Mods for SR-009
Feb 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #31 of 170
The two brackets are cut to size, however it's not possible to thread the holes needed in the brackets with them needing to be so short, so to get around that I've ordered M2 threaded inserts to which I just drill holes to the diameter of those inserts in the brackets, then secure them. Once that's done I can screw the new headband to my 009 cups via the two brackets and if everything works OK, I'll take the band to have leather put on which I'm having done by someone that stitches leather. 

P.S. The black tape on the Headband in the photos is only temporary, once ready for the leather the tape will be taken off.

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #32 of 170
Although it's taken longer than I wanted, I've made progress with the headband I'm doing for my 009's.
The photos are of how far I've got with that band, I'm going to have the two spring steel bands powder coated in matt silver, and the strong plastic band covered with black leather. I'm also going to have the two pieces of aluminium cleaned up 

The four inserts in each of the two pieces of aluminium which are                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                                                                                                        threaded, are so I can screw the aluminium to the metal bands.
                                                                                                         They're made of brass.                                                                                                      
                                                                                                        The insert on the far right is for to screw the 009's yoke to the band.

Everything looks rough at the moment, but when finished                      I'm having  STAX  laser engraved on the two pieces of aluminium                                                                                 
the band should look a lot better.                                                                         SR-009

in the photo above.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #36 of 170

Sorry, but yes I'm at it again with photos.
Three of them are not very good because it was artificial light when they were taken.
The photos are of my 009's with the new headband I've been working on. 
Comfort wise my new look 009's are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, and no that's not BS, they really are, and when the leathers been put on I think they'll be even more comfortable.
However I had a listen and while they sounded very good, I've asked IanG if he'll bring his 009's to my place so we can compare the two. 
He's popping through tomorrow.
I'm hoping the two sound the same because I really like the look of my 009's with this new headband, to which I feel they'll look even better when the black leathers on.

The aluminium brackets are too wide so I'll have them cut roughly in half.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #38 of 170
I think it looks pretty sharp. For the people defending the comfort of the 009, haven't you guys ever turned your head quickly, and feel the weight of the 009 shift on your head? I always found that sort of annoying. Is that just due to the weight of the 009, or would a more conventional headband help with that?

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #39 of 170
I think it looks pretty sharp. For the people defending the comfort of the 009, haven't you guys ever turned your head quickly, and feel the weight of the 009 shift on your head? I always found that sort of annoying. Is that just due to the weight of the 009, or would a more conventional headband help with that?

How is this supposed to help vs. quickly turning your head?

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #40 of 170
Quote:

Lol kinda looks like a Hifiman HE300 now:

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #41 of 170
Quote:

I have never had this happen, though, aside from having a big dome, I try to slow things down when I have $5000 balancing on my head.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #42 of 170
CybDev, I don't exactly know, I'm actually wondering if this headband helps any in that regard. It's more like I'm throwing it out there, since some of the themes in this topic are: comfort (as far at it concerns me, having the 099 nice and stable on my dome,) and headbands. What do you know, I think my comment may have touched on that. I sure hope so. Struggles, you don't someone to snatch it off your head right? You kids these days don't worry about anything:wink:

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #43 of 170
The headband isn't complete yet, as I've said I'm having black leather put around the plastic band section with also a 3mm thick, 25mm wide strip of foam on the inside of that band. [ obviously under the leather ] I'm having the strip of foam put on for extra comfort because as we know the 009's cups are quite heavy.
I find putting on my 009's on with this new band is a very similar feel to my HD-600's, and I can turn my head and they don't move.
Obviously the most important part of an headphone is SQ, so when IanG brings his 009's to my place today, and if I find there's a difference in the SQ, I'll just put the original band back on.

Yes the 009's with the new headband will look similar to HiFiman headphones.

The two photos are to show that the band is adjustable for different size heads, also the two aluminium brackets are too long so I'll be having them cut in half.

Some will probably think I'm going OTT with what I'm doing, but I just don't like the extruding part of the Stax headband.

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #44 of 170
Sorry if I missed this but what's the possibility of being able to use smaller anchor blocks for the swivel? Thought that if you need something light yet strong, maybe titanium or something??

Edit: good job BTW. Maybe just not so keen on the "almost Sennheiser" logo on the headband :wink:!!

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #45 of 170
As all that have seen the new headband are probably aware, that band is a complete replacement headband for the Senn HD-650's, in which I've mentioned the plastic part of that band is being covered in black leather.
The two aluminium brackets I'm using are too long so I'm having them cut to a better length, they can easily be taken off and put back on.
Even though the brackets are only made of aluminium, they're very strong and will support the weight of the 009's cups easily.

I've mentioned my new look 009's are very comfortable which I find them to be, the only problem at the moment comfort wise, is with the 009 cups being slightly heavy, and with the inside of the band partly being plastic, the band does press on the top of my head a bit, [ the fact I shave my head doesn't help ] but I've tried them on wearing one of my wooly caps and they feel great. 
So when the foam and leather's been put on, they'll be even better.

The only thing that's concerning me at the moment is the SQ, which is why IanG's visiting me today with his 009's. I've heard my 009's with the new band and the SQ was very good, but I need another 009 to do a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back