Modding PCDP
Nov 1, 2002 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
I read on fix-up's site that he modded his sony pcdp to make it sound better. Have any of you guys tried this? It sounds like an interesting idea for people who want better sound without a portable amp.

Biggie.

Nov 1, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Nov 2, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 7
That all makes sense. He basically just changed out the coupling caps to a bigger value, which will improve the bass. If you go with better caps like blackgates, oscons or cerafines, you should get an improvment in fidelity across the band, but it may not be a dramatic differance. The hard part is making sure that they will fit, as there isn't much room in there. Another possible option is to remove the coupling caps completely, providing they aren't required for blocking dc voltage. They may not be removeable in all cases. He also upgraded the power supply caps with bigger caps. I have done similer mods to a pocket radio, but havent got into my portable cd player yet.

Nov 3, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 7
hey budgey....

do you think that changing the caps on the d-25s will improve the bass of the player....i thing the d-25s with better bass would be the a very hard to beat player.....

i opened mine to look and i found two tiny nichicon 100uf 6.3v close to the headphone out...they are about 5x5mm and i thought maybe change them with bigger b.gates pk....but im not sure what values to use...

Nov 3, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 7
Well… I am very a impatient person …..as you can see I couldn’t resist the idea of changing the caps to see if it will improve the bass…

Since I wanted to get the “bigger the better” cap to fit in the player I decided to use the battery compartment and using a socket and a wire I placed the caps without a problem Now I also can do some “cap rolling” to see if I can notice any improvement by exchanging the caps...

I will try different sizes and I will try to review the differences.. the old ones are the tiny 100uf 6.3 the new ones are 1000uf 35V !!!!!! hehehe…I have to go and do some more listening I will review as soon I can.

One more thing..it was very easy and cheap (4$ at the most…)

To see some pics go to http://www.picturetrail.com/ and enter mekanoplastik as the member name…..

Nov 3, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 7
mekanoplastik,

Nice work!

It's good use of the battery compartment.

A small .01-.1uf film cap might help smooth out the response.

Could you tell what opamps were in the d-25?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back