Modi 2 and 2U discontinued, Modi 3 now live.
Sep 29, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #18 of 77
Sep 29, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #19 of 77
Here's my short 'n sweet Modi 3 review - -

Well, I've had the Modi 3 turned on and playing music continuously for the past few days and I think I have a pretty good handle on its sound. I evaluated it using mainly CDs, but I also used some Hi-Res and 320AAC files.

First, it runs cool as a cucumber, which is nice since many of Schiit's products run nearly burn-your-fingers hot. And everything works as advertised. No problems switching between inputs, although it does sometimes make a moderately loud 'pop' sound when switching between different resolutions, but this is a known issue with Schiit DACs. I also tried using it with my iPhone 8 and a Lightning-USB 3 Camera Adapter, and when the Modi 3's power supply was plugged into its power-only Micro USB input, it received the iPhone's signal and worked without any problems. And when I plugged in a Lightning cable (which was connected to a 5W AC charger) into the Camera Adapter, it allowed the iPhone to charge while playing music.

As for the sound, there really is a lot to like. When listening to it on its own, nothing seems out of place. Everything sounds very well balanced and there are no glaring additions or omissions going on. It has plenty of tangible resolution and just sounds really damn good. It's only when you directly compare it to a higher quality DAC, that its minor shortcomings become more noticeable. When compared to the Modi MB, it becomes obvious that it is not as resolving as it. The Modi MB is across-the-board more detailed sounding and has a more incisive sound signature than the Modi 3, and the better the recording, the better the Modi MB sounds when directly compared to the Modi 3. But the double-edge of the Modi MB (or any highly resolving DAC) is that when it is paired with an already incisive sounding amp and/or headphone, it can become too much of a good thing, and tip the overall SQ of the system towards an unenjoyable signature.

What I really like most about the Modi 3 is that it has enough audible resolution to be very satisfying, while not having so much resolution that it might push your system over the edge into detail overload. It's this 'just right' amount of resolution that makes the Modi 3 an excellent choice for someone who is just getting started. Also, I found that it pairs very well with the Magni 3 and the two have a real synergy that seems to amplify their strengths while minimizing their weaknesses. And for $200, this has to be the best bang-for-the-buck DAC/Amp combo on the planet right now!

So for $99 bucks, you get a genuine 'Made in the USA' DAC that offers switchable USB, Coax and Optical inputs, plays nice with an iPhone, and oh yeah, sounds great (and not just 'for the money'). I think that's about as good as it gets for the $$, folks! :L3000:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #20 of 77
At first I felt like a sucker for buying a Modi 3, since I already own a 2U, but now I'm glad I did. The 3 seems to be more detailed and balanced. The bass seems better, less one note. In spite of what Schiit has to say on the subject, I think it may be worth investing in a better power supply. So far, I've tried the stock PS, one from a Chromecast Audio, and a Apple 5W power adapter. I'll need to do more testing to be sure, but it seems like the Apple PS is the best, and the stock one is probably the worst. Also, I got a OTG cable to hook up my Google Pixel to the Modi 3, and it worked well. The sound quality wasn't ideal, but I don't think the Modi is to blame for that.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #21 of 77
At first I felt like a sucker for buying a Modi 3, since I already own a 2U, but now I'm glad I did. The 3 seems to be more detailed and balanced. The bass quality seems better, less one note. In spite of what Schiit has to say on the subject, I think it may be worth investing in a better power supply. So far, I've tried the stock PS, one from a Chromecast Audio, and a Apple 5W power adapter. I'll need to do more testing to be sure, but it seems like the Apple PS is the best, and the stock one is probably the worst. Also, I got a OTG cable to hook up my Google Pixel to the Modi 3, and it worked well. The sound quality wasn't ideal, but I don't think the Modi is to blame for that.

Schiit said the power still gets into a switcher inside the modi though, so unless you bypass certain internals a power supply shouldn't make any difference whatsoever.

Oct 1, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #22 of 77
Yes, wherever the power comes from, it's going to be processed by the the internal switcher. That's why it probably wouldn't make sense to get an expensive LPS. If you have some compatible power supplies lying around though, it won't hurt to try 'em. I find that it can affect the sound. Most people will want to just plug it in and forget about it though, I can understand that.

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #24 of 77
I'm possibly looking at this as a DAC to sit between my Chromecast Audio and my Onkyo A-9010 integrated amp (UK version with no DAC). Is this a reasonable idea? Currently I can only experience the CCA through its analogue output.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I'm not sure if the CCA's optical output is good enough to make it worthwhile though.

I have some Chromecast audios. I think the SQ of the analogue output is very mediocre. I much prefer using it's optical output into my older JVC and into my Modi Multibit.

I'll be buying a modi 3 shortly.

Thanks for the comparison to the modi multibit.

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #25 of 77
I currently run USB from my laptop (playing lossless or better files) to my FiiO X2 Second Gen as a DAC and then into a Magni 3. Would I even notice a sound difference if I got the Modi 3? Thanks in advance.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #26 of 77
I currently run USB from my laptop (playing lossless or better files) to my FiiO X2 Second Gen as a DAC and then into a Magni 3. Would I even notice a sound difference if I got the Modi 3? Thanks in advance.

Hard to say. Their return policy would let you buy and try it. If you didn't like it you wouldn't be out much on the return.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #27 of 77
Schiit distributor in the UK was showing stock availability today (12 Oct) ... and I was looking forward to ordering .... but that has now been replaced by a more uncommitted 'Out of Stock' message on their website.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #28 of 77
Schiit distributor in the UK was showing stock availability today (12 Oct) ... and I was looking forward to ordering .... but that has now been replaced by a more uncommitted 'Out of Stock' message on their website.
Hmm, yeah that is disappointing also.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #29 of 77
I suppose they may have had stock and immediately sold out ... and I was a bit too slow !!

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #30 of 77
Kind of OT, but I see Modi 2 Uber listed in their closeout deals for the exact same price as the Modi 3. Why would someone purchase a Modi 2 Uber for the same price as a brand new revision Modi 3 which has the same additional inputs as the Uber now? What am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back