modding v500s
Jun 3, 2005 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

xstephanx

Head-Fier
well my friend is stuck with some v500s unfortunately, but doesnt have money to get new cans yet, so hes been trying mod after mod. They are getting closer and closer to decent sounding, after a blu-tak mod the bass has tightened up, the midrange has smoothened (less cabinet resonance) and bass has lost some of its midbass hump (not to mention more low end extension). Anyway now that bass and mids are pretty much covered, the treble needs some working on. hes removed the half a centimeter(what was sony thinking) of dense foam between the driver and the ear, and that helped, but theres still something lacking.

I had an idea to cut a hole about the size of a nickel in the plastic driver grill, and covering that with a THIN layer of cloth(to prevent stuff from getting in there)

anything else to increse the treble?

Jun 3, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 6
Yeah try and remove as much material (foam, fabric, plastic grill material) thats between the ear and the driver.

I have no way of proving this but IMHO removing a small circular area of material form the center of the driver seems to produce more treble while leaving the remainder of the spectrum, somewhat unaltered.

IMHO you might want to perforate the earcup (vent the can). That would negate any isolation though. But from what I have found with small enclosure earcups (MDRV6) is the cup exagerates mids and colors them artifically, so they overwhelm adjacent treble sounds.

Switching my V6 drivers into a much larger HP2000 earcup was night and day difference... man where'd the characteristic V6 midrange snarl go?

cant think of anything else... short of a driver transplant.

If you can post some pics of the inside of that can I might be able to help further.

Garrett

Jun 3, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 6
Get KSC50s or KSC75s for now: they're only $15. Maybe use the KSC driver with the V500 casing...kramer5150 could probably tell you more (was it him that put ksc50 drivers into a V6?)

Jun 3, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Get KSC50s or KSC75s for now: they're only $15. Maybe use the KSC driver with the V500 casing...kramer5150 could probably tell you more (was it him that put ksc50 drivers into a V6?)

Yeah that was me... but Ive since taken them out since the under-sized V6 earcup turns them into a middy-muddy mess.. no bass. Theyre going into a heavily perforated MDRV200 as I type this (im sitting here waiting for my glue gun to heat up)....

Garrett

Jun 3, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 6
I suggest the Garbage Can mod for the V500, followed closely by the Purchase KSC-75 mod, which should run you under $20. Great, cheap little mod, and it will get those KSC... I mean V500's sounding really good!

Jun 3, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
I suggest the Garbage Can mod for the V500, followed closely by the Purchase KSC-75 mod, which should run you under $20. Great, cheap little mod, and it will get those KSC... I mean V500's sounding really good!

Yeah... $15 for KSC75s... pull the drivers and transplant them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back