mojo best amp for k712 pro?
Nov 2, 2017 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

localuser

New Head-Fier
first timer i just got my k712 pro, and was searching for some amps since my desktop isnt enough to drive it. so far ive seen some suggestions. mostly amps that can drive k712 just "fine". so i was wondering, whats best amp that i could get? i have my eye on mojo chord. is it the best choice for that price range? or is there any other amp that would best fit k712? my budget is around 500usd. i dont know much, im no audiophile aswell

WANTS:

-planning to buy it locally

im from PH/philippines

-portable

-would use it for gaming

-ofc music/genres:rock/pop
i can pretty much listen to any genre but those 2 are the majority

-decent looking
bonus, not a priority as long as its portable

-durability

-future-proof
versatile-future headphone upgrade/amp that will last for years without upgrading the amp itself

-battery life?

-u might be wondering why would i buy k712 pro if im a regular person and just for everyday use,
i wanted something that would last for years, investment maybe?

if u need more info, just let me know. thanks

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 5
The Chord Mojo is a very good option, especially if you want some portability.
would that be the best choice for the price range? cause the most used amps that can drive k712 just "fine" costs around 200$ if im not mistaken. i know k712 is hard to drive, i just wanna make sure that chord isnt too much. are there any portable amps that can drive k712 like the chord but cheaper? if yes may i ask, whats the difference?

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 5
At 62 ohm and 105db sensitivity they shouldn’t be real hard to drive. Just have to say there is no such thing as too much. Overkill is underrated.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 5
After using the Mojo quite a bit over the past 4 months, I'd say no, but it's just personal preference.

I never experienced the magical "musicality" that I was supposed to, and constantly found myself wishing I had my desktop setup with me at school.

First, let me say this:
Without the proper DAP, you won't be able to run the Mojo->k712. There's a small list of DAPs that actually interface properly with the Mojo, because it's essentially a digital-in only setup. As such, the DAC chip in your DAP is wasted, and you're paying for the digital out capabilities. Needless to say, and its obvious enough, this point still grinds my gears.

Secondly, in my use case scenario, I'm studying for hours at a time in the library. Because my DAP doesn't directly interface, I hook my DAP up to my laptop, use it as an external hard drive of sorts, and play my music through Foobar, and run it to the Mojo. It's an unnecessarily convoluted solution, but c'est la vie. I have both power and source connected via usb. I've had the Mojo shut off on me one or two times a day, within about an hour to two of use. To the touch, the Mojo is hotter than I should like, and I suspect the shut off is occurring as a result of the temperature. Mind you, I'm typically driving E-MU Teaks, but sometimes it's Noble X's or a Hifiman HE400s.

Third, I just don't think it sounds much better than the audio straight from my DAP. I have an Aune M1S, and I don't feel like I'm really missing anything by switching between sources. In fact, I've stopped taking the Mojo with me, and prefer to run straight from the DAP now.

I think you'd probably be better served getting more efficient headphones, and running straight from DAP. If you really want something that'll last you, the Sennheiser HD 25 1-ii are a good pick. I've had good luck with Hifiman HE400 models, and the Philips X2. I don't think you'd be missing out on much, except the vast size of soundstage that comes with the AKG's, and even then, the X2's wouldn't suggest a wide gap in that arena.

Save your money, get a quality DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back