Monitor amp, and main amp, through headphone out
Jun 9, 2002 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JohnSmith

New Head-Fier
Okay, i am throwing a party this weekend. i have a kenwood home stereo which pumps out the tunes pretty good.

i also have a sony 500W hometheatre amp.

both amps have 2 matching speakers, 8 ohms.

what i would like to do, is use the sony amp as a monitor, to put beside the DJ so he can hear what is going on with no distortion or delay.

then i can leave my kenwoods where they are for people to hear the sound.

so.. question is, how do i hook this up?

I have a vestax PCV275, it has outputs for master only, no record or zone output.

it does have 2 master outs, one is RCA (which i am using) and the other is balanced XLRs.

do i need to output from the mixer to do this? because i don't have XLR inputs on the sony.

I have it hooked up right now, with a CD playing, into the CD input on the kenwood.

then i did something, which is working, but i am scared about. i hooked the headphone output of the kenwood, to the line in on the sony. it seems to be working, but i am worried of blowing the inputs on the sony, because the headphone input does have some amplification.

the sony also has a tape out, which should allow me to output that at line level to the kenwood. i tried, and it didn't seem to work though.

the kenwood has a section marked adaptor, where it has 2 RCA pairs for in and out, i assume this is for a preamp or poweramp.

BUT, they are covered over with bridge plugs right now. if i take out the plugs the sound stops.

so, what do i do?

Jun 10, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 4
John,

hooking up the output from the kenwood's headphone amp (as you are currently) is fine, just keep the head amp volume low and use the sony for ampilification. of course there are sonic issues, but its a party and no one will be listening critcally anyway
wink.gif
impedence problems should be minimal.

To use the sony's tape outs and also for monitoring, you'll also need a return (tape in) input... what you can do (assuming you kenwood also has a tape loop) is take the tape out of the kenwood, tape input to sony, tape out of sony into tape in for the kenwood. set both to monitor/record/tape/whatever.

or, you could just get some y-splitters
wink.gif

best,
carlo.

Jun 10, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 4
well.. i can't keep the volume low on the kenwood, as it will be the main speakers for the party.

the DJ mixer doesn't put out a very loud signal, if i keep it peaking at 0db that is.

so, i have to crank the amp up pretty loud. and being DJs, they will probably turn it up too.

so the signal coming out the headphone out on the kenwood is going to be pretty hot.

and we are probably going to play for 6 to 8 hours.

this could damage my amp right? maybe i should just get some XLR to RCA connectors, and use the second master out on the mixer, that would be safer. thanks for your help m8!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back