Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Apr 3, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #511 of 1,323
Yes, generally users love their Argons...those that sell them off, it's not because the Argons are bad, it's just not for them.
I can't speak to the clamp personally...my head isn't terribly large, so I find them extremely comfortable, but others may differ.
as far as durability, they are workhorses. The design is tried and true and I haven't heard any stories of them having stress fractures or wiring issues. The Fostex headphones that the Argons are based off of are famously durable.
Good intel. Thanks @Cruelhand Luke . I understand the specs, Modhouse uses the 'pro' version of the headphones, not the 'consumer' version, right? So, replacement parts are available. The Argons look gloriously chunky. I'm certain my Vali2 or Magni3 (similar to @MattAsAHatter 's Atom) will drive them without issue. Thanks eh.

Apr 3, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #512 of 1,323
Good intel. Thanks @Cruelhand Luke . I understand the specs, Modhouse uses the 'pro' version of the headphones, not the 'consumer' version, right? So, replacement parts are available. The Argons look gloriously chunky. I'm certain my Vali2 or Magni3 (similar to @MattAsAHatter 's Atom) will drive them without issue. Thanks eh.

I lend all of my headphones to a music loving co-worker and when he first tried to run the Argons off of his phone he thought I was crazy for raving about them. Then he put them on his Magni3 and revealed their glory.

Apr 3, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #513 of 1,323
I lend all of my headphones to a music loving co-worker and when he first tried to run the Argons off of his phone he thought I was crazy for raving about them. Then he put them on his Magni3 and revealed their glory.
Do you have any idea what the average phone puts out in terms of wattage?

My DAP puts out 750 mW at 32 ohms... wondering if this output will drive the Argons (50 ohms) to a satisfactory level...
has to be way better than a phone output no?

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #515 of 1,323
Do you have any idea what the average phone puts out in terms of wattage?

My DAP puts out 750 mW at 32 ohms... wondering if this output will drive the Argons (50 ohms) to a satisfactory level...
has to be way better than a phone output no?

I don't but it's generally advised to get an amp or dac/amp with most phones. I tried to find the S9+ just now but a quick effort produced no fruit.

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #516 of 1,323
how do tube amps sound with the argon compared to solid state amp

no a good match, it seems to do the opposite of what it does to my 58x. you lose alot of base which turns into more of a distortion. I wont run any of my planars through the darkvoice. They all sound amazing through the emotiva and liquid spark.

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #517 of 1,323
Well, after persevering with them and desperately wanting to like them after the long wait to get them...I'm gonna have to let them go. The headphones themselves would be great for those who get on with the sound signature. I would have sworn they were my perfect headphones from the reviews but my tastes have changed over the years. Expensive way to find out but such is the way with this hobby. Will stick them on ebay or the sale forum here over the weekend.

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #518 of 1,323
Well, after persevering with them and desperately wanting to like them after the long wait to get them...I'm gonna have to let them go. The headphones themselves would be great for those who get on with the sound signature. I would have sworn they were my perfect headphones from the reviews but my tastes have changed over the years. Expensive way to find out but such is the way with this hobby. Will stick them on ebay or the sale forum here over the weekend.
Tough way to find out you don't like something after 9 weeks.. How would you describe the sound in your own words?

Mine are 6 weeks out and I don't have much experience with nice headphones so probably gonna like them regardless. Excited

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #519 of 1,323
Alright, @MattAsAHatter ... here's a (sincerely serious) question for you: what aspects of the Fostex RP series make them so modifiable? Is Fostex like Sony (that made my MDR7510)... they release a service manual and have replacement parts (that a studio roadie could use with a soldering iron & a work-bench)? Or is there a great deal of space within its housing that allows all kinds of tinkering? I'd welcome different answers from the community, eh. Why does the Argon Mk3 turn your crank? :ksc75smile:

I find it interesting that as I delve deeper into headphones and headphone-centric amplifiers, tone-control, USB/SPIDIF converters, and gadgets... my local Best Buy, Canada Computers, or Long & McQuaid (instrument dealer) becomes less useful.

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #520 of 1,323
no a good match, it seems to do the opposite of what it does to my 58x. you lose alot of base which turns into more of a distortion. I wont run any of my planars through the darkvoice. They all sound amazing through the emotiva and liquid spark.
Interesting observation, @Shroomalistic . If I eventually decide on picking an Argon up, it'll be relegated to my solid-state Magni3. BTW, there is a lead-time right? I order it. Pay for it. And wait for it. ~4-8 weeks? Or more?

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #522 of 1,323
8-9 weeks at present. 2-3 left for me!
Righto. Reminds me of the cliche: I can have IT... good... cheap(er)... fast. I only can choose 2 options, eh. :ksc75smile:

Apr 3, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #523 of 1,323
Apr 3, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #524 of 1,323
Interesting observation, @Shroomalistic . If I eventually decide on picking an Argon up, it'll be relegated to my solid-state Magni3. BTW, there is a lead-time right? I order it. Pay for it. And wait for it. ~4-8 weeks? Or more?
I think there is going to be a 'like new' set available in the classifieds soon...
"Well, after persevering with them and desperately wanting to like them after the long wait to get them...I'm gonna have to let them go. The headphones themselves would be great for those who get on with the sound signature. I would have sworn they were my perfect headphones from the reviews but my tastes have changed over the years. Expensive way to find out but such is the way with this hobby. Will stick them on ebay or the sale forum here over the weekend."
you should holla at @bigtim

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #525 of 1,323
Thank you for the insight. I had been waiting and trying to find everywhere if the argon mk3 would pair with tubes . Well atleast I got a amp that could power it now , THX 789 AMP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back