Modding the Sennheiser HD201
Jun 19, 2005 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

zachary

New Head-Fier
Hi, I ordered 2 pairs of the hd201. One I would like to keep normal and the other I got to experiment with. What mod do you think would help this headphone? Should I cut a hole out of the back
blink.gif
? What about taking out the soft black stuff in the center (which I read here that people do and they say it makes the sound cleaner)? Also, is there any way to increase the bass? Let me know if you have tried anything, or if you have an idea.

Thanks,

Zach

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 18
To really bring out the most from the HD201, you really need to drive them balanced.

I'd recommend a DIY Cardas XLR and a headphile woody mod from xanadu.

Spare no expense on these headphones; they deserve it more than any sennheiser headphone.
very_evil_smiley.gif

-Matt

Jun 19, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 18
Canare star quad recable perhaps?... at $.30 a foot it wont set you back that much. Ive found that tends to increase sub-bass and fill in midrange recessoin.

take the earcups apart, add / remove damping material. If theres a mesh screen in front of the drivers cut holes out of it to increase treble and clarity. I wouldnt drill holes into the earcup, unless theres some midrange exageration around 3khz youre trying to tame.

Spend some time breaking them in and getting used to their sound first to fully understand their shortcomings before breaking out the dremel.

Garrett

Jun 20, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 18
No, the whole point of modding is to see how good I can make these cheap cans sound. It's an experiment. I wouldn't drill holes or screw with a $150 headphone (too expensive for me to mess with).
Garrett, where can I get that canare star quad cable? and how do I recable it? I would like to recable anyways cuz 10 feet is verrry looongg. You say "add/remove damping material", which one will increase bass, adding or removing? Also, one thing I noticed is that the upper midrgange can be very harsh. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Any more ideas?

Zach

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 18
im wrong but i think adding will maybe increase bass but muddy the highs.

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 18
I dont think you can make such assumptions.

Sound is something that is affected by the smallest variables, thus "experimenting" is the only way.

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary
No, the whole point of modding is to see how good I can make these cheap cans sound. It's an experiment. I wouldn't drill holes or screw with a $150 headphone (too expensive for me to mess with).
Garrett, where can I get that canare star quad cable? and how do I recable it? I would like to recable anyways cuz 10 feet is verrry looongg. You say "add/remove damping material", which one will increase bass, adding or removing? Also, one thing I noticed is that the upper midrgange can be very harsh. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Any more ideas?

Was it Jahn who said, "buy low, mod high?"

Anyway, I'd go for a recable, for sure. Damping material, such as blue tack, would remedy resonance related distortion. I don't know how easy it is to open the backs of the HD201, though.

I wouldn't mess with the foam covering the driver. Removing it might make them sound more "open," but it will reduce bass impact.

-Matt

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 18
IMHO adding damping material (cotton, pillow stuffing, foam...) decreases bass amplitude but increases extension. You need to find that happy medium.

experiment with the earpad cushions... raising the drivers out away from the ears increases treble but decreases bass and sometimes mids. Moving the driver closer to the ear increases bass and midrange.

I agree... buy low & mod high...
biggrin.gif

Im pretty sure I got mine here...
http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp...&search=0&off=

Garrett

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #11 of 18
eggosmile.gif
Hey,

I finally received my Canare Quad Cable!
Now comes the next step -- modding them.

How do I take out the cord that is in there now?

Also, The new cable is thicker than the old one, how will it fit and solder properly in place?

Also, the old cord is like two skinny ones atttached that separate as they come to the "Y". The new cable is just a single fat one, how am I going to attach it to both sides of the headphone (L&R)?

This is all beside the point that I have never done anything like this before and dont even have a soldering iron, which I guess I will have to buy, so I need recommendations on that, too.

HElp!!
confused.gif
k1000smile.gif
icon10.gif

Z

Jul 5, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
Check out my thread on how to rewire the HD201, i think it should answer most of your questions: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125883 . You will have to split the cable at some point, then twist the two wires together for each side and use 1/4" heatshrink to make them pretty.
tongue.gif

Taking a real close look at my phones, i think the one sided cable mod is doable, but it'd be VERY hack-y. It'd require some balls and some cutting of plastic, but if you are GOOD at that sort of thing, i think it wouldn't be a big issue.

Jul 7, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #15 of 18
thanks hiflyin9 for that link. very detailed!

I dont have a solder yet, whats a good one to buy for this that's cheap?
Also, the cable I have has 4 strands/cables inside, how do I know which ones to attach to Left and which ones go right???? Also, I would like to add a few holes in the grill, can I use a hand drill? I dont have a dremel.

peace

Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back