mod: Monoporice 8323
May 17, 2012 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 208

Armaegis

Modern Modder Man of Manitoba
HTML... uphill, both ways!
Plenty of talk of this little $30 wonder here... http://www.head-fi.org/t/569239/monoprice-hi-fi-dj-style-headphone-review

Generally considered a great value, particularly if you're looking for something bass heavy.

Here's my little mod experiment. This is a fairly standard treatment (with variations) that I give most headphones when I'm in the mood to crack them open...

1. Sprayed the cups with a rubber sealant. Sprayed the rear of the driver baffle as well (after masking all the important bits). This is to provide a seal and slightly mitigate those hard plastic reflective surfaces. Do note that this step is very messy. If you were to skip any step, this would be it. 

2&3. Place acoustic foam into the cups. The type I used had a heavy rubber backing. 

4. Double layer of micropore tape over the cup vents. Scrap piece of acoustic foam wedged into the hinge knob, since the hinge actually has a hole that vents directly out and is arguably larger than the cup vent itself. 

5. Vibration dampener (dynamat or fatmat or other) on rear of driver. I just used scrap pieces of whatever I had left. I modded a previous pair that simply had a square rotated 45° on the back. Micropore tape over half the driver vents. 

6. A piece of velour and cotton layered into the cups. I teased out the cotton first, and tried to arrange them such that the wire did not lay directly against the driver but had the cotton sandwiched in between. 

7. (no pic) Cut a large piece of soft thin felt the same size as the baffle plate and stuck it under the pad

Most noticeable sound changes
- better isolation
- bass maybe ever so slightly decreased, but clarity improved
- treble extension greatly improved
- midrance clarity much better (probably due to the treble)
- overall frequency response is bass sloped, with the typical treble wobbles though more subdued than other closed cans

May 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 208
what exact effect does the micropore taping have? I have a few cans with those baffle equalizing vents..  And do you have an exact brand for the spray rubber?

May 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 208
Wow! Thank you SO much for taking my request! I didn't think you would do it, but you did! This community just keeps on surprising me!
beyersmile.png

Edit: Haha, also noticed you live in the same city as me! Cheers!

May 17, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 208
Quote:
what exact effect does the micropore taping have? I have a few cans with those baffle equalizing vents..  And do you have an exact brand for the spray rubber?

From Canadian Tire: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/1/HeatingAirConditioning/WeatherStripping/PRD~0641101P/BK+Roof+Repair+Spray.jsp?locale=en

All the micropore tape stuff made very minor differences, and I wouldn't discount any of it to placebo.  Using solid tape usually has more perceptible differences. That said, here are my thoughts... 
- Taping over the cup vents I find generally improves isolation a tiny tiny bit and gives a bit more "thump" in the midbass
- Taping over the holes on the magnet plate decreased bass
- Taping over some of the driver vents seemed to improve clarity in the bass without sacrificing quantity (from experimenting with grados, popping them open improves bass quantity but it becomes boomier and less controlled)

May 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 208
Added step 7. Cut a large piece of soft thin felt and stuck it under the pad. Gives a bit more body to the bass. 

May 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 208
Hey, these just came in today, and I'm loving them! My first pair of decent 'phones! They sound great! I came here to ask about your opinion on burning these in, do they get better or does not much change? Thanks!

May 22, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 208
I am not a believer in driver burn-in beyond the first few minutes or so loosening things up. What makes a far bigger difference is the pads, which as they break-in will soften and (usually) provide a better seal as well as bringing the drivers closer to your ear, which *does* greatly affect the sound.

Let me know if you ever decide to open them up and experiment.

May 22, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 208
Yeah it's pretty simple to open them up. Don't even have to go through felt. You might have to poke through paper, I don't remember, but it's nothing that can possibly affect sound. 

May 22, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 208
Yes they are. I sprayed them with the rubber coating at the same time as the 8323. I've given the HD25 a similar modding treatment 
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 208
Pretty good actually. It maintains everything I like about them, brings the bottom end up just a little bit more, better isolation, and tames those treble peaks so they aren't quite so piercing at times. 

May 24, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 208
Weird. I thought I had posted here earlier. Guess I didn't!

Either way, I'm a sucker for budget cans, so I placed an order on these yesterday. I'll be using some leftover modding material from my T50RP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back