monitor-positioned speakers
Mar 12, 2006 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
so, my living room is a freaking deathtrap of acute angles, holes, open spaces, desks, and other sound-killing features.

so, my speakers are on my desk, on a couple of cinderblocks. anyway, when i really want the hi-end audio position, it's with me sitting at my desk and the bookshelves about three feet away, tweeters at ear-level. here's the big question: is this really a reasonable application with speakers? even with my ears so close to the drivers am i incurring irreperable damages from the room dynamics? clearly this is a difficult question, but what i'm trying to ask is: how important are room dynamics in a monitor-like positioning like this?

second: is it a bad idea to turn my speakers upside down in order to get those tweeters at ear level?

Mar 12, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 9
Very important, they're inescapable. They will be slightly less important because the direct sound is going to be relatively more powerful at your distance, but when you're talking about room modes of +/-15db, it's going to affect your sound no matter how you cut it.

Try to minimize near by surfaces as much as possible. High frequency diffraction is killer. Also, try to make sure first reflection points are on paths significantly longer than the direct path, unless you can kill those points entirely.

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 9
Not suggesting you buy anything, read the articles.

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 9
Uzziah: Try turning the speakers upside down (tweeters down) and see how it sounds. If it sounds worse, flip them back.

I have the same concern about defraction on the desktop. I wonder if putting some cheap foam in front of the speaker would help? I suspect it would.

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 9

hope this helps.

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 9
Read about felt here: http://www.speakerdesign.net/home.html

It won't do a darn thing about diffraction off your desk.

Figure 4 is ridiculous. The same reflection point pattern is still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back