Modi 2 and 2U discontinued, Modi 3 now live.
Feb 6, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #47 of 77
Thinking about Modi 3 as maybe an upgrade from my Fiio X3ii. 2 cable questions:

RCA - Going from Modi 3 to Magni 3, I need a very short RCA to RCA, right? Shortest I can find is 1.5 feet...anyone have a better suggestion?

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-1-...403287&sr=1-3&keywords=rca+to+rca+cable+short

Or you could try getting custom cables from ghentaudio.com

2 RCA to 2 RCA custom length -> http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a01.html

Yes this cable is perfect for Fiio X3II Coax Digital out to Modi 3 Coax Digital In.
ghentaudio also has a cable for that, not sure if it will work with Fiio X3II -> http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/e06.html

I am using the the cables i suggested above.

Feb 28, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #48 of 77
With Modi 3 having the same DAC as the Bifrost. Can anyone compare the sound differences?

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #49 of 77
I'm floored by how good this is coming from Mimby. It's actually replacing my Mimby on the desktop. Cleaner in every regard. Not slightly either. $99 miracle.

edit: mids are recessed a bit. There's more low end than mimby.

edit 2: hmmm. maybe it's just badly mastered stuff mids sound recessed on. random access memories sounds fantastic. follow up: the new juno reactor stuff sounds fantastic too. It's just badly mastered stuff that sounds recessed.

Was the mimby fed via USB?

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #51 of 77
I had an opportunity to hear the Modi 3 side-by-side with a Modi Multibit this week (both PC -> EITR -> SPDIF to DAC. I was expecting to prefer the Mimby over the Modi 3. Instead I came away liking both. I had nowhere near enough time to make any meaningful comparison so I picked up a Modi 3 (I already have two EITR's - used deal too good to pass up).

I'm not really expecting to settle on one or the other. The Modi 3 is so inexpensive that I'm planning to keep it connected to the Saga as an alternate source to the Mimby. The two were different enough to justify it for the time being. It'll certainly give me plenty of time to compare them side-by-side.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #53 of 77
Very happy with the Modi 3 so far. I snagged it off along with a Vali off the B-stock page for a grand total of $188!

Fiio X5 mkII → Modi → Vali → HD600

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #54 of 77
Make sure that whoever you buy from, Modi 3 in my case, has a good returns policy. My optical port crumpled as I inserted the optical cable in for the first time. Now, some can accuse me of being rough, but I used optical ports for years, I still have my Apple TV 3rd gen, and it’s nearly 4 years old, and I’ve constantly unplugged and plugged that optical cable plenty of times. No breakages there. Neither the Australian retailer or Schiit was willing to help me out. So, I’m done with Schiit and that retailer.

Jun 13, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #55 of 77
Make sure that whoever you buy from, Modi 3 in my case, has a good returns policy. My optical port crumpled as I inserted the optical cable in for the first time. Now, some can accuse me of being rough, but I used optical ports for years, I still have my Apple TV 3rd gen, and it’s nearly 4 years old, and I’ve constantly unplugged and plugged that optical cable plenty of times. No breakages there. Neither the Australian retailer or Schiit was willing to help me out. So, I’m done with Schiit and that retailer.

Sorry you are having a rough go of it, Schiit has a 2 year warranty on it, and if you buy from them, a 15 day return window. I have used the warranty before and they took care of me. I will say I feel the 15 day return window is just OK be and could be better. 30,45,60 would be better imo. They should at least help out with warranty repair, unless there are details you haven't mentioned.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #56 of 77
Sorry you are having a rough go of it, Schiit has a 2 year warranty on it, and if you buy from them, a 15 day return window. I have used the warranty before and they took care of me. I will say I feel the 15 day return window is just OK be and could be better. 30,45,60 would be better imo. They should at least help out with warranty repair, unless there are details you haven't mentioned.

I had it for 10 minutes and the damn optical port exploded. That’s it. I know how to plug and unplug stuff. I’m 43 years old, and super careful with all my things.

The retailer - “warranty doesn’t cover breakages”

Schiit -

“..Hello,

I am sorry, but the retailers warranty is separate from ours. We can only offer to take a look at it here in Valencia. If you would like to send it in for repair, it will not be covered by any warranty. The following link is our repair form..”

So within a week I sold it, and took a loss. Seeya Schiit. I’m done.

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #57 of 77
1. I wasn't implying you don't know how to use a optical port.

2. That's sounds pretty crappy on the part of the retailer.
a. how does this retailer handle bad pots?
b. they say breakage, you and I say defective.
c. I'd raise more hell with the retailer.

3. Sounds like a bad deal with no good outcome for you or Schiit. Sounds like their retail partner out there is dropping the ball, which ultimately makes Schiit look bad. I would speculate that a Schiit factory warranty like we have in the US is hard to implement in a country where they aren't incorporated. They have to depend on their retail partner to uphold their name. Schiit also probably sells the item to the non US retailer at a price less then what I pay, and making the retailer responsible for the warranty would reduce their and ultimately your cost, not that that helps you here.

Bad luck, and a crappy deal. I feel for you..

You no longer have the item, so there's little anyone can do to help, but you could always message Jason, and politely advise him of your unhappiness with their retail partner. It won't help you, but it might save other Aussies from the unhappiness you are going through.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #58 of 77
So what does the retailer's warranty cover if not breakage?
I had to suck it up too - bought a used modi multi bit off the buy sell trade section here, and then sold it (only got a chance to listen to it for an hour and only casually) - seller noted a high pitched whine, which I confirmed on my fathers 2 channel system... Schitt repaired it, but now it cost me more than a modi multi bit new ($175+$135 for repairs)

I like schiits design philosophy and their products are pretty cool, but there's like one moving part on a dac, what is there to fail?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #59 of 77
Kind of OT, but I see Modi 2 Uber listed in their closeout deals for the exact same price as the Modi 3. Why would someone purchase a Modi 2 Uber for the same price as a brand new revision Modi 3 which has the same additional inputs as the Uber now? What am I missing?

LOL. What you're missing is the ilogic of the Schiitsers; for such experience they apparently have, the manner in which they conduct
business (arrogant and /indifferent) is invisible to them. They clearly don't "see" the illogical nature of this: selling (clear-out no less)
at the same price as newest/Modi-3 ??) Priceless.

Similar to when they introduced a new Shiggy-Yggy 'update' without informing customers until three-months after the fact. NIce !
Amateurish, bumbling self-professed digital "experts".

They have earned well-deserved niche market but are from a seasoned, professional organization. It wouldn't surprise me if the
'Moffster' came in (to work) in his underpants (with a scotch in his right hand) ! lol

pj

Aug 15, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #60 of 77
I have a pair of Edifier R2000DB speaker, can I use this since the speaker has a DAC inside>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back