Monitor headphones under $200 - are there any?
Aug 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Alexium

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings!

I'm quite new to the world of hi-fi headphones. Until now I only have had 2 models worth mentioning: Koss KSC75 and KOSS R/80, and I have also listened to a bit more expensive Grado SR60i. That pretty much covers all my experience with headphones.
I think I'm ready to purchase something better. I believe I'd like to get monitor-like sounding headphones, I would especially like flat frequency responce in high freq range. And deep bass (not neccessarily overly powerful, but deep into low frequencies). And, of course, I want my new headphones to outperform the R/80 by a great margin :) 
How do you think, is it possible to get all this in under $200? Even if not, what would you recommend to me?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 8
Sony MDR-7509HD sounds up your alley. They don't need a amp and probably are my favs at the $200 range.

Senn HD25-1 ii is also good. But uncomfortable after a long time.

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Sony MDR-7509HD sounds up your alley. They don't need a amp and probably are my favs at the $200 range.

Senn HD25-1 ii is also good. But uncomfortable after a long time.

Thanks for the swift response.
I'm not going to to plug those phones to a portable player, I only need them for home use. I've found out that my Cowon doesn't like the R/80 too much, some deep bass is just inaudible, even though I know it's there. I'm going to use them with a CD-player which has an amp, and I'm also planning on DIYing DAC and a headphone amp, so amping won't be a problem.
Also, I don't have much time to listen to new phones for several hours straight, so I'd prefer better sound over better comfort.

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 8
Is there something you can say about Sennheiser HD 598? A guy sells them for exactly 200 dollars, should I be interested or not?

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Can you say something about Sennheiser HD 598? A guy sells them for exactly 200 dollars, should I be interested or not?

Well, a studio monitor has a variety of definition. Some say studio monitors are closed cans, some say they're semi open or fully open. Actually that depends in the kind of studio environment you're in. If the place is loud and noisy, you need a closed can like MDR-7509, HD 25, but if you're in a place where there's no noise, HD 600 or DT 880 can be used. The HD 598 has coloring in the sound, so I wouldn't recommend it for monitoring purposes. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, I'm not in a studio, I'm at home, listening to favourite music. It's just I wish to listen to it without too much colouring. It's quiet here, opened cans would be just fine.
Are opened generally prefered to closed, sound-wise?

Aug 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Well, I'm not in a studio, I'm at home, listening to favourite music. It's just I wish to listen to it without too much colouring. It's quiet here, opened cans would be just fine.

I've always preferred opened due to the airy sound and soundstage. Some closed cans also have great soundstage, such as the Denon's mid-end cans.

Aug 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:

The HD598 are like Grado but with more soundstage and more FUN

I like mine, wear them about 8 hours a day, BUT THEY DO NEED A AMP

They need a amp because the lower mids adn upper lows need more power.

So don't go for them, go for a Grado.

Go for a Grado Sr225i, because it sounds like a HD598 but you don't need a amp. Grado's are best to listen to the music, the forward soundstage is great for just enjoying your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back