Momentum 2.0, HD 569, Sony MDR-1A... Need help.
Nov 6, 2017 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ElephantTLK

100+ Head-Fier
Hi.

I have good pair of headphones for critical listening (Beyer T1 1st gen). They are great headphones overall. Maybe little too bright (peak in treble), bass light on some songs.

Now i am looking for closed/open cans for "portable" use. By portable i mean easy to drive like on phone, tablet.
I will use them at home. Mostly in bed while watching movies, videos on tablet.

First i was thinking that i need closed set but i don´t care if its open or closed.
I was looking at this cans:

- Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (i can get then "cheap" around 150€)
- Sony MDR-1A (130€)
- Sennheiser HD 569 (140€)
and
- Sennheiser HD 579 (170€)
- Sennheiser HD 599 (can get them for 170€)
- HD 598 SE (130€)
- HD 558 (140€)

So i am not sure what to buy.
I want good comfort (have bigger ears, average size head).
Not too bright. Warmer sound.
Decent bass (i am not basshead but i want some bass).
I am listening to everything. Mostly to rock, fusion, jazz... But also to some good pop, electronic music (daft punk for example).
But mostly rock, blues, fusion, jazz...

What would be best option?

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 12
The Momentum 2 are much better than the MDR-1A to my ears. The 1A is too muddy for my tastes and the cups are shallow. I also don't like the build quality.

The Momentum 2 on the other hand is very well built, but the earcups run small. I have medium ears and it fits me snugly but I've heard lots of complaints about the earcup size so keep that in mind.

The 598/599 is the most comfortable option in that list but neither has very much bass. They're warm-ish and clear, but the bass is lacking. I still love my 598 for general use and gaming, but they're not great for music with "important" bass. I'd only use them for classical or acoustic if I ever listened to music on them. The new line, including the 599 and other xx9 "updated" headphones seem to have much better build quality than the originals.

The 558 has more bass, apparently, but I've never heard it. Out of all the options, I'd suggest that one. It should have the comfort of the 598/599 and a meatier low end.

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 12
Thank you for detailed explanation...

So Momentum 2.0 is improved over origional on-ear but still has small earcups?
I have T1 and pads/earcups are big but they are just about right for my ears. So Momentum would be very "tight" fit i guess...

I must mention that i owned old Sennheiser HD595 for more than 10 years. And HD 650 too. I regret the day i sold HD 650. They were great headphones.
HD 595 were good headphones, but lacked bass...

So HD 558 would be best choice? Are they good for rock?

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 12
Thank you for detailed explanation...

So Momentum 2.0 is improved over origional on-ear but still has small earcups?
I have T1 and pads/earcups are big but they are just about right for my ears. So Momentum would be very "tight" fit i guess...

I must mention that i owned old Sennheiser HD595 for more than 10 years. And HD 650 too. I regret the day i sold HD 650. They were great headphones.
HD 595 were good headphones, but lacked bass...

So HD 558 would be best choice? Are they good for rock?
I've never heard the 558 but they should do well for rock and they would be plenty comfy and big enough for most all ear sizes

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 12
Thank you again. Mainly i will use them for youtube, videos, movies... And maybe some music, games. But main headphones for music will be T1. So i guess i should be ok with 558. Maybe even newer 579?

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 12
Thank you again. Mainly i will use them for youtube, videos, movies... And maybe some music, games. But main headphones for music will be T1. So i guess i should be ok with 558. Maybe even newer 579?
I think both of those would be perfect! There should be plenty of reviews and YouTube videos explaining how the 5xx series stack up against each other

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #7 of 12
Hi.

I bought Momentum 2.0 "over ear".
And today i am returning them. Because they does not fit properly. I have big ears so pads are touching point on my ears. I cant get good position.
Sound is ok. Maybe too much midbass...

So i am searching for new headphones.
I was thinking of DT770 32 ohm. But i have heard that 80 ohm are better (darker) which i ike. Problem is that i will use them with tablet, phone at home.
Is big difference in sound between 32 or 80 ohm?
I am afraid that highs could be too much...

How are AKG 550 MKII? I dont need too much bass. But i want some bass, weight.

Lastly which are better? HD 579 or 599? I can get 599 cheaper than 579 at the moment.

How are Custom one pro?

What would you choose guys?

I listen mostly to rock, metal, prog, jazz and also some pop music.

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 12
I'd say the HD599 is the objectively better headphone of the two. And if you can get it cheaper than the 579 then that's a good deal.

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 12
Also if the Momentum 2 had too much mid bass then I'd recommend against the MDR for your tastes. It had way too much muddy bass. Less mid bass than the Momentum 2 without EQ, but it sounded much worse overall.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 12
I'd say the HD599 is the objectively better headphone of the two. And if you can get it cheaper than the 579 then that's a good deal.

So HD 599 is more for rock, metal than 579?

What about DT 770? Or AKG 550 MK2?

Edit: is big difference in sound between DT770 32 ohm and 80 ohm?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi guys again...

I bought DT 770 32 ohms...
Sound is ok. Bass is good, mids ok. Maybe highs are just little too much... But not too harsh, bright. Just little too much.
But I have another bigger problem with this headphone...
It is uncomfortable! At least for me! I was thinking that comfort would not be problem for me as I have T1 and they are super comfortable... Only problem is they are bit heavy.

Problem with DT770 is that ears are touching foam inside and maybe pads too... Unbearable. Uncomfortable.
I cant wear them for too long. Ears starts to hurt. Also i get ringing in my ears...
From pressure? Or from sound / highs? Dont know.
I cant use them for long.
I tried pads from T1 on DT770. Unbearable treble, no real bass. :tired_face: Didnt like sound at all. And ears was still resting on foam inside cups on driver. So still not so comfortable.

So I am thinking to sell them now when they are new. Old few days.
I cant wear headphone that is uncomfortable!
Or is there any other solution?

But if i choose to sell them...
What should i buy next?
I was thinking Sennheiser HD569. I know that Sennheiser will be comfortable for me because i had HD595 and they were super comfortable.
I tried Momentum 2 and again not comfortable because of small pads. They were more on ear for me.

Are HD 569 good? Or should I buy HD579? I like oval shape of cups. Better for in use on bed, lying down...

Any other recommendation in this price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back