modded great march dac impressions
Oct 22, 2006 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

coolshot

500+ Head-Fier
just got my great march dac modded from pacific valve today from Kool Bubba Ice today. Been using it transported by my sony dvd player or my pc's spdif coax output on my motherboard.

Sony dvp-nc85h > audiogon glass toslink>greatmarch> generic ICs>hybrid head>
AD2000

A8N-premium onboard>bluejeans Digital Coax>greatmarch>generic ICs>hybrid head>AD2000

vs just my sony dvd player, the great march produces a more foward presentation and is more detailed. Blackness and bass seemed the same so far. The biggest improvement is on my pc setup. I wonder how this was the same when i still had my x-fi. Although my music on my PC is mainly 128-256kb mp3, its sound pretty damn good. Blackness levels are increased but i attributed that of getting it out the box itself where there is alot of interference. Again with the increased resolution. One thing i definately like is how sounds trail off more naturally instead of sounding cut off or clipping to make way for the next note/vocal.

id like to go and have a dedicated soundcard with bitperfect output to see what it could really do.

Oct 23, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
just got my great march dac modded from pacific valve today from Kool Bubba Ice today. Been using it transported by my sony dvd player or my pc's spdif coax output on my motherboard.

Sony dvp-nc85h > audiogon glass toslink>greatmarch> generic ICs>hybrid head>
AD2000

A8N-premium onboard>bluejeans Digital Coax>greatmarch>generic ICs>hybrid head>AD2000

vs just my sony dvd player, the great march produces a more foward presentation and is more detailed. Blackness and bass seemed the same so far. The biggest improvement is on my pc setup. I wonder how this was the same when i still had my x-fi. Although my music on my PC is mainly 128-256kb mp3, its sound pretty damn good. Blackness levels are increased but i attributed that of getting it out the box itself where there is alot of interference. Again with the increased resolution. One thing i definately like is how sounds trail off more naturally instead of sounding cut off or clipping to make way for the next note/vocal.

id like to go and have a dedicated soundcard with bitperfect output to see what it could really do.

Glad you like it..
smily_headphones1.gif
3000smile.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 5
With the Greatmarch, are you able to have, three components plugged in (lets say, USB for the CPU, Hi-Def tv box for optical, and a cd player for digital) And then when they are all off, turn one on, use it, turn the other off, use it, etc etc. Meaning, can it allow you to plug in multiple components, without it being a problem?

My Great March mod is on the way, but I am already starting to think "Stello" for a DAC. I would hate to have only one component plugged in at a time. Not that I would use two on at a time

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopShelf
With the Greatmarch, are you able to have, three components plugged in (lets say, USB for the CPU, Hi-Def tv box for optical, and a cd player for digital) And then when they are all off, turn one on, use it, turn the other off, use it, etc etc. Meaning, can it allow you to plug in multiple components, without it being a problem?

My Great March mod is on the way, but I am already starting to think "Stello" for a DAC. I would hate to have only one component plugged in at a time. Not that I would use two on at a time

You can.. I had mine connected to my CD player & DVD player.. Just turn one off & turn the other on.. I sold my GM modded DAC to help pay for the XDACv3. It's much more hi end.. & with the upgraded PS & X10 tube buffers I hear it out performs the Larvy10.. I miss the GM DAC though.. Helped smoth out the edges & harshness when coupled with my amp..& great for details..

Oct 26, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 5
i still have to figure it out.
I have it hooked up to the pc motherboard via coax and my dvd player via optical. When i had it configured this way, it would only output to the pc. Since i wanted to web browse and listen to cds on my dvd player, i had to pull the coax. So i guess it outputs to where there is something recieving the signal, but does coax 1 as they priority. So yeah, it doesnt output to all places at the same time, but thats just like a a lot of the higher end dacs out there. Instead they have a selector switch in the back that the GM doesnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back