Mjolnir Audio electrostatic amps
May 28, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #16 of 103
  for safety reasons the circlotron has to be in one box.

otherwise there would be an umbilical connector capable
of 8 x 1000v+ connectors. (those things are brutally expensive)

the lemo version is about $400, and you would need 4 of them.

whether its actually one circuit board or not is still under discussion

Yikes! 
blink.gif

May 30, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #18 of 103
Both the Carbon and a shrunk BHSE are for sale on his site. The BHSE is pretty unque, Birgir doesn't plan to make that smaller board one available for public release

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #19 of 103

Birgir said it works fine with 007s, for the KGDT running at 300V. I myself have tried the KGSSHV at 350V and I had no problems with headroom/volume.

I own a KGDT, have been running using it daily for the past several weeks; very happy with it. 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Using it with the SZ3 Stax cans.

I have no point of comparison to a KGST, KGSSHV and BHSE or in using an SZ1. Maybe they are better (in some way). But my guess is, that there are significant diminishing returns that start to come into play beyond this point ($2400) with amp options. The SZ3 is easier to drive and I have no interest in owning an SZ1.

The KGDT comes at a nice "just right" price point, whereby it is in the same range as a new Stax 727 or 007T -- which you need to mod anyway to get something comparable. At the very least, I have much greater faith in the KG design and Mjolnir build relative to the Stax offerings. Birgir has been very responsive in post-sale support and answering my silly questions. Who can say the same for Stax and their mediocre service ethic? No thank-you. Mjolnir is the way to go unless you live in Japan (and even then...).

The KGDT has gobs of power and is quite effortless. Rarely have I had to turn the volume past the 10 o'clock point. It is also very silent, music comes from a blackness. If I were to ever look for an upgrade in the future, I would go for the 009s first and keep the amp. Does the job well. 

I think Mjolnir is a great option after having to put up with Stax amp silliness for the past several years. There was not all that much (good) in amps to choose from in the $2K to $4K range before. Glad there is now a reliable source. Buy with confidence. 

Jun 6, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #22 of 103
I'm currently cannibalizing some hv boards into a carbon, I expect good results. there's also a few versions floating around with improved servos and cascoded ccs parts for the output stage

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #23 of 103
I'm currently cannibalizing some hv boards into a carbon, I expect good results. there's also a few versions floating around with improved servos and cascoded ccs parts for the output stage

I'm definitely not much of a DIY person so I'll definitely just be ordering from Mjolnir Audio hahah.
Seeing that you have the BHSE, I'd definitely be curious as to how you think the two amps compare!

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #24 of 103
my bhse is slightly different from Justin's version but it's my definitely reference amplifier. hard to beat, but I'm pretty optimistic about the newer, simpler amplifiers that Kevin and birgir are developing

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #25 of 103
my bhse is slightly different from Justin's version but it's my definitely reference amplifier. hard to beat, but I'm pretty optimistic about the newer, simpler amplifiers that Kevin and birgir are developing

Did you build your own custom BHSE?
I was already impressed with the 009 paired with the KGSSHV, so the carbon should definitely (hopefully) satisfy my demands hahaha.
I'm also planning on getting a yggy in the future (after I get the SR009 & Carbon), how do you feel it pairs with the 009?

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #27 of 103

I'm curious as to how a Carbon mates better with the 009s better than a BHSE or KBSSHV. What's the word on the street?

Unfortunately only one person has ordered one so far. But according to the Mjolnir Audio website it is supposed to tame the 009s treble and have the best bass of any electrostatic amp yet.

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #29 of 103
You can order whatever he has built. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back