Modding Ipod Video 5/5.5g to SSD
Aug 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Freeze

500+ Head-Fier
So I've seen the 1.8" ZIF connection SSD drives and found out they work in the ipod video's and you only need the thickness of the 30GB model. What im struggling with is if its really worth 600 dollars for a 256gb SSD vs 300 dollars for a 240GB HDD

Is there any actual tests where some 1 took 2 identical ipods one with hdd one with ssd and actually proved speed increases and battery increases? Are the increases it gains in those areas 300 dollars worth of gains?

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 8
I'd personally only do this with my iPod classic now,...but I'm not sure if there's a compatible ssd available. Plus, I want the price to drop to about $200 for a 256gb ssd - then I might experiment a bit.

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 8
but the ipod classic has a lower quality dac according to many anyways....i guess u could always use the AR solo and use an external dac i like the imod tho less stuff to carry around. but yea what are the raw numbers how much faster is ssd how much longer battery life?

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 8
The Cirrus Logic chip is actually better than the Wolfson, and it's more a fanboi myth that the Wolfson is better. Besides, I'll eventually get RB initiated on it (iPod classic) and have the EXACT player I'm looking for. I prefer HP out, not LOD - so both are good. The 5.5G has RB in a better state, but my classic will be fine soon enough. The SQ on the classic is crystal clear w/my cans - quite analytical, I like it. My iPhone 4 IS BETTER - especially w/the EQu & Equalizer apps - but my classic is quite solid in it's performance. 

Or, with a small miracle, Sony will give us here in the states the 64gb A Series - I don't plan on waiting tho, as Sony ALWAYS lets us down here in the USA.

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
cant upgrade 6th or 7th gen classics to 240GB HDD or 256GB ssd

Really? Is there a link I can be given to see the info on this??? 
popcorn.gif

Aug 7, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 8
Then that doesn't mean it can't be done, it means no one has bothered to do it. When the price of an ssd in the capacity I desire becomes more affordable I'll find the proper connection & mod my classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back