Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #2,551 of 3,042
Things got quiet lately did everyone finish their mods ? How does your new mods sound?

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #2,552 of 3,042
Things got quiet lately did everyone finish their mods ? How does your new mods sound?
I'am just wait for silver sheet to come in for backplate mod. In the meanwhile, I'm still playing around with tuning OrionV2.

I can already tell the copper plate is better than aluminum. Alu sounds a bit muddier on the lower end. Copper make the sound clearer and treble is finer also.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #2,553 of 3,042
Jun 26, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #2,554 of 3,042
Silver sheet just came in right now. After preliminary test, bass is heavily and very impactful. More dynamic, soundstage, seperation and holographic. Treble is even more finer too.
Copper plate is a bit less energetic overall.

Cost for the same size/price ratio is up to 35x more expensive for silver vs copper.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #2,555 of 3,042
Silver sheet just came in right now. After preliminary test, bass is heavily and very impactful. More dynamic, soundstage, seperation and holographic. Treble is even more finer too.

I would of tought copper had those properties....
Silver is more neutral I would of think

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #2,557 of 3,042
Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #2,558 of 3,042
Looking into WM1Z mods. Is the WM1Z + K Mod from Music Sanctuary good enough if I don't want to invest too much time?
I don't think so because it's mainly the output wires.
I will post pics Tuesday, as I will open my 1z which is kmoded.

Cardas Ithink is the easiest to work with and doesn't degrade the sound.
Yes, I experienced this Cardas solder being the easiest also.

How good is cardas vs mundorf supreme?
Although the mundorf looks & works good, I still believe the Cardas was easier to work with. Very smooth.

Cost for the same size/price ratio is up to 35x more expensive for silver vs copper.
So your using it for the exterior backplate, or for the small internal plate?

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #2,559 of 3,042
I needed to wait for some more 50uf kaisie(replacing the elna silmic choice), as I am going all kaisie.
Just came in yesterday.
:wink:

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #2,560 of 3,042
I don't think so because it's mainly the output wires.
I will post pics Tuesday, as I will open my 1z which is kmoded.

Yes, I experienced this Cardas solder being the easiest also.

Although the mundorf looks & works good, I still believe the Cardas was easier to work with. Very smooth.

So your using it for the exterior backplate, or for the small internal plate?
Going to be internal plate when finish. Will post some photos when it's all done.

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #2,561 of 3,042
I needed to wait for some more 50uf kaisie(replacing the elna silmic choice), as I am going all kaisie.
Just came in yesterday.
:wink:

I wonder if the kaisie will sound like bg but with a blacker background? hmmm :) Right now you working on 1a right? or kaisie is for 1z project?

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #2,562 of 3,042
Jun 27, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #2,563 of 3,042
Though I don't think it's a good idea to wear something in your ear canal for long periods of time. It's probably going to cause ear infection.

I switch between iem and headphones to prevent issues.

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #2,564 of 3,042
Just reading about the A&K SE200 which features two different DACs in the same dap. They are suggesting using the ESS dac side to listen to rock while using the AKM dac side to listen to jazz or classical:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...e-dacs-head-fi-tv.935878/page-6#post-15703831

Well lucky for us, we don’t have to do this kind of dac switcharoo with our Sony S-master HX based walkmans because they will sound great with any type of music genre you can throw at it, even if your Walkman is unmodded with stock firmware. Although you can do further tuning with custom firmware and mods, the stock firmware & hardware by itself is pretty much all genre friendly.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #2,565 of 3,042
Ok this one I never expected to be an issue but our own ears are at the fault we have some bad hearings!!

https://www.flareaudio.com/pages/ca...SE8YSu1Ukyb_osOoiYQUmhtQdqIbwNuSAHA0ifpYkkbJo

Anyone got any opinions on these?
Am curious!
So basically, some kind of silicone waveguide that you insert into your ear.
I'm assuming it doesn't work with IEMs.
But I want to make sure I'm not being 'baffled by BS' lol; it says things like "resonance = distortion", but surely it's not that simple?

Resonance is just two identical sound waves overlapping and causing amplification, no?
Anyway, would be interested to hear your thoughts about this.
Am autistic and sensitive to noise (it can have a really big impact on my mood etc), so am considering this for daily use (when NOT using IEMs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back