MMCX connector repair on SE846
Oct 26, 2017 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

legokangpalla

New Head-Fier
So this is a part rant and part cry for help.
One of my earpiece was jammed with the connector wire and when I disconnected it, the pin in MMCX on the earpiece broke off and got stuck to the wire.
uYPEd7v.jpg

For comparison
nf7AFy5.jpg

I think this is not a serious damage and when I asked Shure Asia to help me get the repair done. They redirected me to a Korean reseller: Sama Sound. Apparently they do not offer repair and are willing to sell me another earpiece for MEASLY 450USD.

Then I asked Shure Asia again if they can help me get it repaired instead of just thrashing it. Their reply:

Hi John,

The earpiece with broken connector is irreparable. Please contact Sama for a replacement earpiece.

Thank you for your understanding.

I mean is it normal to just throw away perfectly working drivers because...their connector broke? I understand I will have to pay for the repairs since its past the warranty period but still paying full price(I think it's more than that as you can grab one for 800USD brand new with all the accessories.) seems like a really hostile way to treat a customer.

In fact, there is this really angry post by another Korean, who managed to find MMCX(apparently these things break a lot) replacement on eleparts and repaired it himself. I doubt I can do this, but I think Shure needs to really reconsider their repair services.

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=earphone&no=693929

If anyone who know of a 3rd party repair service that can fix a broken MMCX connector, I'd love to know.

Dec 14, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 10
I posted in a forum in Korea and they recommended a semi-pro DIYer to fix it. I paid around 50$ for the repair. You can contact him in Naver "cafe"(forum-ish thingy). https://m.blog.naver.com/PostList.nhn?blogId=gevab80

Or I can contact him for you if you don't mind paying the international postage.
Otherwise, your only only options are a) finding a local DIYer, b) paying the absurd sum to Shure to get it repaired.

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm currently in Taipeh and will have a look to JM-Plus this weekend, maybe they know local repair contact.
In 6 Weeks i plan goto Singapore, thats why I was interestet in the shure repaishop you mentioned before.
Or maybe at Jaben, they know some one.
Thanks for your reply, maybe i come back to your offer.

May 14, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 10
1. I’m curious how this worked out?
2. Has anyone come across a repair shop in North America? I’m in the same situation but most shops I’ve found have been overseas and don’t seem to keen on dealing with North America (not that I wanna ship stuff half way around the world either).

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 10
a soldering iron with a very fine tip, a sharp needle to "sand" (or try to) the remainder and then add a blob of solder, enough to be tall, or in ur cable's male end, use a grinder to grind the outter shell until its same level as the central pin. then add solder to the pin to make it taller.
im gonna try these both, starting with the cable coz ots cheaper. but yea, if u have a soldering iron, flux and the equipment, u can make a redneck fix (in theory)

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back