Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #2,387 of 3,042
https://www.porta-fi.com/interview-with-the-engineers-of-sony-signature-series/

Tomoaki SATO [TS], Walkman® Project Leader/Senior Electrical Engineer, Sony Video & Sound Products Inc.

Haha, am reading this now.
My favourite dish from Malaysia and Singapore is Hainanese Chicken Rice too :)
Not sure what they mean by "the white version"?
Is it to do with using white meat instead of brown? Can anyone explain?
When I was in Singapore and M'sia, I ate chicken rice every day lol. I ate other things too of course, but couldn't get enough of the chicken rice :joy:

Fascinating reading in there about how the WM1Z almost never came to market.. gosh, can you imagine? :fearful::scream:

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #2,388 of 3,042
Haha, am reading this now.
My favourite dish from Malaysia and Singapore is Hainanese Chicken Rice too :)
Not sure what they mean by "the white version"?
Is this racist? haha. Just kidding. Is it to do with using white meat instead of brown? Can anyone explain?
When I was in Singapore and M'sia, I ate chicken rice every day lol. I ate other things too of course, but couldn't get enough of the chicken rice :joy:

Fascinating reading in there about how the WM1Z almost never came to market.. gosh, can you imagine? :fearful::scream:
not racist at all. the difference is the way they were cooked i.e. steamed (white) or roasted (brown).

Attachments

• steamed.jpg
    steamed.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
  • roasted.jpg
    roasted.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 0
Jun 9, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #2,389 of 3,042
Chicken rice is served in Singapore in three types:

Steam Boiled white
Roasted brown
Soy sauce soaked yellow

The white he mentioned is the Steam boiled white type which retains the soft fatty skin of the chicken.

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #2,390 of 3,042
very helpful! Time to discover another genre. Listened to some progressive house earlier and it was good. Some good EDM tracks highlight the holographic imaging capability of the player.
Thanks!

anjuna beats are more commercial/mainstream/cheesy stuff imo

since you mention prog house , i suggest you go back to the golden era 1999-2004 , whne the genre was COOKING

here are some top mixes to get you started , @Damz87 check them out too i think you will like them

John digweed - gu 019 los angeles
jimmy van m - bdrock
lucien foort - singularity 1/2
evolution & lucien foort - fluid compilation
lemon8 - the inner sanctuary sessions
satoshi tomiie - nubreed

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #2,391 of 3,042
not racist at all. the difference is the way they were cooked i.e. steamed (white) or roasted (brown).

Thanks for the comprehensive answer!
I always had the 'white' version then with the steamed chicken. Same as when I make it at home.

There's a Chinese dish I like, I think it's called 三少肉 (or possibly 三小肉); I've only ever heard the name spoken (something like 'sam siew fan' in Cantonese, 'san shao rou' in Mandarin), so I don't know how it's written exactly. That's roast 'char siu' pork, crispy belly pork and roast duck, with rice (plus soy sauce and bai cai, Chinese cabbage).
I usually just ask for the crispy belly pork and roast duck as I'm not a fan of char siu.

But the 'brown' version of that chicken rice looks pretty much the same :)

Aside from this, a quick question; I have the DX220MAX, and am currently running it 24/7 on 100% power with both chargers plugged in, playing a big playlist in a loop, and using the burn-in cable provided with the 4.4mm CA02 adapter.
Wondering if this adapter could be used to burn in the WM1Z once it's been modded, and if it's safe to the unit to leave it running (plugged in) 24/7 whilst I do that?

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #2,394 of 3,042
Thanks for the replies, although it seems to be the answer to a slightly different question lol (unless you are actually answering someone else's question, in which case my apologies for the misunderstanding!).

I know I can use my favourite music to burn it in - and I will be; but my question specifically is regarding whether it's safe to use the iBasso burn-in cable (plus their 4.4mm adaptor) with the WM1Z plugged in and playing continuously 24-7 until the 200 hours is reached?

I'm often getting an hour or less of listening time per day recently, so rather than wait 200 days (!!) to be able to hear the modded WM1Z at its best, I'd prefer to just plug it in and leave it for 8 days or so and then incorporate it back into my daily routine, thus getting greater value for money in the process :ksc75smile:

But just need to check that's not going to do any harm to the unit/battery?

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #2,395 of 3,042
Thanks for the replies, although it seems to be the answer to a slightly different question lol (unless you are actually answering someone else's question, in which case my apologies for the misunderstanding!).

I know I can use my favourite music to burn it in - and I will be; but my question specifically is regarding whether it's safe to use the iBasso burn-in cable (plus their 4.4mm adaptor) with the WM1Z plugged in and playing continuously 24-7 until the 200 hours is reached?

I'm often getting an hour or less of listening time per day recently, so rather than wait 200 days (!!) to be able to hear the modded WM1Z at its best, I'd prefer to just plug it in and leave it for 8 days or so and then incorporate it back into my daily routine, thus getting greater value for money in the process :ksc75smile:

But just need to check that's not going to do any harm to the unit/battery?
The iBasso burn in dongle provides a resistive load to the amplifier, and is fine for burn in. I believe that is only for the 3.5mm SE output, though.
One caution, whether you use the burn in dongle, or an earphone plugged in, is to engage the HOLD on the DAP, so that somebody does not pick up the DAP and accidentally press on the volume button and set the volume to max.

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #2,396 of 3,042
The iBasso burn in dongle provides a resistive load to the amplifier, and is fine for burn in. I believe that is only for the 3.5mm SE output, though.
One caution, whether you use the burn in dongle, or an earphone plugged in, is to engage the HOLD on the DAP, so that somebody does not pick up the DAP and accidentally press on the volume button and set the volume to max.
" whether it's safe to use the iBasso burn-in cable (plus their 4.4mm adaptor)"

I had not thought of your reference to the use of their 4.4mm adaptor in the previous reply. If you are using the 2.5mm female balanced to male 4.4mm plug, and using this adaptor to plug an IEM with a 2.5mm balanced male plug, into the 4.4mm output of the DAP, that works fine, as it is balanced to balanced.

Do not use a 3.5mm TRS female to 4.4mm male adapter, as that would short out the GRD on the 2 balanced output channels.

Jun 10, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #2,397 of 3,042
Hey everyone! I had kind of a silly question. Would it be possible to improve the power output for the 3.5mm unbalanced output? I have the WM1A and while the unbalanced output drives my Fidelio X2's just fine in terms of volume, the sense of resolution, expansiveness, body, texture of sounds is VERY lacking and very thin in comparison to other sources such as my computer or even my Sony Walkman D-NE319. I really want my WM1A to work well for my Fidelio X2's so I was wondering if a hard mod for the unbalanced output to improve performance with the X2's was possible.

Jun 10, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #2,398 of 3,042
Hey everyone! I had kind of a silly question. Would it be possible to improve the power output for the 3.5mm unbalanced output? I have the WM1A and while the unbalanced output drives my Fidelio X2's just fine in terms of volume, the sense of resolution, expansiveness, body, texture of sounds is VERY lacking and very thin in comparison to other sources such as my computer or even my Sony Walkman D-NE319. I really want my WM1A to work well for my Fidelio X2's so I was wondering if a hard mod for the unbalanced output to improve performance with the X2's was possible.

To get the best sound quality out of your WM1A, you ought to upgrade to 4.4mm cable or a new headphones that supports 4.4mm

This graphics below illustrates in an exaggerated depiction, of the instrument seperation differences between the two plugs:
Left side is 3.5mm and right side is 4.4mm

y_NW-ZX500_004.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #2,399 of 3,042
To get the best sound quality out of your WM1A, you ought to upgrade to 4.4mm cable or a new headphones that supports 4.4mm

This graphics below explains in an exaggerated difference between the two plugs:
Left side is 3.5mm and right side is 4.4mm

y_NW-ZX500_004.jpg
Ha! I knew picture salad is always much more effective than words salad. Who knew!

Jun 10, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #2,400 of 3,042
Would it be possible to improve the power output for the 3.5mm unbalanced output?
Did you look into the settings checkbox for high gain output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back