Mod HD 439 the budget Bass King???
Mar 25, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #16 of 38
Warning, once you mod the 439, the headphone us done for, there's no turning back or reversing it. Yes it's true, once the three holes have been opened up by removing the tape cover, it will turn the 439 into a mega super basshead with full high details that after you listen for awhile your ears will hurt. I would say this mod will turn the 439 into a headphone for critial listening (like for shortwave listening), but for short term only, your ears will thank you at a later age. I did this mod on my 439, I wish that I didn't.

So your saying that having all three holes is too much and to try one and two holes first? As I will be using these 'phones for gaming and general music listening and I require them to be comfortable to listen to for a long period of time and I am young so using these for too long with all three holes open will damage my hearing for the better part of my life.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #18 of 38
Can you elaborate on the "pore hole" particular function?

I removed tape for the middle and the bass is excellent BUT mids are a bit subdued and recessed IMHO. Highs are bit low too.

Do the other hole change the sound other than bass?

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #19 of 38
Ordered a set of these yesterday for modding purposes. Any consensus on the number of holes to expose for optimum sound? Seems that some folks prefer all three while others state one or two. I guess I could start with one and work up. However, this would increase the risk to the wiring which I've read is fragile.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #20 of 38
Ordered a set of these yesterday for modding purposes. Any consensus on the number of holes to expose for optimum sound? Seems that some folks prefer all three while others state one or two. I guess I could start with one and work up. However, this would increase the risk to the wiring which I've read is fragile.

The 439's just has 2 holes. I just opened one and it helped ALOT

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #21 of 38

Thanks. Reading through the threads the impression is that it has 3. Anyway, good to know. I'll plan to do one.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #22 of 38
I concur.  Remove only 1.  all 3 would be like a subwoofer strapped to ur ears.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #23 of 38

Got the 439s in yesterday.  Opened them up, and my set has 3 vent holes (perhaps they went from 2 to 3 sometime during production??).  Anyway, I performed the mod successfully and am very happy with the results.  I ended up removing the tape and reapplying it 90 degrees to cover the middle vent hole leaving the other two exposed.  I just can't get over the sound of these for the $45 I paid.  Great bang for the buck (removable cable and comfort add to the value).

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #24 of 38
Have had these for a few days now.  Still can't get over how good they are.  IMHO, they should be recommended more to folks on a budget looking for bass cans with excellent SQ.  Caveat being that modding voids warranty.  Totally worth it though IMO.

May 4, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #25 of 38
The mod is totally worth it does not just boost the bass but enhances the entire soundstage the sound is bigger and more vibrant ....One hole or all three open sounds the same for bass but the rest of the sound seems to catch up to the enhanced bass when all three are opened ....Heavy bass can tire out your ears but you can easily EQ away the extra bass and it still sounds better than the muted response of the unmodded can....I am no audiophile and flat response is boring to me ...When I want flat and clean I go for open cans like my 598s                                                                                                      

UPDATE....I made the mod on brand new cans as they broke in the bass became more and more pronounced ..too pronounced..NOTE ...unmodded there are three holes covered by the tape the two outer ones are "restricted' to about 50% by a mesh on the tape itself while the center hole is completely sealed by the tape so you effectively have ONE hole open
The best mod seems to be to turn the tape vertically which leaves the center hole completely blocked and the two outer ones completely open ..My momentums seem weak now to the point where I prefer the "center hole only blocked' modded 439s over them and everyone who I have asked to blind test the two agree and most are high end cans guys                                                                                                              

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #27 of 38
So I read this thread and checked around. Normally I like a tight bass but after listening to the Sennheiser HD 439s after burn in for about 60 days I determined that I was maybe never going to be happy with the stock sound. I actually really like them stock for movies. They remind me of theatre houses with sub par sound systems that have thin bass. They are really easy to wear for the time frame of a long movie.

So I finally just said What and did the full three hole modification. I saved the tape so I could maybe cover the middle hole if I ever got sick of the sound.

I have gone into a long test with my demo disks. I have about three CDs which I just know the music on. They have a very tight but complex bass track which I was nervous to demo.

So far so good. I guess I'm happy. Normally though I have to live with a sound signature for a week to really get an opinion. At this point though I really really like it. There is maybe 50% more "air". Considered into account that the HD 439 already have a nice headstage, it is amazing.

The bass is natural and organic. There is a slight smear in a small area of the response which I feel happy living with at this point. Sennheiser documents a frequency response of 17-22,500Hz for them. Interesting as to what they are now.

Did they fill in for the entertainment value which was missing? I think so.

I actually listen to some bass centric IEMs so the improved bass was maybe not as earth shattering as it was for some members. But yes! I know what headphones I'm going to be enjoying for the next month or two!

THX everyone

!https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e6yyThm7DtY

EDIT:
After four days it turned out all three holes open was way too much bass. I have closed off just the center hole with some tape. Will try them this way for a while. So far so good?

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #28 of 38
10 day update.

So I have been living with the mod with the center hole closed only for a week. I actually did not end up using the original tape when going back but just a small piece of light brown thin packing tape.

I am tempted at times to see if the tape is still holding but I'm pretty sure and can tell just by the amount of bass. I wonder how anyone could live with the three holes left open? It was ok in the beginning but ended up just being too much.

I really like these headphones now. I actually use them all the time. They are maybe the most comfortable ever!

Knowing the limits of their sound is really key to loving them. Even with the mod they have a slight distortion in part of the bass. Maybe that is what members have fixed with the Blu-tak material. Still I like them the way they are. I have also noticed they have a better sound with the different portable DAPs I use them with than any home system. There is just a nice smoothness to their sound along with a listenability.

Such a great set of headphones regardless of price.

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #29 of 38
10 day update.

So I have been living with the mod with the center hole closed only for a week. I actually did not end up using the original tape when going back but just a small piece of light brown thin packing tape.

I am tempted at times to see if the tape is still holding but I'm pretty sure and can tell just by the amount of bass. I wonder how anyone could live with the three holes left open? It was ok in the beginning but ended up just being too much.

I really like these headphones now. I actually use them all the time. They are maybe the most comfortable ever!

Knowing the limits of their sound is really key to loving them. Even with the mod they have a slight distortion in part of the bass. Maybe that is what members have fixed with the Blu-tak material. Still I like them the way they are. I have also noticed they have a better sound with the different portable DAPs I use them with than any home system. There is just a nice smoothness to their sound along with a listenability.

Such a great set of headphones regardless of price.

Yeah, I'm liking them too (one hole open.. don't remember which).  To me, they seem to have real good detail retrieval.  Have you notice that?

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #30 of 38
Yeah, I'm liking them too (one hole open.. don't remember which).  To me, they seem to have real good detail retrieval.  Have you notice that?

Yes, it is somehow a nice display of upper treble. First off, I had heard a couple entry Sennheiser headphones and didn't like them. The soundstage is enjoyable. Must have something to do with the driver shape?

I then started to read these wild good reviews for the HD439. So when I saw them I just decided to take a chance. I did not even know about the bass mod on the purchase day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back