has the M1060C for $199 with free shipping when you use the promo code CYBER20. Today only. https://www.rakuten.com/shop/monoprice/product/129513/

An absolute steal!

Still loving my set. Whoever got that deal should be very happy.

To anyone that grabbed this deal, the next thing you need to do is open mod them... so much better. My only gripe is the headband. I've fitted a Sennheiser cushion pad for extra padding but still get a pressure point at the top of my noggin after long listening sessions. I heard rumours that Monoprice would release a revised version with a new headband but this has not transpired yet, unfortunately.

I'm using a Schiit Modi Multi, Sony STR-DB790 as pre-amp, iFI iCan SE. Absolutely stunning. I wanted to buy an LCD2 Classic but now I don't feel an urgent need for that purchase. (kind of got my eye on some DT 1990s for a different flavour to the M1060Cs)

I also used to be frustrated that I couldn't get headphones to sound as satisfying (or as detailed) as my B&W 602 speakers... Not anymore. These are headphones with a lot of potential (but they need the right DAC and amp combo to truly shine / come alive).

I tried them with my NFB 11.28 and they were very good but even better (bass, separation, detail, tone) with the Multibit. As far as i know its an R2R hybrid so perhaps the AUDIO-GD R2R 11 would be a better pairing.

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #638 of 1,409
I'm looking for a good closed back for fun listening and gaming. I'm looking at beyerdynamic DT770 250ohm and these M1060C. Hopefully somebody has some experience with both.
I tried both the 80 ohm and 250 ohm DT770s. I also tried the Custom One Pro Plus. The sound of all three were ok but didn't live up to the hype for me. What I found strange with all three pairs were that they rattle. You can search the forums to find that this appears to be an issue with a lot of Beyedynamic headphones because just one tiny hair or piece of debris in the magnet causes this. I thought it was very annoying and ultimately was the reason why I returned all three at some point. The sound does not compare at all to the M1060C since M1060C is more colorful and the Beyers are mostly flat for monitoring. I'm very impressed with the M1060C so far and I know they will eventually open up. I'm currently running them through a 30 hr nonstop burn in. IMO my Audio-Technica M50s sound better than the DT770.

Nov 29, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #641 of 1,409
Well, my positive experience didn’t last long. Two days in and one side no longer works. I had a similar experience with the M560 headphones. Is this happening to anyone else? It’s getting to a point where I can’t take this company seriously.

The early adopters had that problem, but I haven't heard of it happening since. FWIW I personally have 2 pairs of 1060's with no issue. Had a pair before my current 2, and that pair also had no issues.

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #642 of 1,409
Yeah get that RMA'd. A semi-common defect, at least for the earlier units. My second unit has been flawless for...over half a year now?

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #644 of 1,409
Eh I'd doubt it. QC probably still isn't the greatest since the drivers come from China.

RMA took a little over a week for me. At least they paid for shipping both ways, so no complaints from me.

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #645 of 1,409
Still pretty blown away by how much more I enjoy these as open backs. No other mods currently. Here is a shot of the finished product. Did a woodfil 3d print for the honeycomb backs and sanded/stained them. Thanks @SomeTechNoob for the file.

20181130_103610.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back