Modding cheapies
Oct 13, 2009 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

philip1

Head-Fier
A few weeks back I picked up a set of cheap isolation phones. the sound was well rather bad. Weak bass and nasal mids.

I took them apart and found a driver from what looks like an open phone, but it was glued into a closed cup, no wonder everything sounded nasal.

The first thing I did was remove the plastic cover on the driver itself. then I sealed it completely to the earpad/ driver holders. finally I cut 10 1/8" holes in the cup. This woke up the bass and made the mids brighter and mellow. I did sacrifice isolation but the price was worth it for improved sound.

I'll take pics in the morning

next mod to these will be some different damping inside the cups

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 2
as promised her are photos of the mods

DSC_2225.jpg

I did cut the foam this helped brighten the midrange but made the Bass have a tiny bit of echo. I'll be adding some Dynamat to the cups to kill that.

DSC_2226.jpg

The holes I drilled in the cup were trial and error. I started with one and added holes till the bass didn't sound strangled. So far I have almost $60 in these headphones and 59 of that was buying them. if I ruin them NBD they are dirt cheap and I get to learn how Phones work acoustically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back