Mix Tapes
Jun 14, 2005 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Dorfmeister

100+ Head-Fier

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 23
"High Fidelity" was so true. John Cusak played me in high school, I swear. I even eschewed the high quality metal or even high bias tapes because the normal bias were the only ones to come out with 120 minute length cassettes. And dammit, if there was even 1.5 seconds left on the end of a tape, I made damn sure I had something clever to put on it! The best was starting a tape with psuedo-splicing, sampling and dubbing your way to a snapshot of that tape to set the theme...

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 23
I also do enjoy the making of the ultimate compilation.
Looking for the best song to start of.......and work up to an climax and finish with a big bang.

I often make one for friends and most of the time I try to give the compilation some sort of theme. For example only songs with a X in it or only songs about Rosie. Or just something weird.

badadada ba I`m lovin` it... and yes HIGH FIDELITY is such a great movie.

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 23
Having spent most of my life squarely in the CD (and now the SACD) era, I was never exposed much to tapes. My mix CDs always sounded awful, largely because I made poor rips of already poorly mastered junk. However, the sheer brilliance of the juxtapositions and combinations was astonishing, causing several states to ban my presence, my mix CDs were confiscated and burned at the border.

I still mourn my all-Rush mix CD.

Jun 15, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 23
I love mix discs! I've even gotten so anal that use Soundforge sound editing software to adjust everything to comparable volumes (current rock albums are recorded at much higher levels than pre-90's stuff). Here's the lineup from one of my recent mix discs:

The King (or Queen) of the Eyesores
(depending on which verse you’re listening to)
or, “Gen. Apathy & Maj. Boredom Singing ‘Whatever and Ever Amen’”

1. NRBQ: Ain’t No Horse
2. Daniel Johnston: My Life Is Starting Over Again
3. Jonathan Richman: I was Dancing in the Lesbian Bar
4. Modest Mouse: Float On
5. Weezer: Buddy Holly
6. Pere Ubu: Cloud 149
7. Liz Phair: Flower
8. The Fall: Cruiser’s Creek
9. Screamin’ Jay Hawkins: I Put A Spell On You
10. Eels: Flyswatter
11. Ed Harcourt: Undertaker Strut
12. Thinking Fellers Union Local 282: Undertaker
13. Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci: Murder Ballad
14. Eels: Novocaine for the Soul
15. Skott Freedman: Fairy Tales
16. Ben Folds Five: Battle of Who Could Care Less
17. The Shins: New Slang
18. Yo La Tengo: Can’t Forget

Jun 15, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
I love mix discs! I've even gotten so anal that use Soundforge sound editing software to adjust everything to comparable volumes (current rock albums are recorded at much higher levels than pre-90's stuff). Here's the lineup from one of my recent mix discs:

The King (or Queen) of the Eyesores
(depending on which verse you’re listening to)
or, “Gen. Apathy & Maj. Boredom Singing ‘Whatever and Ever Amen’”

1. NRBQ: Ain’t No Horse
2. Daniel Johnston: My Life Is Starting Over Again
3. Jonathan Richman: I was Dancing in the Lesbian Bar
4. Modest Mouse: Float On
5. Weezer: Buddy Holly
6. Pere Ubu: Cloud 149
7. Liz Phair: Flower
8. The Fall: Cruiser’s Creek
9. Screamin’ Jay Hawkins: I Put A Spell On You
10. Eels: Flyswatter
11. Ed Harcourt: Undertaker Strut
12. Thinking Fellers Union Local 282: Undertaker
13. Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci: Murder Ballad
14. Eels: Novocaine for the Soul
15. Skott Freedman: Fairy Tales
16. Ben Folds Five: Battle of Who Could Care Less
17. The Shins: New Slang
18. Yo La Tengo: Can’t Forget

OK Mark, this looks kick ass. I'm very impressed by your usage of Gorky's and The Shins and Yo La Tengo especially. I've probably made over a hunnert since the last cd I gave you. We're not supposed to talk about trading cd's here on this board so I'll send you an email.
biggrin.gif

BTW, here's the last one I did ("Metaphysical Linguini")

01 Guided by Voices - Chasing Heather Crazy
02 Wheat - World United Already
03 Grandaddy - El Caminos in the West
04 Snow Patrol - Chocoloate
05 Blonde Redhead - Melody
06 Califone - Bottles and Bones (Shade and Sympathy)
07 Jay Farrar - Cahokian
08 Songs: Ohia - Just Be Simple
09 Sun Kil Moon - Gentle Moon
10 British Sea Power - Blackout
11 Monroe Mustang - Spirts of Unfreedom
12 The Wrens - Hopeless
13 Superchunk - Out on a Wing
14 Built to Spill - Carry the Zero
15 Appleseed Cast - Steps and Numbers/Sentence
16 Sparta - Lines in the Sand

-jar

Jun 15, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 23
bah, ripping tunes on a disc will never have the same appeal to me. did no one else have that fearful expectation, when you turned on your blank tape to record, you are listening, listening for that blank strip to hiss over to magnetic tape, then you pounce on your unpause button where your song was waiting RIGHT at the spot where the music started? or if you had a crappy deck, unpausing would make a little "whoop" sound so you'd have to juggle unpausing your song first, then let it run in silence for a nanosecond while estimating when your blank tape would roll over to magnetic tape...

or at the end of the tape praying that the tape will hold out for 5 more seconds, hoping to squeeze the proper fadeout of your song on there...

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
bah, ripping tunes on a disc will never have the same appeal to me. did no one else have that fearful expectation, when you turned on your blank tape to record, you are listening, listening for that blank strip to hiss over to magnetic tape, then you pounce on your unpause button where your song was waiting RIGHT at the spot where the music started? or if you had a crappy deck, unpausing would make a little "whoop" sound so you'd have to juggle unpausing your song first, then let it run in silence for a nanosecond while estimating when your blank tape would roll over to magnetic tape...

or at the end of the tape praying that the tape will hold out for 5 more seconds, hoping to squeeze the proper fadeout of your song on there...

oh yea, went through all that, I probably have made several hundred mix tapes in my life.. I think my first one was songs from American Top 40 back when I was 10 years old. Then I did a bunch of metal ones, then a bunch of college radio mixes, lots of dub and electronic mixes too.

I think since I did so many on tape, doing the cd mixes was a whole new world because I could do things I could never do before like cross fades and switching the order after-the-fact.. But I do have to admit that the sound of vinyl recorded to tape is just so damn comfortable.. I think mix tapes are very good documents of the times they were created, simply because you <can't> go back and change them (well you can, but who did that??).

I do love my mix tapes, but I think I'm done with those, unless somehow a mint condition Nakamishi Dragon somehow falls into my lap
smily_headphones1.gif

-jar

Jun 16, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 23
A recent mix cd i created.

Theme From Dead Man- Neil Young

Dissolved Girl - Massive Attack

The Golden Age - Beck

Transatlanticism - Death Cab for Cutie

Such Great Heights - The Postal Service

Biological - Air

Holes - Mercury Rev

These Days - Nico

As I Sat Sadly By Her Side - Nick Cave

Gulf Shores - Palace Music

100,000 Fireflies - Magnetic Fields

Lo Boob Oscillator - Stereolab

Jun 16, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

oh gosh... i feel so old because i remember doing all that! all the pausing and fading and stuff. i also get the "mixed tape" syndrome when i'm done recording a mixed tape, i didn't have the appetite to listen to it because i already did when i was recording it.
eek.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 23
Tapes were fun to make but dreadful to listen to in my pre HX-Pro days
wink.gif
- and yes TDK MA-X was my tape of choice.

I remember how anxious I got whenever I taped something off the radio. There was light rotation on the stuff I liked so I had to pounce on the tape deck at the first beat of my favorite songs. Since I was mixing compilations, I had to wait until the right bar, and then set the peak levels. My heart was pounding as I had to get it all right. Man I was such a geek back then... still am
3000smile.gif

This morning I made a mix cd for the car ride. Drag & drop and click burn. On the road to mixed cds, getting there isn't as much fun as tapes, but the results are better to me.

Jun 16, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Jahn, I don't think this post is going to sell any of the youngsters on the idea of the mix tape
tongue.gif
. I remember doing it and the idea of making compilations is great but the mechanics of matching levels and timing things perfectly and then d'oh-the-tape-ran-out-mid-song! was never much fun for me. Compilation CDs and playlists make it much less of a pain. In defense of the mix tape, though, you were much less likely to go fast-forwarding and just listen than nowadays when you can see the next song on your playlist or hit the seek button for the nex track on a CD. People could give you a tape and say, "listen to this, you'll like it" so you'd put it in and get an hour of surprises.

Jun 16, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #13 of 23
ya man to me making a mixtape of music for someone its like im molding their listening. ive been told im a great composer, and it could take me like 1 week to make a mix cd but when its done its perfect. i mean im not saying im the best but ive been told i always put dope stuff in a mix cd

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #15 of 23
A bump from the dead for my latest passion. Using Audacity, I've been trying to create the perfect mix, mashing everything together into one track then using fade-outs, volume changes, early track cuts, sound clips and whatnot. It's grand fun, and probably the closest you can come to a digital mix tape. My current mix, put together during a rather crappy day...

Alice in Chains - Over Now (Unplugged)
Pantera - screwing Hostile
The Faces - Ooh La La
Leftover Salmon - Lonesome Johnny Blues
Sepultura - Drug Me
Raimundo Sodre - M'Ban Samba
Metallica - Dyers Eve
S.O.D. - Kill Yourself
Nine Inch Nails - Piggy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back