Modified Sony MDR-ZX100
Feb 11, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #16 of 21
  To add to the thread, I just picked these up, and realized that with the stock earpads off, the driver enclosure fits perfectly into the HiFiMan Velour pads.
The improvement in sound is astronomical. Like, wow. That cramped, cheapo headphone feeling went away completely. The sub bass was still lacking, but the overall quality and openness of sound increased drastically.

hahaha yeah I know exactly know what you're talking about with earpads!

I just slipped hifiman he400 earpads under the zx100's, using only the clamping force to keep them on. The soundstage is enormous for a $10 headphone 
biggrin.gif

To be honest, they sound very similar to my AKG Q701's... it's scary...

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #17 of 21
You really aren't going to get a better headphone for $8

Its just unfortunate Sony made all their low end stuff bass heavy (mod bass with the 100s) but of course that's what people who know nothing about headphones look for. I have a pair of 300s, much more clear, sameish sound, but instead of huge mid bass peak, its much lower in the range, it actually does have some sub-bass

They try my T50RPs and say "these suck, where's the bass" even though they are slightly bass heavy

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #18 of 21
You really aren't going to get a better headphone for $8

Its just unfortunate Sony made all their low end stuff bass heavy (mod bass with the 100s) but of course that's what people who know nothing about headphones look for. I have a pair of 300s, much more clear, sameish sound, but instead of huge mid bass peak, its much lower in the range, it actually does have some sub-bass

They try my T50RPs and say "these suck, where's the bass" even though they are slightly bass heavy

Well I got a better headphone with $30 earpads and $8 headphones 
biggrin.gif

If I recall, speakers only get so good as the room acoustics; same can be applied to headphones too. So I thought, "hey I have all these earpads lying around, why not just try it on the ZX100's". To my surprise it somewhat worked, it was a fun experiment.

Sony had a really good formula with their old tech too. I'm not sure how long end the ZX500's are, but they're definitely enjoyable and not too boomy.

I found the stock T50RP's to be a bit bass light too, although I really heard the potential speed they could deliver before I decided to mod them.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #19 of 21
Well I got a better headphone with $30 earpads and $8 headphones :D

If I recall, speakers only get so good as the room acoustics; same can be applied to headphones too. So I thought, "hey I have all these earpads lying around, why not just try it on the ZX100's". To my surprise it somewhat worked, it was a fun experiment.

Sony had a really good formula with their old tech too. I'm not sure how long end the ZX500's are, but they're definitely enjoyable and not too boomy.

I found the stock T50RP's to be a bit bass light too, although I really heard the potential speed they could deliver before I decided to mod them.

Mine are very modded. Stock they are bass light, but mods bring that up to flat (meaning reference), or just a slight touch more (like I have mine) or Ermehgerd all DAT rumbly bass :wink:

Side note, my little sister came in when I was over there with some sony headphones I've never seen, look at them, they are zx-100s. I try them, and they blew the doors off my 300s. Clear, and WAY more balanced then my old 100s or my very bass heavy 300s (they said balanced sound on the box...heh)

I guess that's why they were on for so cheap, putting them on sale to make room for the new ones.

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #20 of 21
I'm buying shiny one too.....This one is cheap and got better sound compared average in this range of price.
Rather than closing it further, I opened it up. Some isolation issues most likely occurred.
So this is how I mod mine, step by step

1. Peel a layer of protecting foam

2. Here is the driver, by default. (notice a hole near driver's chip)

3. Add two holes on there and there (beware not to hurt driver's membrane inside)

4.  This is optional, open it up using 0.8 mm drill. 4 holes in about a circle with 1.75 cm radius.
(Still not the best configuration, but I hope you got the idea
biggrin.gif
)

The end product, will got better "clarity" and soundstaging. Still, the sub bass is unheard and a still got compressed mid....Maybe some recabling, new padding, and better driver's hole configuration will make it. But I just too lazy to prying it further
tongue.gif

* This is how the pad removed, for anyone who still wonder....
Pull it gently (from inside of the pad).

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #21 of 21
What I did was cut a quarter size hole in the ear pad so it opens up the driver more and it improves the mids and highs (basically better clarity) it still has the nice bass thumpin' sound. But mind you mying are burnt in had these sony mdr-zx100 zx (white) headphones for over 4~5 years. So they got their fair share of play and burnt in quality (the diaphragram driver has been "worn in" naturally from playing bass heavy and rock/metal heavy stuff even played binarual beats and produced music on them so they got good amplifcation of sound enough to almost tear it...) I didn't use a headphone amp. Anyways I recommend cutting a hole on ear pad the size of a quarter to get more clarity out of the drivers. It won't kill the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back