Modded Audioquest Nighthawk (with Stock and Microsuede pads)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Type
For Sale
Currency
USD
Price
Shipping Destinations
United States
post-14464818
Post #1 of 6

Feilong4

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I'm selling these to get something that isolates a lot more.

Price: 250 USD inclusive of shipping and PayPal fees

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/MC2dA1p

About the mod: The purpose of the mod is to reduce the "reverberation" effect to sound more controlled. I put a fiberglass disc up against the rear grill and stuffed the earcup cavity with Twaron angel hair damping material. The stock damping is also inside.

The result? Less reverb and more linear midrange. Less of an "earcup" effect. It is easily reversible - just remove the damping materials I put in and align the stock damping within the earcup cavity.

I like to EQ, so I'll also share my EQ settings I used with them if you'd like. I'm using Peace GUI or EqualizerAPO.

Condition: It's in excellent condition. I can't find any sorts of imperfections. Works perfectly.

Comes with everything that it originally came with plus Microsuede pads which cost 50 USD new.

From a smoke-less and pet-less home.

Feel free to PM me any questions about the headphones!

Measurements:

Audioquest Nighthawk Mod (Green) vs Stock (Red).png Audioquest Nighthawk Mod EQ vs No EQ.png
Audioquest Nighthawk (Green) vs Sennheiser HD600 (Blue).png

The treble is not as scary as it looks. In my EQ, I have the treble top out around where 1 kHz would top out so that it sounds about right (to me).

Last edited:
post-14465089
Post #4 of 6

faultfracture

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Amazing! Are all of those measurements with the microsuede pads? Did they show any appreciable difference from pleather? Your mods sure look sucessful! More low treble, more linearity in the upper midrange, a slight reduction in midrange. Although, I imagine it's only a couble db... This may make the Nighthawk listenable for me! Any places where you fully detail them? What do you use for a measurement system?

post-14465106
Post #5 of 6

Feilong4

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Amazing! Are all of those measurements with the microsuede pads? Did they show any appreciable difference from pleather? Your mods sure look sucessful! More low treble, more linearity in the upper midrange, a slight reduction in midrange. Although, I imagine it's only a couble db... This may make the Nighthawk listenable for me! Any places where you fully detail them? What do you use for a measurement system?
Yeah, all of the measurements are with the Microsuede pads. I remember measuring them with the stock pleather pads but I might've accidentally deleted them - I can't find them on my computer. I remember pleather showing 1 or 2 db more from 20 Hz to about 800 Hz or so and IIRC a bigger dip between 1-2 kHz.

I haven't documented these yet though I could open them up and take pictures of what I did if you'd like.

I measured them with a MiniDSP EARS with their default compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)