MIYO Portable DAC
Jan 20, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #16 of 35
Yes, that should work in theory - however, we haven't tested on a broad range of Android devices. The main hindrance in using MIYO with a smartphone is that the smartphone cannot provide enough power to MIYO, so you end up with a power supply/battery, MIYO, and the smartphone. Given MIYO's design objectives, it just wasn't possible to make it work natively on the tiny amount of power smartphones/tablets provide.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #17 of 35
Thanks Jon, and I'm looking for a longer USB cable to replace the one the MIYO came with (a bit short for some situations but ideal for others). Will any standard usb cable with Micro terminator do here or do you recommend an alternative. I note in the promo shots it's shown with a much longer USB cable so interested.
Thanks,

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #19 of 35
Thanks Jon and for anyone interested in a portable solution I'm powering the MIYO with a USB power bank 5000mAh. I'm then connecting the MIYO to Fiio X5 v2 headphone out using a Fiio L17 cable. CIEMs being used are Unique Melody Miracles. It's not the smallest solution but still not much worse that many other stacks I've seen but the sound... very lush and 3D with the MIYO. I find the X5 2 to be very flat, clinical and 2D when unamped (quite disappointing really). I'll post my luck running of an OTG USB cable with a Samsung Galaxy note.

PS tried running the MIYO through the Line out on the Fiio and it works but there is no volume control so it's just a tad loud. Interesting how it almost worked perfectly... 

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #20 of 35
I wonder in that case if you could use an in-line attenuator (in-line variable resistor, transparent with respect to audio quality) between MIYO and the headphones to bring level down slightly? 

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #21 of 35
If anyone is looking for more discussion, the thread over on gearslutz has a little more activity https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1033804-has-anyone-tried-miyo-interface-dac-adc-yet.html

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #23 of 35
  I'll be using it with a HifiMan 400s, which is only about 30 ohms.

Will it be too powerful?

I don't own either, but think that's only a problem if you set the volume too high. Believe this uses your computer's volume controls and doesn't have its own.
Some good reading on the subject:

http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=1285
http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #25 of 35
Hi,

Been using my MIYO since it arrived nicely packaged after my Kickstarter bid.

Sound quality:

Clean, crisp and powerful, normally use Mac's and the difference between the standard Mac output and via the MIYO is enormous, the extra drive, headroom, and dynamics is amazing.

Would not now be without my MIYO, I use it to drive a Crimson power amp and a pair of Tannoy Little Reds, my favourite thing is to play Royal Blood at trouser flapping volume, the brilliant drive and dynamics as I mentioned above make this a silly smile moment, it sounds fantastic!!!!

Also use it to drive Focal Studio's and again the punch and range is brilliant, clean and powerful.

The MIKO also acts as a high quality 2 channel input device, I have not used it for this purpose so far, but I would have no hesitation in doing this should I need to as I'm very sure it will work as well as an input as it does as an output.

Build quality:

Beautiful, simply and obvious. Clever use of solid anodised aircraft quality aluminium body precision machined to act as a heat sink for internal devices without need for conductive paste, this means it feels pretty warm to the touch which comes as a surprise to start with bit once you know this is the designs intention it stops being a concern. Good quality connections well supported by case.

Operation: 

In case of a mac, just plug it in, use preferences to select as output device, choose track, play and relax.. Smile as you here what your MIYO sounds like..

My experience has been 35 years in a recording studio that would almost certainly be listed in the world's top 5, large PA's, broadcast, etc so I have heard a lot of things over the years, given the price of the MIYO and its overall delivery of outstanding audio I can 100% recommend it. GRAB ONE!!

Rup :wink:

Oct 16, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #26 of 35
I just tried paring with 64 Audio U8 and U12. This dac is a good match for 64 Audio U series. Recommended.

Hope to see a new kickstarter campaign of this team.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #27 of 35
H2 Design already re-stocked MIYO. For those who interested in this product, it is your chance for grabbing one now.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #28 of 35
I may have missed it but in all the discussion (and the current Massdrop) I don't see the actual DAC or headphone amp being utilized.

Based on some deduction, someone claimed it has teh same DAC as another device, which would be the Burr-Brown PCM1792A.

Can anyone verify?

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #29 of 35
I may have missed it but in all the discussion (and the current Massdrop) I don't see the actual DAC or headphone amp being utilized.

Based on some deduction, someone claimed it has teh same DAC as another device, which would be the Burr-Brown PCM1792A.

Can anyone verify?

I assume that you means you go to the official site (specs) and you didn't find DAC chip no. Am I right?

However it is explained in another page there or you can go to this KS campaign and look up to Update section.

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #30 of 35
I assume that you means you go to the official site (specs) and you didn't find DAC chip no. Am I right?

However it is explained in another page there or you can go to this KS campaign and look up to Update section.

Not on the specs page either.

Why is it such a big secret?  Usually from DAC/Amps it's a no-brainer to advertise that info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back