Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Sep 7, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #841 of 1,409
Bummer. But, honestly, I'm not that surprised. Dekoni pads seem to be hit or miss with mostly misses.

But this is good news! I look forward to your analysis! :o2smile:
Ok just got back from RMAF. I was totally mistaken. What I had tried before was the Dekoni elite velour pads. They just released the microsuedes on September 1st. I was literally the 2nd person ever to purchase them yesterday. I will compare them with the zmf oval suede and the audeze vegan pads and let everyone know.

Sep 7, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #842 of 1,409
Ok just got back from RMAF. I was totally mistaken. What I had tried before was the Dekoni elite velour pads. They just released the microsuedes on September 1st. I was literally the 2nd person ever to purchase them yesterday. I will compare them with the zmf oval suede and the audeze vegan pads and let everyone know.

Yep, you are spot on, what I had was the LCD-2 elite velours. I'm curious to see what you think of the suede now.

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #844 of 1,409
I wish they sold that M1070 headband separately. Also those new pads look more comfortable, less like a balloon but more like a pillow.

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #845 of 1,409
I wish they sold that M1070 headband separately. Also those new pads look more comfortable, less like a balloon but more like a pillow.
Yeah I hope that they sell the headband seperately. The new headbands look very similar to the Elex headbands. The M1060 headbands are so flimsy. I tried purchasing the HE560 headbands from Adorama but couldn’t find the screws to mount the M1060 cups on them.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #846 of 1,409

Very interesting! It seems that Monoprice isn't messing around. They have a new (or at least revised) 106 mm driver which I imagine that the M1570 and M1070 share since they have the same specs but are different from the M1060/C driver in Ohms, sensitivity and power handling. It will be interesting to see what the sonic differences are between the M1570 and M1070 are if they do use the same driver. The pads look the same on both and look round, non-angled, and possibly genuine leather? But I can't be sure with only 1 picture to go off of. Hopefully they aren't glued on. It also seems they use different cables, dual 2.5 mm on the M1070 and min XLR on the M1570 similar to ZMF and Audeze 'phones. And as someone already pointed out, they headband looks very similar to the one that Focal uses, which is quite robust but not particularly light. For those with weight sensitivities you should probably pass on the M1570 at 700g. Yikes!

The M570 is also interesting. It looks like Monoprice wants to get in on the driver that Sendy, Blon and Takstar are already using. It will be interesting to see how that one compares to its driver siblings. It's also priced in the middle at $300, where the Takstars are ~$200, the Blon are ~$450, and the Sendy are $600. It might be a nice middle ground.

The THX amp seems to be trying to directly compete with the 789 from Drop with the shown measurements comparing the two and showing the 887 better across the board. Although, the differences seem very small and I doubt are audibly different. At the same price it's probably just going to be visual/logo preference and build quality.

As for the Liquid Spark DAC, I really wish it was a $200 balanced DAC instead. But, oh well. You can't win them all.

But this is all good news because competition is good for everyone. It's never been a better time to be an audiophile! :o2smile:

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #847 of 1,409
Just picked up 1060c based on Joshua Valour's "M1060C OPEN REVIEW | vs. LCD2C, M1060, SUNDARA & VERUM 1" .
Like that guy's stuff vs other hypemaster YT reviewers....especially interested in the low-end for electronic music vs 2C and 2CB which I owned in the last year.
Like a meatier planar presentation over 'refined'.

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #849 of 1,409
I recognize the headband on the M570. It's been on a bunch of different headphones: Bosshifi, Sivga, Monoprice M600 etc)
It's not a band headband, I have heard of some people having the metal around the hinges fail, but that may have been a production problem with some of the various Chinese clones.
My issue with them is the dimensions. It's a tall headband, so the only way I could get them to ever fit properly was to wear a hat or put a foam pad on the top of my head to make up the height difference (which was a comfortable but visually absurd solution)

Sep 14, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #850 of 1,409
1060C also just fine if you leave the cups on ?
They were really to replace my previous Audeze 2CBs....wore them
in cafes...HARDCORE.....haha. Monster cans in public.

No idea why they stained Zebrano, it's one of the top grain woods out there unless they had trouble with reasonable grain mirroring/matching on a set. Will be stripping that dark stain off if looks OK to match them with a satin finish.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #851 of 1,409
I dropped my 1060c yesterday and they hit the floor with the left 2.5mm jack. It's housing was impacted up to the grill - where the blue arrow is. I retracted it as much as I dared but it's still a little indented - the green arrow. The headphones are working just fine but I'm afraid to take the jack out when I'll transport them (I travel often).
Any ideas how to fix the housing?
20190915_144051c.jpg 20190915_143920c.jpg

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #852 of 1,409

OK so here's is my shoot-off between the Audeze Vegan, ZMF Oval Suede, and the new Dekoni Microsuede pads. I tested these on my Modded M1060s and the ThieAudio Phantoms.

The long and the short of it is that they are all very similar, but do have a noticeable enough difference that you might like one over the other. The overall ranking is Audeze Vegans > ZMF Oval Suedes > Dekoni Microsuedes.
  • Dekoni Microsuedes: Most comfortable, most bass, least treble
  • ZMF Oval Suedes: Slightly smaller than the other 2 diameter wise; still very thick; More bass than Audeze Vegans; The slightest bit less treble than Audeze Vegans; More comfortable than Audeze Vegans
  • Audeze Vegans: Most treble; Greater "air" to the sound.
Overall the Audeze Vegans are still my favorite for the overall sound, mostly because of the extra "air" to the sound. The ZMF Oval Suedes are a very close 2nd, they just don't have as much "air" to the sound as the Vegans. The Dekoni Microsuedes are great but are a little too warm for my tastes. I'm hoping to order the Vesper Audio pads before the end of the year for a Final final comparison. But as it stands right now I would say that the ZMF Oval Suedes are the best available Audeze Vegan Alternative on the market. They really are very close. They are just missing that extra bit of air and treble.

Please don't read into this thinking that the new Dekoni Microsuedes are bad pads. They are very good. Way better than the previous Dekoni Elite Velours. All of the pads are great and depending on your preferred sound signature you may like one over the other.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #853 of 1,409
1060C as easy to drive as LCD2C ?
I just mean a baseline input of 2-300mWatts headroom etc to get them rolling...I know an Emotiva amp will leave all the lower power stuff in the dust, but right now I'm looking at simpler portable power choices...

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #854 of 1,409
1060C as easy to drive as LCD2C ?
I just mean a baseline input of 2-300mWatts headroom etc to get them rolling...I know an Emotiva amp will leave all the lower power stuff in the dust, but right now I'm looking at simpler portable power choices...

I never had a problem running either off my Oppo HA-2 or the Radsone EarStudio ES100 for that matter. I haven't done a comparison between the 2 recently, but from memory, I believe the M1060C was easier to drive.

Sep 17, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #855 of 1,409
....anyone using the cup attachment kit with these ? How do you remove..lever them off with your finger ?

I just wonder how a grill under the closed cup will affect the backwaves when its usually one or the other
but not both on the outer area...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back