Modded Jolida 100 or Music Hall 25 CDPs
Oct 8, 2004 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
These seem to be very popular CD players with modders over at Audiogon with several companies offerring different levels of upgrade for reasonable prices. Also 6 Moons has given very positive reviews for various modded units in the last 1-2 years, I tend to find his recommendations very reliable.

Anyone own a modded unit and have comments of performance level and any reliability issue?
The Jolida with tube output stage seems very interesting choice.

Oct 8, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 25
I bought the Jolida from our newest sponsor, www.soundodyssey.com and loved it. Brice at Sound Odyssey did the level of one mods. I only got rid of it because it wasn't getting the use it deserved.

As others have remarked in past threads, the headphone output was really quite outstanding. I recall with great fondness its smooth, liquid sound, superior build quality, and that nice bit of warmth the tubes convey. If you end up getting it, there are a couple of threads here commenting on various tubes (I had the Electro Harmonix that were a part of the mods and purchased some Sylvania Gold Brands. These latter tubes were really sweet).

Oct 8, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 25
DA,

I've owned the level 1 parts connection modified JD-100 and am not sure it would be for you. I know you're a MuFi man, and based on my expereince with the a308cr (my current source), it is a MUCH different flavor. I found the unit to be lacking resultion/transparancy. Also, bass was pretty bloated unless using vibration controll (aurios were good under it--better so then tripple points). It is truly a musical player, and had a nice warmth/pace to it... You may like it, but I'd suggest digging a bit deeper first.

The midrange really was as nice as people say, but overall I couldn't live with the "duller sound" myself, and don't know if a MuFi guy could.

Fred

P.S. I did not have the clock upgrade to my unit--I'm told that makes a substantial difference.

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
These seem to be very popular CD players with modders over at Audiogon with several companies offerring different levels of upgrade for reasonable prices. Also 6 Moons has given very positive reviews for various modded units in the last 1-2 years, I tend to find his recommendations very reliable.

Anyone own a modded unit and have comments of performance level and any reliability issue?
The Jolida with tube output stage seems very interesting choice.

I owned a RAM Signature Modwright cd-25. It is an excellent cdp with significant mods including a tube output stage. Salt Peanuts has one for sale at the moment here.

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 25
Gopher
Yes would't want a dull or too soft presentation CDP, I do currently use Bel Canto Dac 2 which gives a fuller richer sound than standard Musical Fidelity CDP........would like to add a touch of tube magic though.
cool.gif

How many different CDP's have you had in last 5yrs? (I know you change often)

Do you regret selling any and wish to have them back?

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 25
I think the Jolida has the potential to be really nice with some mods and a tube upgrade. The stock tubes suck ass. I put in some Syl gold pins and that helped a lot, but I would think a clock mod and some power supply mods would do wonders for its resolution and transparency. Sound Odyssey is a sponsor here and has a return policy so I believe so you could try it out. For the price, the modded units really are a bargain.

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 25
DA,

Digital source-wise I've owned the 963SA, Level 1 JD-100a, Meridian 508, Musical Fidelity a308cr, and am awaiting an SACD1000 in the mail (to bring SACD back to my rig). There are also a bunch of cheapies in there, ie. tosh 3950, pioneer 563, etc.

I miss my Meridian sometimes. It was an extreemly nice player, with a very romantic/engaging sound. And whats best is it did a great job with everything.

I'm still becomming acquainted with the a308cr. Its a nice player and all, but isn't quite as versatile. Don't get me wrong, it squashes the meridian with certain things (ie. accapella/warmer modern jazz recordings [patricia barber]), however. It is very transparant and medicore recordings sound... medicre.

That said it has tremendous body, impact and aweseom transprancy both ways. I'd try to check one out--it might be up your alley.

Oct 8, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I owned a RAM Signature Modwright cd-25. It is an excellent cdp with significant mods including a tube output stage. Salt Peanuts has one for sale at the moment here.

Wow..........a Music Hall 25 with "tube garage" popping out of case
k1000smile.gif

Why did you sell yours?

Oct 8, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #9 of 25
Actually, I sold two of them. I had one for my main setup and liked it so much I pick up another one for another room. I then decided (my wife decided) that I didn't need a second set up so sold one. Then (my wife again) bought me an airport express, I picked a dac and figured it was good enough and I could sell the cdp to finance other purchases. It's a very nice sounding cdp. I used to have pics of the before and after of the inside of the cdp. Dan Wright at Modwright does some extensive modifications to the player. Check his website, it will give you the details.

Oct 10, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker
I think the Jolida has the potential to be really nice with some mods and a tube upgrade. The stock tubes suck ass. I put in some Syl gold pins and that helped a lot, but I would think a clock mod and some power supply mods would do wonders for its resolution and transparency. Sound Odyssey is a sponsor here and has a return policy so I believe so you could try it out. For the price, the modded units really are a bargain.

Hey Stryker,
Did you consider getting your old Jolida 100 modded before getting the modded Music Hall 25?

Was money the issue or did you just feel the MH 25 would be better.
Looks like you also have had a few CDPs recently.....expensive hobby
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Hey Stryker,
Did you consider getting your old Jolida 100 modded before getting the modded Music Hall 25?

Was money the issue or did you just feel the MH 25 would be better.
Looks like you also have had a few CDPs recently.....expensive hobby
tongue.gif

My main motivation for the MH over the Jolida was the idea of too much tube euphonia in the signal path. I had already fell in love with the MPX3 and it wasn't going anywhere. When I had the Jolida it felt like it needed a little more detail and the noise floor wasn't low enough for me. Maybe if I had a SS amp it would still be here. Plus the reality of cost was an issue too and I couldn't really afford the higher-end mods to it.

With all the good reviews of tube output stages of late, I'm really interested in hearing them again. The Sound Odyssey place is about an hour away so I am planning soon to take a trip there and do a little comparison of the tricked-out Jolida vs. my MH Hot Rod, among other players. Brice maintains it's a phenomenal player for $2000 so it should be fun.
cool.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
DA,

I've owned the level 1 parts connection modified JD-100 and am not sure it would be for you. I know you're a MuFi man, and based on my expereince with the a308cr (my current source), it is a MUCH different flavor. I found the unit to be lacking resultion/transparancy. Also, bass was pretty bloated unless using vibration controll (aurios were good under it--better so then tripple points). It is truly a musical player, and had a nice warmth/pace to it... You may like it, but I'd suggest digging a bit deeper first.

The midrange really was as nice as people say, but overall I couldn't live with the "duller sound" myself, and don't know if a MuFi guy could.

Fred

P.S. I did not have the clock upgrade to my unit--I'm told that makes a substantial difference.

My experience with the Parts Connexion level 1 Jolida JD100 are much in line with Gopher's. I find it lack speed, detail and attack of high end players like the Meridian or Cary.

Oct 12, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Why are you selling and what will replace this?

I am selling my entire head-fi system for two reasons. First, it just didn't see the use that it deserves. While I did really enjoy listening to my system, I didn't listen to it enough to justify the price I paid for everything. Second, I'm a broke college student. I'd like to get back into hi-fi audio again someday, but for now, it just doesn't make much sense to my financial situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back