Modded K26P – much better sound
Sep 2, 2005 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

arisen

Head-Fier
After I burned them in for 60 hours or so, I was still not very happy with my K26P; too much flabby bass and honky mids, but I was feeling the drivers had potential, so I opened them up and tried the mod bellow:

Their signature has shifted up significantly, but they still have very good bass extension; (better then the PortaPro’s I A/B’d them with). The bass has been tamed and tighten. The mids have also cleaned up a lot they are still a bit honky and pronounced but it’s to be expected, I guess, from closed cans. Nothing that can’t be fixed with a bit of EQ though.

Compared to the PortaPro, they have slightly less bass and less impact, but more extension, more forward and slightly mudded mids, but higher reaching and cleaner treble.

Modded, they do sound a lot better overall. I guess I’ll experiment with more or less filling material later, but I’m happy for now, they’re definitely a keeper.

Sep 2, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 10
So who's going to be the first to recable them as well?

Sep 2, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 10
Perhaps I'll send mine over to Larry at headphile to woody/recable
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Thickie question: How do you open these up?

same question here
confused.gif
, I didn't see any screws.

Sep 2, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

How do you open these up?

They simply pry out, like a round can of mints. There is no release mechanism or anything. It can be done by hand by pushing up with your thumb. If you do it for the first time tho it’s better to use a small flat screwdriver to help prying it. Just test by hand and see which portion is most like to give in first (on mine the bottom close to the wire inserts) and start from there, insert the screwdriver and pry gently, the cap shoud pop out.

Word of caution, the wires inserts are glued to the top part (the cap) while the drivers stay in the bottom part (see first picture). If you use too much force without control
lambda.gif
when the top flies out and it might rip the wire from the driver (happend to me but I soldered it back). And another thing, it’s better to do one side at the time, because the way the plastic swivelling pivot insert into the driver enclosure,it has no apparent logic, you just have to remember the position and orientation.

Sep 2, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Well... I have a Moon Audio Black Dragon doing nothing. Although my first preference over that would be British Home Stores lamp cord
evil_smiley.gif

Thickie question: How do you open these up?

And you'll tell me next the bedside lamp you have next to you has a Zu Mobius on it.
cool.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #10 of 10
Edited... added more questions.

Sorry for the noob question, but what's the filling material? Any ideas on modding the earcups to make them more comfortable?

About reassembly, you say there's no apparent logic in the assembly... sounds like lots of fun.

im surprised this thread isnt getting more views.. i figured the k26p were pretty popular headphones (i mean, there's not too much in the sub $50 small and closed category).

Id love to run into guitar center or somwehre to demo these bad boys, but im stuck in mexico for a while.. so im gathering as much info as i can. All they had in radioshack were the plugs, no ksp in sight. Sony street styles cost an arm and a leg.

I did find eggo D22 knockoffs for cheap, i might have to shell out some $ for those.. it was cheap too.

The search for cheap, small closed phones continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back