Modding a Go-Vibe
Jun 19, 2005 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cmirza

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been thinking of doing some mods to my Go-Vibe. I already had my Go-Vibe wired with a DC input. I've read that the old Home-Vibe (which from what I understand is just like the Go-Vibe with a DC jack) had the option of dual OPA627/637 op-amps. I was thinking of getting the dual OPA237 op-amps and an Elpac 24V power supply to help power it. Another thought I had was transfering the internals of the amp into an aluminum Hammond enclosure. Any one have any thoughts on this? I plan on keeping the Go-Vibe for a while, until I can move up to a Gilmore Lite probably.

Jun 19, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 4
1. yes, it's possible to use a single->dual opamp adapter (browndog eg). be careful to choose the right one (there are versions for soic and dip - most likely you'll need dip). tangent sells some adapters. note: opa 637 needs at least gain 6, better gain 8 to work flawless. opa 627 (being unity gain stable) works with every gain.

2. no problem to transfer the unit into a bigger aluminium enclosure. but you could get some grounding-problems, if you use all the parts that the go-vibe is equipped with in its plastic case, namly:
- use an insulated DC-jack
- insulate the input (rca vs 1/8"?) or use insulated jacks
- insulate the output (1/4" vs 1/8") or use insulated jacks
- the pot should be groundet but otherwise insulated, too

if your enclosure is big enough and portability is not your main goal, you could integrate a basic DC-rectification-/smoothing-/regulation-unit like the velleman k1823 (ok) or tangent's TREAD (better). this would allow to use cheaper unregulated DC- or even AC-wallwarts, still get better DC-quality compared to most commercial solutions (s. http://tangentsoft.net/elec/psu-tests/)

Jun 19, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza
I've been thinking of doing some mods to my Go-Vibe. I already had my Go-Vibe wired with a DC input. I've read that the old Home-Vibe (which from what I understand is just like the Go-Vibe with a DC jack) had the option of dual OPA627/637 op-amps. I was thinking of getting the dual OPA237 op-amps and an Elpac 24V power supply to help power it. Another thought I had was transfering the internals of the amp into an aluminum Hammond enclosure. Any one have any thoughts on this? I plan on keeping the Go-Vibe for a while, until I can move up to a Gilmore Lite probably.

I respect the opinion of the many Gilmore Lite owners who rave about this amp, but have you auditioned one? After you modify your Go-Vibe, I would be curious as to how it compares and whether it necessarily represents a "move up". In any case, take some time to enjoy your Go-Vibe with some good music. If you do modify, post your impressions as it would be interesting to hear how far the Go-Vibe design can be pushed. Given just the opamp rolling capability alone, you have an amp that should get a lot of mileage and provide much enjoyment. This hobby in infectious, I know. Don't get so caught up in the upgrade potential that you forget what these amps are really intended for.

Jun 19, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 4
What I really wanted was a Home-Vibe amp. Something for stationary use at my PC. Since the Home-Vibe isn't made anymore, and since the Home-Vibe and Go-Vibe are so simmilar, I figured I could just mod up the Go-Vibe to the Home-Vibe's specs. I think I'll start with dual OPA627 on a dogbrown adapter and an Elpac 24V power supply. I have zero experience with enclosure building, so I'll either put that one off for a while or maybe find someone who knows what they're doing fix one up for me.
As far as the Gilmore Lite, I don't plan on buying one of those for at least a year. And the only reason I'd get one is if I upgrade my headphones to something that would benefit from a Gilmore Lite, like HD600s or MS-2is. After burning in the amp for just 24 hours, I'm pretty happy with it and my MS-1s and HD555s. So I'm in no rush for new equipment...yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back