Modern PCDP with best optical out?
Mar 1, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 14

davei

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 1, 2001
Posts
620
Likes
0
If you can accept that all optical outs sound the same, you're basically limited to either a Sony (which doesn't work with MP3s, only audio CDs) or an iRiver (not made anymore).
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 14

adam917

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 13, 2005
Posts
252
Likes
0
You don't need digital-out when playing MP3s simply because at least 75 % of the fidelity is lost anyway. No point in digital-out with MP3s. Plus, it would involve two-way conversion with no real gain.
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 14

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2003
Posts
9,559
Likes
31
Quote:

Originally Posted by adam917
You don't need digital-out when playing MP3s simply because at least 75 % of the fidelity is lost anyway. No point in digital-out with MP3s. Plus, it would involve two-way conversion with no real gain.


I disagree, digital out to an external DAC could still improve sound quality even with MP3s IMO. Not sure I'd be that picky which one though, as long as it does in fact have a digital out.
 
Mar 1, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 14

davei

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 1, 2001
Posts
620
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I disagree, digital out to an external DAC could still improve sound quality even with MP3s IMO. Not sure I'd be that picky which one though, as long as it does in fact have a digital out.


To my ears, classical and opera MP3s sound noticeably better even with a cheap M-Audio USB Transit than the stock out on my iBook, even when using the same headphone amp. Rock, alt, indie stuff, not as much of a difference.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 14

Ketut

New Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 31, 2005
Posts
49
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by davei
If you can accept that all optical outs sound the same, you're basically limited to either a Sony (which doesn't work with MP3s, only audio CDs) or an iRiver (not made anymore).


Can you please specify which Sony PCDP model has optical line out? And does it bypass the internal DAC and amp?

Thanks
Ketut
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 14

davei

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 1, 2001
Posts
620
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketut
Can you please specify which Sony PCDP model has optical line out? And does it bypass the internal DAC and amp?


Lots of them do - usually it's one or two of the highest models offered each year. Same with the Japanese model Panasonic PCDPs. The interface on recent Panasonic PCDPs is horrible though so I'd stay away.

This year's models are listed here for the US:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...man&Dept=audio

My D-NE9 is 3 or 4 years old, optical out still works and sounds great. I know the D-NE900 and D-NE920 also have optical out.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 14

nikongod

DIY-ku
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Posts
8,882
Likes
124
i agree that it is a worthwhile effort with an mp3 player, if you have the blingage for an external dac.

the onboard dacs on nearly all portable mp3 players are nearly as worthless as propriatary music comporession formats. still not that worthless, but close.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 14

terrymx

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 24, 2003
Posts
4,759
Likes
12
the iriver imp550 have optical out discotinued. the iriver ihp120, which is a hd player, have optical out, discontinued.

i have a sony dne1 but its optical out dont work with mp3, discontinued. the current sony flag ship is sony dne20, maybe you can find out about if it supoprt mp3 for optical out. also i think dne10.

one of the best mordern cd player is sony dej2000 but only play cd, discontinued.

as far as bypassing eq crap, i really hope they all do. maybe others can clarify.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 14

nikongod

DIY-ku
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Posts
8,882
Likes
124
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
as far as bypassing eq crap, i really hope they all do. maybe others can clarify.


my sony cd player with optica out bypasses the "digital filtering"

i think that my iriver does it too, certanly in rockbox...

ooh, my archos av-3100 also bypasses the digital "enhancements" too. this is on spdif, not optical, but still digital.
 
Mar 3, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 14

drp

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 24, 2003
Posts
698
Likes
10
While in a Sony Outlet store about 3 months ago, I saw a DNE900 for $80.00. Limitation is that you cannot use the remote and the optical out at the same time. I also saw the DNE10 for $150.00. Same limitation on using the Optical and remote at the same time. I'm assuming that you'll want to throw it in a bag with an amp and the DAC.

Your best bet is to find an older D-EJ series, as they have a optical/line out jack and a headphone/remote jack. I have a D-EJ2000 that sounds great, but for my home DAC, I use a D-EJ725; cable routing while sitting on my Mini-DAC is better. Digital out on both seem bit-perfect, which is what matters...
 
Mar 3, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #13 of 14

MKAL

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Posts
308
Likes
10
Thanks for all your replies. The reason I asked is because I heard the MicroDac is not one that resamples to eliminates jitter. What do you call that again? Thus I thought PCDPs with better optical outs might improve sound. Would this be the case, or would jitter not be an issue anyway?
 
Mar 3, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 14

audiosceptic

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 20, 2003
Posts
280
Likes
14
I won a Coby DVD7050 portable DVD player and was surprised to find a coaxial digital out via a mini connector. I had trouble finding a cable that would work but a trip to ratshack produced some RCA to mini adapters that will due until I find a mini to mini digital cable. I am pleasently surprized by the sound and can't tell the difference between the Coby or my reference Marantz DV-18 MK II connected to my DAC.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top