Modify the headphone jack of my Westone UM1 a bad idea?
Nov 26, 2012 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DeoreDX

New Head-Fier
[size=small]I travel quite a bit for work and I bought a set of Westone UM1's that I use almost [/size][size=small]exclusively[/size][size=small] on the airplane.  I bought them for the great isolation (I switched the Comply tips for Shure olives) and extreme long term comfort for those long 8-17 hour overseas flights.  The one issue I've always had with them is that the headphone jack always seems too big to ever fit into phone cases.  I've had lots of phones and lots of cases and they always seem too big to fit.  I've owned a ton of phones in that time, iPhones, HD2, G1, G2, G2x, Sensation, Galaxy S2, and now a Galaxy Note II.  In the past I've never really used my phone with a headset so I just sort of ignored it.  I would play games and watch videos on a tablet (iPad or Android tablet) and listened to music on a ZuneHD.  But with the Note II I find I never use my tablets any more, and as such need to be able to use them with my headphones.  I don't care for the little 2-3" headphone extensions.  I was curious if it is a really bad idea to shave some of the plastic around the headphone jack?  There looks to be a good amount of extra material around the jack. I would only need to shave less than 1mm around it to get it to fit in most every phone case.  Sure I could modify my phone case but this would be a more permanent solution and hopefully I wouldn't have to worry about this ever again.  Thoughts?[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back