Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #3,031 of 3,042
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #3,032 of 3,042
ah yes thanks, somehow that one didn't crop up on my Google search

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #3,033 of 3,042
Hey everyone, I have a quick question for you all, I have my WM1A for while now and I'm trying to find out if there's something wrong with my WM-1A or what I'm observing is normal.

For the past 3 months I have not used my WM-1A and when I pulled it last night the battery indicator was showing empty. I always make sure that I turn off the unit before putting it away and on top of that the Auto Power Off option is turned on.

Is it normal for the battery to be almost completely drained in 3 months time or there might be something wrong with my battery?

Thanks for any info you guys can share on this subject.

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #3,034 of 3,042
Hey everyone, I have a quick question for you all, I have my WM1A for while now and I'm trying to find out if there's something wrong with my WM-1A or what I'm observing is normal.

For the past 3 months I have not used my WM-1A and when I pulled it last night the battery indicator was showing empty. I always make sure that I turn off the unit before putting it away and on top of that the Auto Power Off option is turned on.

Is it normal for the battery to be almost completely drained in 3 months time or there might be something wrong with my battery?

That is very common with most devices. There’s always a small power draw that drains the battery over long periods of time.

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #3,035 of 3,042
o

Is it normal for the battery to be almost completely drained in 3 months time or there might be something wrong with my battery.

The walkman draws some battery even when switched off. Nothing to worry. Always advisable to keep it at around 80% when not used for long.

Aug 9, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #3,036 of 3,042
The walkman draws some battery even when switched off. Nothing to worry. Always advisable to keep it at around 80% when not used for long.
Thanks for the info. I will include it as part of my periodic charging routine with all my seldom used rechargeable devices.

Thanks again

That is very common with most devices. There’s always a small power draw that drains the battery over long periods of time.
Agree but I was a bit surprised that it would become almost completely discharged in 3 months.

Thanks for your reply!

Aug 9, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #3,037 of 3,042

Modern devices are never powered off, but just put into standby, which has a low power drain.

If you turn on a device with a button press, that is from standby mode, as the circuit has to be alive to monitor the button press, and react to it. The only devices that are truly powered off are those that have a mechanical switch that actually disconnects the power from the circuit. The power supply on a desktop PC is one of the few devices that I can think of, that actually has a physical power switch.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #3,038 of 3,042
Modern devices are never powered off, but just put into standby, which has a low power drain.

If you turn on a device with a button press, that is from standby mode, as the circuit has to be alive to monitor the button press, and react to it. The only devices that are truly powered off are those that have a mechanical switch that actually disconnects the power from the circuit. The power supply on a desktop PC is one of the few devices that I can think of, that actually has a physical power switch.
I understand anything without a physical switch that disconnects the circuit from the power source will have a parasitic drain even when not powered on.

I'm just a bit surprised that the drain is, in my opinion so great that it almost completely drains the WM1A battery in 3 months and want to make sure that this behavior is normal

Thanks for your reply! :thumbsup:

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #3,039 of 3,042
Hi! I've been a long time wm1a user and lurker over here lately i seem to be in a predicament where i want to sell my 1a and get something else (preferably more power and better sq). I have been looking around for possible upgrades/replacements but only came to the conclusion that the 1a is in a very unique position where in its totally fine regardless of time (planned obsolescence) sorry for my poor wording there just don't know how to put it into words. So here i am thinking of modding my 1a instead. I tried to look for nayparm but his profile seem to be deleted (?) can anyone point me to how to contact him. I'm also interested if anyone has any recommendations for a good modder.

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #3,040 of 3,042
Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #3,041 of 3,042
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back