Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Jul 16, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #31 of 1,323
Would a Schiit Jotunheim be enough to drive these? I ordered mine with the balanced mod. Balanced Headphone Output: Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 3000mW RMS per channel via Jotunheim. I don't think it's class A though. Been thinking about an Emotiva BASX A-100. Would that be a better choice?

The Jotunheim has more than enough power for this. Not sure which of those amps is better, don't know much about the Emotiva other than it's a mini speaker amp with a fan.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #33 of 1,323
I haven't received mine yet, but I would say make sure you are first happy with the sound of the TX0RP Mk3 with whatever setup you have to drive them. I was thinking of selling off my T40RP's because they really weren't that special sounding (preferred the SHP9500's). Then I finally tried them on my newer dynamic rig and they just about floored me right of the bat from that system...
They need power and warmth - the more watts the better, close to 3 Watts @ 50 ohms rating with a warm leaning Class A amp and you will be more than good. They will open up and really come alive, with subbass rivaling a modded TH-X00PH.
I have a Magni 3 to power them with ZERO intention of getting another amp...it's my impression the Magni will do the job....I'm frugal, I'm not trying to drop a ton of money on amps and headphones chasing a 10% increase in quality of sound, I feel like if the Magni can't power it, it's probably not the right headphone for me.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #34 of 1,323
I recently picked up a set of T20RP MK2 for $40 with the intention of sending them off to Modhouse...can y'all give me any advice, what should I expect, how can I maximize my experience?

For sure get the deerskin strap and ZMF lambskins. I had a MK2 converted and it's great.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #35 of 1,323
I have a Magni 3 to power them with ZERO intention of getting another amp...it's my impression the Magni will do the job....I'm frugal, I'm not trying to drop a ton of money on amps and headphones chasing a 10% increase in quality of sound, I feel like if the Magni can't power it, it's probably not the right headphone for me.

Definitely try them out on the Magni 3 before sending them in... you'll know it will work for you. My previous setup with more than Magni 3 level of power didn't work for me, but it was also neutral and sterile sounding - Schiit Bifrost and Meier Audio JAZZ-ff amp.) Found Schiit DACs and amps are not my preference, and neither are highly regarded and detailed neutral amps (like the JAZZ-ff).

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #36 of 1,323

The FX-Audio DAC-X6 in high gain mode handled them with ease as in silly loud. So yours is about twice that being 2000mW @32ohms.
The DAC-X6 is not bad after an opamp upgrade.

I have an xDuoo that is 2100mW @32ohm and that pairs well.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #37 of 1,323
Definitely try them out on the Magni 3 before sending them in... you'll know it will work for you. My previous setup with more than Magni 3 level of power didn't work for me, but it was also neutral and sterile sounding - Schiit Bifrost and Meier Audio JAZZ-ff amp.) Found Schiit DACs and amps are not my preference, and neither are highly regarded and detailed neutral amps (like the JAZZ-ff).
I hear what you are saying...but a I prefer brighter/ neutral sounds...the Argon is kind of 'dark' for my tastes (from what I have read) so the pairing of a dry/bright/neutral amp should work for me...

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #38 of 1,323
Definitely try them out on the Magni 3 before sending them in... ).
I will for sure be doing that...I'll also do my own mods to see if I can achieve a sound i like...I've been modding cans for a few years now, but I don't have a good handle on how to mod a headphone to make it closed, yet have insane soundstage...which the argon seems to do.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #39 of 1,323
For sure get the deerskin strap and ZMF lambskins. I had a MK2 converted and it's great.
I'm undecided on the ZMF pads...I have a bunch of pads to try out already, so I am going to wait on the ZMF ($50 is relatively expensive) and I am going to get a strap from a local leather shop...I can get a strap for cheap if not free....I'm trying to build the best possible end game cans for the least amount of money.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #40 of 1,323
I will for sure be doing that...I'll also do my own mods to see if I can achieve a sound i like...I've been modding cans for a few years now, but I don't have a good handle on how to mod a headphone to make it closed, yet have insane soundstage...which the argon seems to do.

Yeah, the bass and large soundstage of the Argons are my main reason for sending in my T40RPs... the combination of the two will be unlike anything else I have. Bass will be right there with my modded TH-X00PHs yet with a LARGE soundstage, most likely as large and even wider than my STAX Lambdas...very unique headphone that I want to experience and based off the stock T50RP should like very much.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #41 of 1,323
I'm undecided on the ZMF pads...I have a bunch of pads to try out already, so I am going to wait on the ZMF ($50 is relatively expensive) and I am going to get a strap from a local leather shop...I can get a strap for cheap if not free....I'm trying to build the best possible end game cans for the least amount of money.

The MK2 is tuned around the ZMF lambskins, it will sound best with them. I have used it with Eikon pads and that is good too. The pads really change it.

The deerskin strap will make it the most comfortable headphone ever.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #42 of 1,323
Yes, I'm hoping the Jotunheim will be a good pairing. The Emotiva BasX A-100 can be changed into high output mode.
Power Output (headphone output; direct drive mode)
(requires internal jumper; USE WITH CAUTION):
8 Ohms: 50 watts / channel
33 Ohms: 12 watts / channel
47 Ohms: 8.5 watts / channel
150 Ohms: 2.6 watts / channel
300 Ohms: 1.3 watts / channel
600 Ohms: 0.6 watts / channel
So, this thing would def. have more power if needed. I just don't know how much I can actually

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #43 of 1,323
The MK2 is tuned around the ZMF lambskins, it will sound best with them. I have used it with Eikon pads and that is good too. The pads really change it.

The deerskin strap will make it the most comfortable headphone ever.
I am a believer in pad rolling...I know pads can make the headphone...I just want to see if what i have already will work

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #45 of 1,323
Are they t20 mk2 or t20v2? Big difference as they use completely different magnet arrays, but Ryan can mod either
T20 MK2. I bought them with the intention of sending them to Modhouse. They were cheaper than the MK3 and cheaper to have them modded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back