Momentum VS MDR-1R?
Jun 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #61 of 101
Quote:
You cannot dismiss what you ears hear.. Yet..
There is no peaky treble on the 1r.
You are alone in that statement.

Which means whatever equipment you used plus whatever source plus selection of music you used caused that specific scenario ..

So looks like in your case, you would do better with another headphones.

Edit: aha I see now...
The graph gave you a mental misconception maybe?
From the pdf file if you read correctly it shows a rise in the mids,
Wich correlates with general consensus that it is mid-centric with nice soundstage.

Heads up, coming back a month later and editing a previous post and adding that is not kewel. 

Now back to graphs, they give you a better grasp of what's going on....to quote Richard Feynman:

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."

Science and real data keep us "honest".

Anyhoo...back to things, picked up a pair of the MDR-1Rs and now that I've had more time to go back and forth between them, the Senns still sound more coherent to my ears with better sub-bass and slightly smoother treble. The mids on the MDR-1Rs are outstanding and I'll have to change my assessment on the imaging, the Sony's do in fact image better.

Comfort wise, I have always found the Sennheisers quite comfortable, but the Sony's are simply in a whole new class in this regard. And seeing that they fold flat makes them easier to bring onto plane flights. Getting that thicker Momentum case to fit in that small pouch in the seat in front of you was always a chore. I have gained some more respect for the 1Rs...outstanding headphones and for the price pretty darn hard to beat the price to performance ratio. I do like them better than my (now sold) UE9000s (which cost 2X more).

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #62 of 101
Hi guys... I can get the mdr-1r for 200 euros and the sennheiser momentums for 160 (both new).
Wich would be the better deal?

I listen to pretty much everything but usually i listen more to pop/indie/rock/progressive and trance....

Wich would be the better option?

Cheers and sorry for the bother... :)

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #63 of 101
Quote:
Hi guys... I can get the mdr-1r for 200 euros and the sennheiser momentums for 160 (both new).
Wich would be the better deal?

I listen to pretty much everything but usually i listen more to pop/indie/rock/progressive and trance....

Wich would be the better option?

Cheers and sorry for the bother... :)

I think the MDR-1R has a little bit more isolation and bigger cups and is very comfortable. The Momentum is comfortable too but its small cups can be a little tight on some ears. For sound alone, I'd pick the Momentum if they cost the same. For cheaper, I'd definitely pick the Momentum. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #64 of 101
well the momentums are 40 euros cheaper... :)
But wich one would be more suitable as an all rounder? I can spend a week listening to rock and the nest only listening to to trance so they must really do good in all genres if possible...

My ears are about 67/68 mm.... Should they fit in the momentums?

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #66 of 101
Bit ia the bass that strong on the r1? I like all house/progressive and trance... And although i like a good and presente bass i dont like it to be overpowering since the rest of the frequencies are importante as well, specially in trance.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #68 of 101
Quote:
I much prefer the momentum over the 1R
I'm not a basshead in the slightest so the 1R didn't appeal to me at all.

Yep, I'd go with the Momentums...just better. I actually liked the 1Rs, but not anywhere as much as the Momentums. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #70 of 101
Resolution is much better on the momentums than on the sonys? But do you guys think that tje momentums woulderform better with eletronic dance music? I was reading some reviews about the Sonys and some say they miss the fun factor... I font know exactly what fun factor means but i am going to assume they are not the most pumping headphones....

The momentums serem amazing so far and at 160 euros they serem to be a gopd step up from my cals and my v6s... And i am just worried abou t conforto because i havê 68mm ears and when i testes the momentums although they felt nice and although i got the over eat effect the sides of the para seemed to be in contacto with my ears and i dont know if that would be good after am hour (i only tried them for like 5 min)...

Nevere tried the sonys unfortunately....

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #71 of 101
Quote:
Resolution is much better on the momentums than on the sonys? But do you guys think that tje momentums woulderform better with eletronic dance music? I was reading some reviews about the Sonys and some say they miss the fun factor... I font know exactly what fun factor means but i am going to assume they are not the most pumping headphones....

The momentums serem amazing so far and at 160 euros they serem to be a gopd step up from my cals and my v6s... And i am just worried abou t conforto because i havê 68mm ears and when i testes the momentums although they felt nice and although i got the over eat effect the sides of the para seemed to be in contacto with my ears and i dont know if that would be good after am hour (i only tried them for like 5 min)...

Nevere tried the sonys unfortunately....

I found the bass on the Momentums goes deeper and lower treble isn't as shouty. The 1Rs do image a bit better though. Both sound excellent to my ears, but I still have the Momentums. 
size]

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #72 of 101
GOing for the momentum. From all the reviews i read here on head fi it seems that the sony's are more appropriate pof indie and acoustic stuff. While it may not be the best performer at edm the momntum still semm to be more capable for that. From what ive heard when i had the chance of testing they sounded almost exactly like my creative aurvana lives but of course the momentums had much better resolution and less soundstage (wich is bad because if they had the same soundstage as the cal!'s they would be perfect... unfortunately it is a more in your head sound, but still its not that that bad from what i recall...)

Would there be an option combinig the style and sound of the momentums with the cal!'s or the r1 soundstage?

Although i think i am going to try something more suitable for edm later like the v-modas or the amperiors.... 

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #73 of 101
Guys i got the momentums. So far i am loving the Sound. As i said they sound like a aurvana live HD :)

There are only two things that are bugging me... After 50 minutes, onde hour they became unconfortable, but having 68 mm ears i was already expecting this and i can live with that since i dont use the for more than that amount of time (usually). Now what really is bothering me ia that while i am walking with them i serem not to get the same seal on the right pad as i get on the left... This resultes in a little bit more pressured Sound from the left side and from the right it seems like theres Air coming in and in the end the pressures are unbalanced and thata not very nice. Could it be my head shape? The left pad itself is faulty (it doesnt look like it) or in a worwe scenario mau i havê unbalanced drivers? I already got 15 hours of burn in on them...

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #74 of 101
Guys i got the momentums. So far i am loving the Sound. As i said they sound like a aurvana live HD :)

There are only two things that are bugging me... After 50 minutes, onde hour they became unconfortable, but having 68 mm ears i was already expecting this and i can live with that since i dont use the for more than that amount of time (usually). Now what really is bothering me ia that while i am walking with them i serem not to get the same seal on the right pad as i get on the left... This resultes in a little bit more pressured Sound from the left side and from the right it seems like theres Air coming in and in the end the pressures are unbalanced and thata not very nice. Could it be my head shape? The left pad itself is faulty (it doesnt look like it) or in a worwe scenario mau i havê unbalanced drivers? I already got 15 hours of burn in on them...

You are just experiencing the small size of the pads. That, and your ear shapes may not be perfectly symmetrical. I had to tuck my ears inside the Momentums to get them to fit right, which made them start twitching after about 30 minutes... I loved the sound and design, but I had to re-adjust them too much. Ended up returning them.

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #75 of 101
Thays exactly what i am feeling... :'(

I really dont know what to do... I really am loving the Sound and the looks but after 30 minutes or so my hears start to hurt... I only have two more days to return them and i rSally dont know what to do... Only the amperior or the MDR 1rs catch my eye as replacement contenders but from what erverybody says they will not be near as good....

Really dont know what to do...

(I think the amperiors and the mdr1 rs are the only contenders not only because they are good for inside and outside use but also both fit the price i payed for the momentums 160 euros...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back