Modding the Xonar Essence STX into a Essence ST?
Sep 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jalyst

500+ Head-Fier
Would this be technically feasible with a bit of soldering prowess?
Has anyone heard of anyone doing this?

Sick of waiting for ST to become available in Australia!

Cheers

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 13
I'm sure Google can help you find a company that will ship to Oz. I have a similar problem in that I live in SA, but it can be done. We have a shop called 'Want it All' that imports from Amazon, for instance. I think that the RMA-PIA will be much more of a PIA if you try to RMA a Frankenstein'd card lol
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 13
Oh of course, I wouldn't even bother RMA'ing if I did the Frankenstein thing.
I've always found importing stuff from OS to be tedious at best & arse-reaming at worst.

I'm not aware of a similar store in Oz that imports from Amazon for you....
I'm just going to get the hdav1.3 deluxe, don't have time to frack around with Frankenstein cards or OS importers.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 13
Ah, I suffer too much from buyer's remorse to do stuff like that, but good luck to ya!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 13
Yeah I'd like to investigate modding further but time is simply too precious, so I'll just get the hdav1.3 deluxe.

I know there's no comparison "analog-wise" which is irritating, but such is life...

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 13
I assume you don't mean changing a PCI-e card into PCI right ?

If you are super cool with electronics, you MIGHT be able to add the CS2000 chip - the ST has this but the STX doesn't, however, the STX actually has an unpopulated space for it (U36). Heaven only knows if it would work though. What would be all but impossible to do would be to add the extension board headers and connections.

So, no chance of converting one to the other in the real world.

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 13
Well, adapter cards do exist but they are most definitely not cheap since they're targeted at the server market. Directly soldering the board to become a PCI card is nearly impossible due to electrical and physical form factor differences so while it's a nice thought, it won't be possible unfortunately
frown.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I'm just resigned to having to import the ST from overseas...

Patience is a virtue, I think it will pay off
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back