Mixamp + HD598 + Modmic for a PS4
Jun 12, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #16 of 43
  how come they never compare a modded 558 with a stock 598 in the second review? yet they compare a modded 558 with a modded/stock 555?

They actually did compare the two. Here's the paragraph straight from the review.

On the first HD558 & HD598 article, I had posted a mod that was supposed to make the HD558 closer to the sound of the HD598. As with many modifications, however, when you gain some you also lose some. And the HD558 mod does sacrifice some amount of bass control, resulting in a slightly boomy bass area. Without going into too much detail on other changes with the mod, I felt that in the long run, the stock HD558 configuration is the better version, and I’ve reverted my HD558 back to the stock configuration. Ultimately, the HD598 is still the better version between the two.

I think the answer is simpler. As shown on videos of the mod, you really have to be willing to take your headphone apart and really be careful to make sure you don't snap a cable, all this for an improvement that is questionable. I'm sure your friends didn't find any difference between modded 558 and stock 598, but there are so many things to take into consideration, from hardware to sample sizes to inherent biases. Ultimately, I'm not saying the mod is a bad thing, and for those who are interested, I've included a video at the bottom and I suggest you go to this post to learn more. I'm just saying that this is something that only such a small number of people will do that Sennheiser probably doesn't care about it and it's not something I would be comfortable doing. I'm going for the Fidelio X1 anyway.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #17 of 43
"
hen you thought that the review is done, there is yet another page where I’ll tell you how to do a HD558 to a HD598 conversion.

The problem with the HD558 mainly lies in the fact that it doesn’t have as full of a midrange as the HD598. If you like things simple, you can just get the HD598 and instantly get the better sound. Of course, when these things hit the stores, the two of them may differ from anywhere to $50-$90 (just a rough guess). So, for those of you who dig black color, or want to save some money, here is how you can turn the HD558 to a HD598 twin brother (very close, but not quite a 100% identical)."

no not 100% identical but close enough it's better off you just buy a HD 558 and mod them.

also in the second review they go into detail with other comparisons but just say the 558 loses some tightness in the bass, but doesn't go into directly how they compare but more about what the differences are.

read the original review, it's a complete turn around and then they don't do a direct comparison but talk about the changes more than compare the 2. I also think they had to state that the HD598 is the better of the 2.

look at the comments section

"Hi mike,

great review by you.i am really confused between two models hd558 and 598. Both are great headphones but Iam unable to decide which one should i go for.I need a little help in choosing,which one would be better for music/gaming/movie.Should i spent extra amount of dollars( if u sugggest me 598 ) for a small difference between them.give me suggestion based upon my usage.

thanks in advance..:)"

"Bobby,
The 558 should be better for gaming music and movies."

that was posted by the reviewer only a year ago (well after the second review).

it's a conspiracy all the clues are there in front of you.

Jun 28, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #18 of 43
  For Canadians out there, Futureshop has one Mixamp Pro left (there used to be two, but guess who got one
biggrin.gif
) and for the life of me I couldn't find one on any other Canadian website. newegg.ca and best buy.ca have both run out and only Amazon US has some, but between customs and shipping, you do pay a premium. The price on Futureshop is on par with the rest of the market and I got free shipping. If any Canuck is interested, better act fast.

I got the last one at futureshop thanks to your post. Anyways after using the mixamp with the PS4 and call of duty, it is far superior to a regular DAC through USB or optical. I can now pinpoint exactly where people are on the map and where bullets are flying from. At first I thought my ears were just not trained to locate the sounds. Not so at all. The mixamp almost perfectly simulates sound around you. I can't believe I haven't been using this thing the whole time.

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #19 of 43
I agree with you, the spatial positioning of the sound was what blew me away. I'm still burning in my X1, but OH BOY do I like them!!! I'll post a more comprehensive review later, but for now, I love the Mixamp on the PS4, less so on my MacBook Air. It's still better than nothing, but for classical and jazz, I feel it's missing a little bit of warmth and mids. I'm also a little disappointed with the ModMic. It's practical and it does allow me to use the best headphones ever, but mic quality seems a bit lacking. The PS4 does have a hard time recognizing my commands sometimes and the quality doesn't always sound optimal.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #20 of 43
The Mixamp isn't really meant to be used for music.  It's kinda crap for that.  You probably want to get a decent DAC/Amp or just amp for your computer.  Even something like the $200 Schiit stack will sound fantastic with the X1.

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #21 of 43
  The Mixamp isn't really meant to be used for music.  It's kinda crap for that.  You probably want to get a decent DAC/Amp or just amp for your computer.  Even something like the $200 Schiit stack will sound fantastic with the X1.

You planted a seed (thank you, it's a good seed) and I've been overwhelmed by the amount of information. What DAC/Amp would you recommend? Here's what I've been considering:

1. Aune T1
  2. Fiio E17
  3. Schiit Magni and Modi
  4. Little Dot MK III

My usage case is sitting with my MacBook Air 2013 listening to classical, jazz, rock and rap once every blue moon (I'm thinking small desktop amp and USB DAC)

I decided to focus on a setup that is right for the X1 since I'm planning to keep them for a while. I'm not worrying about upgradability. I'll get another DAC/Amp when I upgrade to new headphones in a few years. That means I'm thinking of something along the 200$-300$ line. I don't think I really need more since the X1 are really easy to drive (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm halfway through burn-in on the X1 and right now I came to the conclusion that I'd like to give a little more power to the mids to get a warmer sound during classical pieces mostly. For now, I'm using the Mixamp (better than nothing), but I usually turn off the Dolby sound, which helps get a better sound when using it for Music on my Mac.

Finally, I just want to say that I truly love the X1 and I want to thank Stillhart and the other members of this forum for your help and recommandation. I literally jumped when I started playing Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. As the drum started, my mind got blown off! It has given me a new interest in listening to music. The Mixamp + X1 combo is absolutely awesome on my PS4 (much prefer it to my living room speakers) and I'm just over the moon. Again, thanks!

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #22 of 43
It looks like you like the tube sound in theory.  I've never heard a tube headphone amp so I can't speak to them from experience.  I know they tend toward the warm side and I personally thought the X1 didn't need more warmth; I find the X1 to be a bit recessed in the mids and highs so more warmth would be too much for my personal taste.

In my opinion, I'd go with something on the neutral-to-bright side.  But that's a personal taste thing.  If you want warm, more power to ya.

Question: do you need something portable or is a desktop solution okay?  At your price range, you can get some really nice desktop units.  I'd recommend something like the Yulong D100 (neutral-to-bright), Audio-GD NFB-11.32 (neutral-to-bright), Audio-GD NFB-15.32 (warm).  I have both the Yulong D100 and the 15.32 right now to compare both and see which I liked better.  I decided to keep the 15.32 because it pairs slightly better with my Q701.  For the X1, I think the D100 would be a better choice; I think it's overall a better sounding unit when paired with the right cans.

I gotta get my D100 back on the classifieds... so busy tho...

EDIT:  Oh and be careful of the T1; it's a tube DAC, not a tube amp.  If you use the built-in headphone amp, you won't be using the tube part at all.  I've heard it sounds good, but it might not be the sound you're looking for.

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #23 of 43
You did it again! You brought me something I had never thought of and completely rocked my frame of mind :) Thank you!

First off, I misused the word "warm" when I wanted to say "bright". My apologies. A review of the glossary set me straight. So yes, I'd wish a little brighter sound when listening to classical and jazz. Although, I will say that it is much less of a problem after burn-in, but it's still there.

I'm looking for a Desktop amp (don't need mobile) and you are right, I am very much interested about tube amps in theory, simply because I love the concept and I'm a newby. However, after reading around, the D100 seems like a cheaper/better choice for what I'm looking for (decent USB DAC and a bright amp that provides more boost to the mids). I also have to deal with the fact that amps are hard to find on Canadian online stores. I checked out the D100 MKII, but I don't think the upgrade adds much in the way of brightness. It's warmer, but I really don't think that's needed with the X1, so I would settle for the D100.

From what I gathered, you were looking to sell yours. Let me know (PM) what's your price and I'll see if my wife still loves me :) In the meantime, thank you again for your help and recommandations.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #24 of 43
Update: After more than a week with my D100/Fidelio X1, I have to say I'm having a lot of fun! This is my first real setup and I am truly enjoying it. I listen to jazz and classical and it's great. Pop/Rock is even more exciting. I find myself discovering new instruments on pieces I've listened to forever, all of a sudden I'm smiling because a piece moves me and playing PS4 on the MixAmp/Fidelio X1 so much more enjoyable than with my current living room speakers (Logitech Z5500). I highly recommend this for those who are looking to get into the audiophile world.

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #25 of 43
I just read back through the thread and realized you pretty much got everything I recommended.  Man am I glad you're liking it!  WHEW!!! 

Keep enjoying.  And don't forget to throw away all those old MP3's that are V0 or <320k.  You will be hearing all kinds of new things once you upgrade to FLAC (or at least 320k MP3).
beerchug.gif

(Welcome to Head-fi!  Sorry about your wallet!)

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #27 of 43
Well, I mostly have CDs, but there was a time I got songs on iTunes (they're encoded in iTunes Plus AAC 256 Kbps 44.1 kHz). What is your view on that? I also purchased DVD-Audio and a couple of Blu-ray Audio to try out. My personal impression is that it really depends on the mix. Some show real improvement. Ella and Louis has a nice background noise that makes me think I'm listening to an old record. Beethoven no 5 and 7 shows real improvement over the iTunes version, but Nevermind from Nirvana not so much. This is based on ABX testing I did on my Mac. Are my first impressions correct?

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #28 of 43
I feel the K612 actually has more bass presence than the 598...

Well, since you came to this thread, may I thank you for your work on the gaming headsets. I'm sure you have already been told, but it's not only impressive, it truly helped me get the foundations to get started. What do you think about the bass of the K612 compared to the Fidelio X1?

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #29 of 43
  Well, I mostly have CDs, but there was a time I got songs on iTunes (they're encoded in iTunes Plus AAC 256 Kbps 44.1 kHz). What is your view on that? I also purchased DVD-Audio and a couple of Blu-ray Audio to try out. My personal impression is that it really depends on the mix. Some show real improvement. Ella and Louis has a nice background noise that makes me think I'm listening to an old record. Beethoven no 5 and 7 shows real improvement over the iTunes version, but Nevermind from Nirvana not so much. This is based on ABX testing I did on my Mac. Are my first impressions correct?

I think the X1 is a little more forgiving than something like the Q701 so 256 will probably be fine.  And yes, you can definitely tell when an album has been mastered well.  The best headphones in the world can't make a crappy mix sound great.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #30 of 43
  I'm also a little disappointed with the ModMic. It's practical and it does allow me to use the best headphones ever, but mic quality seems a bit lacking. The PS4 does have a hard time recognizing my commands sometimes and the quality doesn't always sound optimal.

Hi,

I'm thinking to buy similar set for my PS4:
- ASTRO MixAmp Pro
- Philips Fidelio X1/00
- Antlion ModMic

I have tried to find information about the set up on PS4 so I kinda hope that some one could help me here.
1. After I have connected ASTRO MixAmp to my PS4. I just add Philips Fidelio X1 and Antlion ModMic to the Y-cable that comes with the MixAmp? I don't have to plug microphone to controller?
2. Does the mute button on the ModMic work on PS4?
3. Should I consider V-Moda BoomPro -mic? 

With V-Moda BoomPro -mic my worries are:
A. It does replace the cable of the Fidelio X1. Can it affect to the sound quality?
B. Does the both connections (mic and audio) go to the MixAmp or does something go to DS-controller?

I have really enjoyed reading this tread because the amount of great information. There is so much mixed "information" around the internet that I am really confused.

Thanks,
Major Tipton

Users who are viewing this thread

Back