ModMic (4.0) and external USB audio interface - how to get it to work?
May 19, 2014 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BullHorn

Head-Fier
I just got the ModMic 4.0 to allow me the freedom of not having to use a stand with my AT2035 all the time. I was willing to give up on some of the quality but I did not expect this.

When I first connected it to the front audio ports of my PC case, it didn't work at all. After reading their FAQ I realized that it requires more power than the front of the case provides so I connected it to the back and it worked, but not without a ton of white noise, produced by the cheap on-board Realtek sound card.

Then I tried my Focusrite... I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 that I've been using to record professional microphones, guitars and basses for a number of years..... I had to use a cheap 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to connect to the Focusrite but the microphone wouldn't work this way. The 1/4" inputs on the Focusrite are combined XLR/TRS ports and can run with 48V phantom power. Any idea if it's possible to get it to work? Perhaps if I get a 1/8" to XLR adapter/cable?

Man, this is so frustrating. :frowning2:

May 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 8
I recorded a review with sound samples. Antlion is a small-ish company, hopefully they see my video and address this... Maybe by providing some adapters in the package.

Pardon my English, it's not my native tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sfePif9IaM

May 24, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 8
I've found Realtek noise suppression adds a bit of tinny artifact. This is regardless of mic.

I just received my modmic4 and it works fine with my ALC887 (Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard), even on the front headers, although I do need noise suppression ON to remove the line noise.

I also have an Andrea Array 2S. It works well but requires 30db of gain. The modmic4 only requires 10db of gain at rec volume of 94 in mumble.

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 8
Any luck getting it to work with external interfaces? In this video he had to use an XLR -> 3.5mm phantom power adapter, but those are kinda expensive for what they are :frowning2:

Edit: I think it should be possible to get its preamp to work with a standard "plug-in-power" circuit. I'm going to try building a little converter box to power it (should cost like $0.50 in parts and work with USB power).

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 8
I just got one of these and thought going from a female stereo mini plug into 2 rcas on a stereo channel would work but it's dead as a dodo.

Gutted.

Designed clearly for onboard sound.

May have to get the cash for some Beyers or similar with an xlr mic plug.

Modmic is useless.

I don't touch sound cards with miniplugs on them with a ten foot pole.

Has to be balanced.

P.S. I tried by inserting gain FX into my channel strip but the hiss is unbelievable!

Useless even with a gate.

The funny thing is straight when you plug it in and talk,the first 5 seconds there is no sound then the hiss comes in.

Must be the noise cancelling BS that  introduces the hiss.

Does ANYONE make a product like Antlion but with an XLR plug?

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 8
I got it to work with a custom power circuit, but the drawback is that you need really clean power to run this thing with any decent sound quality. USB power is definitely not good enough without a lot of filtering. Circuit examples are here: http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/microphone_powering.html#soundcard

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 8
I did get more gain out of the mic by switching on phantom power funny enough but the hiss was through the roof.

I do have an Audio Technica lav mic that works much better but that hisses away also and because it's omni directional,picks up everything.
I think the Audio Technica headset has an xlr mic with a dynamic cardioid mic pattern but I just love the sound of my Beyer dt 990 pros and don't want to fork out a load of cash just for mic functionality.

I guess The Antlion Modmic was never intended to be used the way I had in mind.

Designed for gamers with 500 dollar graphics cards and 2 dollar sound cards lol.

Antlion did send me an email not long ago and said they are looking into making a version of the modmic with an xlr plug.

Yes please(begs on hands and knees).

A big hole in the market place for something like that.

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 8
I did an experiment and recorded the signal in Reaper this time I changed my sound cards output to unbalanced.

I talked into the modmic and the level was miniscule and unusable.

I have a phantom power switch on my little mixing desk and tried that.

Immediately the gain went up and I got a fantastic signal BUT then the mic in a few seconds goes back to the unusable miniscule level it was before.

It does the same thing when I turn the phantom power off,the mic sounds really great then over a few seconds the signal dies again.

This has to be the noise cancellation "feature" in the new 4.0 modmics.

The waveforms are very nice for that 3 seconds then the mic goes back into it's shell.

What a waste of money sobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back