Mixamp + HD598 + Modmic for a PS4
Jul 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #31 of 43

Hi,

I'm thinking to buy similar set for my PS4:
- ASTRO MixAmp Pro
- Philips Fidelio X1/00
- Antlion ModMic

I have tried to find information about the set up on PS4 so I kinda hope that some one could help me here.
1. After I have connected ASTRO MixAmp to my PS4. I just add Philips Fidelio X1 and Antlion ModMic to the Y-cable that comes with the MixAmp? I don't have to plug microphone to controller?
2. Does the mute button on the ModMic work on PS4?
3. Should I consider V-Moda BoomPro -mic? 

With V-Moda BoomPro -mic my worries are:
A. It does replace the cable of the Fidelio X1. Can it affect to the sound quality?
B. Does the both connections (mic and audio) go to the MixAmp or does something go to DS-controller?

I have really enjoyed reading this tread because the amount of great information. There is so much mixed "information" around the internet that I am really confused.

Thanks,
Major Tipton

The Boompro is a much better solution with the X1.  It will affect the sound, but actually in a good way.  There's lots of talk about this in the MLE thread.

Using it with the PS4 is easy because I don't think you need anything plugged into the controller.  Don't even need a Y cable with the Boompro.  It's very slick.

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #32 of 43
Stillhart,

What do you mean by that it will affect in a good way? Would you please link the thread.
Do you think mute -button will work in BoomPro with PS4?

Thank you very much of your fast answer. :)

- Major Tipton

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #33 of 43

What do you mean by that it will affect in a good way? Would you please link the thread.
Do you think mute -button will work in BoomPro with PS4?

I mean the stock cable has a high impedance and a lot of people replace it.  The Boompro makes the X1 sound better (slightly less congested) than the stock cable.  I speak from experience, but it's also documented in the MLE thread (I don't have the link handy, it's the biggest thread in the Video Game Forum and probably how you found your way to this website).

Yes, the mute button should work.

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #35 of 43
  Sounds very good. Thank you alot. I will start searching. :)

Is there better alternatives for Astro MixAmp Pro for PS4 that I should consider?

- Major Tipton

You could try for a Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D USB, which is better in some ways, but is pretty much just the same thing but different. There are a few options in the MLE guide.

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #36 of 43
Sorry for joining the party late. Here's what I can say:

Regarding the mute button, it does work, since it's hard wire, it simply cuts the mic connection to the system. 

Regarding the MixAmp Pro, it's a great solution and I'm really happy with it, so if you can find it, I highly recommend it. Just make sure you update your PS4 to the latest firmware, connect the MixAmp Pro to the USB port AND the optical port and change your settings on the console as follows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG9-zQVdLWo

The ModMic is nice, but the quality of the mic is average and I'm a bit disappointed. The BoomPro looks great and as StillHart said, replacing the factory cable of the X1 will improve sound quality. 

The one issue I would point out though is that a lot of posts and reviews point to the fragility of the audio port on the X1 and using something like the BoomPro might force you to plug and unplug the cable often and force you to test the solidity for yourself.

In my personal experience, I haven't found it to be more or less fragile than any other regular port. It's true that it seems to simply be a hole in the casing and in that sense, it can give an impression of fragility. But so far, I didn't find this first impression to be warranted. What I did was get a cable from Monoprice (from their mobile series) and just leave it into the headphones, plugging it wherever I need them (MixAmp Pro or the headphone Amp). However, I haven't had them long enough to give a definitive opinion on the subject, so if ever you find yourself plugging cables in and out of your X1 often, at this point, I would just advise you to be careful. 

UPDATE: If you use the BoomPro, you can connect it directly to the input port of your MixAmp Pro without any other adapter (no Y adapter needed)

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #37 of 43
Just wanna note that testing the BoomPro's resistance was much, MUCHhigher than ANY headphone cable I have ever tested, including the X1 stock cable. I'm talking about vast amounts higher.

So in essence, the BoomPro cable should actually sound WORSE than the stock cable. That being said, changes from cable to cable have been incredibly subtle in every single aspect, and when you're too busy gaming and using voice chat, the small differences will be even harder to spot.

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #38 of 43
Just wanna note that testing the BoomPro's resistance was much, MUCHhigher than ANY headphone cable I have ever tested, including the X1 stock cable. I'm talking about vast amounts higher.

So in essence, the BoomPro cable should actually sound WORSE than the stock cable. That being said, changes from cable to cable have been incredibly subtle in every single aspect, and when you're too busy gaming and using voice chat, the small differences will be even harder to spot.

Thank you very much. I had no idea.

I also want to point out that I've been able to significantly improve the quality of the ModMic by placing it further away from my mouth. It's next to my cheek now and the PS4 recognizes my voice better. I have to do some more testing, but things have improved. It just picks a lot of background noise.

Aug 30, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #39 of 43
Well, this will be the end of this thread and I have a very sad news, my D100 died in smoke!

The good news? I'm happy with everything I've gotten. The X1 is great and I love to use it when listening to music or just playing my PS4. The MixAmpPro is fantastic although the volume know is annoying and the ModMic is ok.

However, today, the D100 from Yulong died. I'll be honest, I don't know if it was my fault or not. It died in abnormal circumstances. I had to show a video in public, so I decided to use the D100 with my computer (as I usually do) and connect it to a speaker instead of headphones. I was expecting the sound to be too low. I turned the volume higher than usual (close to the maximum) and the volume was alright, because the room was small anyway and the people listening were close to the speaker. 5 minutes into using it, I see smoke coming out of the unit. I switched everything off. Waited for the unit to cool and opened it. It seems a couple of components overheated and affected the circuits in charge of the volume. Now, even after letting the unit cool, when I plug my earphones I hear a loud buzz sound and the unit starts smoking again, even if there's no sound going through.

Yeah, I'm very disappointed and for all those complaining about Chinese manufacturers on this forum, this one is for you! But I stay positive. This was my first foray into audio and I've loved every minute of it. This is a sad experience, but I've learned loads of lessons and it gives me a good reason to tell my wife I need a new amp. So there's a bright side.

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #40 of 43
Oh no that sucks! Sorry to hear that dude. :/ Any plans for your next one?

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #41 of 43
Yeah. I'm thinking of the Bitfrost-Valhalla 2 to prepare for the Fidelio X2 that's been creeping up in Europe. What do you think. And by the way, did I do something wrong or was the unit faulty?

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #42 of 43
  Yeah. I'm thinking of the Bitfrost-Valhalla 2 to prepare for the Fidelio X2 that's been creeping up in Europe. What do you think. And by the way, did I do something wrong or was the unit faulty?

You're not really supposed to use a headphone amp to drive speakers, so I suspect it was a combination of it being overworked and then giving out?

Re the Bifrost/Valhalla, I admit I'm not a big fan of Schiit.  I think they're overhyped on here and you can get a lot better value from other brands like Yulong and Audio-GD.  That said, I don't have any experience with their higher-end stuff so I can't really say from experience.  I am eager to hear more about the X2 tho.  :-D

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #43 of 43
I understand your point, but given my humble knowledge in electrical engineering, I would have thought the D100 would have some sort or fail safe to prevent this sort of malfunction. I probably shouldn't have used a speaker, but it's design 101 to plan for something that isn't meant to be there.

Anyway, given my experience with Yulong, you'll understand why I'll pass. One factor that counts a lot for me is availability in Canada. If I can get something without paying excessive shipping, customs and still get a warranty, that's a huge plus for me. I'll check out Audio-GD, but I know Schiit is easily available here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back